SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Nokotas

GeauxSioux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Standing Rock group is waiting right up until the deadline to request an extension from the board of higher ed. I'm convinced that

if given time, i.e., the Board hadn't prescribed this deadline, the Standing Rock tribe will have a vote on the nickname, and it will mirror the

vote at Spirit Lake, maybe even higher. Since at Spirit Lake, Erich Longie and his crew went around the weekend before the vote with flyers

claiming that Ralph Engelstad referred to them as prairie N---ers. Still vote was 67% approval.

FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER!

Do you think you'd laugh as hard as I do when I see a giant rat on skates?

Rat? I see a half-breed rodent bast..., er, off-spring.

Squirrel buck teeth. Beaver flat tail. Chipmunk (not gopher) striping.

Goldie's mom must've had lots of ... friends. :angry:

Nokotas..... SERIOUSLY?! ok Dr. Seuss...I will do more then $*!% myself. I have to agree,I think Im more worried about anti-Fighting Sioux ingrates getting more say in the matter. Bottom line is....NCAA etc; dont really care..they just want us to get permission so the rest of the ingnorant people in this world will shut the %$@* up already!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Nokotas..... SERIOUSLY?! ok Dr. Seuss...I will do more then $*!% myself. I have to agree,I think Im more worried about anti-Fighting Sioux ingrates getting more say in the matter. Bottom line is....NCAA etc; dont really care..they just want us to get permission so the rest of the ingnorant people in this world will shut the %$@* up already!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Agreed.

That's why I say...

NEIGH!

• 4 months later...

I had someone ask me about this one today. I still like it. If UND were to go the animal route, this is the one that I would choose.

Edit: See page one of this thread for the reasons why Nokotas would be a good name.

Edited by GeauxSioux

I have not read this thread in awhile, so I went back to page one and could not believe how many people like this name. Say the entire school and nickname together as if you were going to use it in a sentence: University of North Dakota Nokotas. It doesn't make sense, sounds like a stuttering problem. It is even worse with my North Dakota accent, like many of us have. I just hope that this nickname is not taken seriously and if we are given the option to vote for a name I will be voting for NO new nickname. Just have 'NORTH DAKOTA' put on all jerseys.

I have not read this thread in awhile, so I went back to page one and could not believe how many people like this name. Say the entire school and nickname together as if you were going to use it in a sentence: University of North Dakota Nokotas. It doesn't make sense, sounds like a stuttering problem. It is even worse with my North Dakota accent, like many of us have. I just hope that this nickname is not taken seriously and if we are given the option to vote for a name I will be voting for NO new nickname. Just have 'NORTH DAKOTA' put on all jerseys.

Noorth Daaakooota Naaakooootaaass!

I'm with you on both counts here.

Nokotas seems like someone is just trying to hard.

I agree that Nokotas by itself doesn't come off very well, but Wild Nokotas does. Well. at least in my head it does. :D

And as for your stuttering comment... as someone who stutters, I find it hostile and abusive and I'm deeply offended. Where do I sign up to be a victim? :glare: