SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

Roughriders has nothing to do with cowboys and indians... It's Teddy Roosevelt 's unit in Cuba during the Spanish American War. Seems a stretch to me historically speaking. But, then again the state flag, is that of the "Roughriders".

Wouldn't Roughriders be hostile and abusive to any Spaniards or Americans of Spanish descent? :ohmy:

The University of North Dakota adopted the nickname Roughriders in 2011. The nickname honors the brave men and women who serve in our military forces. They epitomize hard work, a fighting spirit, and winning battles. They defend our freedom and our way of life. Please be loud and proud and exhibit good sportsmanship as you cheer on your team tonight.

-10 for you... and by no means am i bashing on our armed forces... +1 putting it this way, makes me almost breathe a little bit about that EVER being UND's name... total = -9

• Downvote 1

Really? Really? Of all the great reasons to choose to go to the University of North Dakota, you would not attend UND if its athletic teams were called the North Dakota Roughriders, but you would attend if the teams were called the North Dakota Roughnecks? As much as I personally dislike Roughnecks as a nickname for the athletic teams, it would not stop me from choosing UND. To pass on the opportunities that can come as a result of having the University of North Dakota on your resume because of a nickname just seems short-sighted.

not to mention gophers!

Didn't a guy named Corban Knight start his Fighting Sioux obsession by a cool hat he saw at an airport or something... the fighting sioux hat, which eventually led to being a fighting sioux? Obviously hes talented but would he have gone to UND before another school without that cool logo and nickname becoming his favorite for no apparent reason? at 9 or 10 years old or whatever he was???

Didn't a guy named Corban Knight start his Fighting Sioux obsession by a cool hat he saw at an airport or something... the fighting sioux hat, which eventually led to being a fighting sioux? Obviously hes talented but would he have gone to UND before another school without that cool logo and nickname becoming his favorite for no apparent reason? at 9 or 10 years old or whatever he was???

We don't know what he would have done. He could have ended up at UND anyway, or he could have gone another direction. I'm also guessing that he made his final decision to attend school at UND based on more than just the nickname and logo; like having a great hockey program, a wonderful arena, great coaching staff and possibly educational opportunities. A great nickname and logo are wonderful marketing tools, but they aren't the only thing. You need a good package to be successful.

I would be willing to bet the Bennett Brien will create another artistic logo for UND that will look every bit as good on a cap for the new nickname, whether a Roughrider, Nokota or even a Roughneck. One of the really appealing things about the Fighting Sioux logo is that it stands by itself and it is readily identified without the need for the Sioux name sprawling across it like so many nicknames.

I understand you don't like the nickname "Roughriders," but if your opinion is in the minority your argument of kids choosing to come here because of the popularity of the nickname works against you.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Dredging up an old thread, but check out list one or list two of state nicknames and you will find:

Razorback State (Arkansas)

The Bear State (California)

Buffalo Plains State (Colorado)

Blue Hen State (Delaware)

Alligator State (Florida)

Hoosier State (Indiana)

Hawkeye State (Iowa)

Jayhawk State (Kansas)

Terrapin State (Maryland)

Wolverine State (Michigan)

Cornhusker State (Nebraska)

Tar Heel State (North Carolina)

Buckeye State (Ohio)

Sooner State (Oklahoma)

Coyote State (South Dakota)

Volunteer State (Tennessee)

Mountain State (West Virginia)

Badger State (Wisconsin)

Cowboy State (Wyoming)

The flagship university in every one of those states has a nickname synonymous with (one of) its state nicknames. Since North Dakota's are Flickertail State (been there, done that wink.gif ), Sioux State sad.gif , Peace Garden State (can't think of a way to incorporate this), or Roughrider State, it only makes sense that we would pick Roughriders as UND's next nickname. It sounds good, has great logo possibilities, would be unique among colleges and universities in the U.S., and to top it off, is one of North Dakota's state nicknames which keeps with tradition at UND and around the country.

I know that many would view Red River HS having the same nickname as a drawback but there will be drawbacks no matter what nickname is chosen. As I've seen The Sicatoka mention many times on this board, we need to control what we can and voice our opinion on a new nickname soon or have something lame thrust upon us. Thoughts on Roughriders?

These were my thoughts almost 5 years ago. Glad to see so many people finally seeing the light and beginning to rally around Roughriders as the top choice because it is the only name that makes sense.

These were my thoughts almost 5 years ago. Glad to see so many people finally seeing the light and beginning to rally around Roughriders as the top choice because it is the only name that makes sense.

It's amazing what an utterly atrocious list of finalists will do to people.  ;)  

• Upvote 2

Amazing its almost a decade since I first proposed it.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/4554-possible-replacement-names/?p=165791

#165 Cratter

Members5,779 posts0 warning points

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

The state of Minnesota nickname is The Gopher State.

The state of Nebraskas nickname is the Cornhusker State.

The state of Wisconsins nickname is the Badger State.

The state of Michigans nicknames are The Wolverine State,The Great Lakes State.

The state of Iowas nicknames are The Hawkeye State, The Tall Corn State.

The state of North Dakotas nicknames are Peace Garden State, Roughrider State, Flickertail State

I see a trend that I would like to see continue.

I hate roughriders for a lot of reasons but it doesn't at all fit the criteria of being unique.  So it is likely what we will end up with and I will be a miserable SOB about it for a while.

It is unique to NCAA athletics.  UND does not play any high schools in the region.  Nor do they play in the CFL.  I would guess that can be said for just about every possible nickname,,,other than possibly Nodaks.

• Upvote 1

I didn't know where to post (or if I should post this), but in light of this thread, I found it appropriate. Sorry for the book, but enclosed is an email I sent to Karl Goehring (who I am told by UND PR is gateway to the committee). I never received response or any indication that he had a chance to read it (sent yesterday so possibly not enough, and I imagine his inbox is flooded of late), but the nickname is something I care about, whether that be a merit or demerit to my personal state/character. In light of recent events I did not want to let the proceedings go by without saying my peace, into which I put a significant amount of thought and tried to comprehensive in respect for any readers. Once again, I sorry for the length, but I felt brevity was not of higher priority to completeness of thought in light of this matter. Jim, let me know if I am spamming your website too much with this post.

The Case for Rough Riders

To the Nickname Committee and UND Stateholders,

I urge you to push Rough Riders forward as you continue the important assignment in which you have been tasked. To all UND stakeholders, allow me to present the case for Rough Riders to be the symbol of our university. If we view the inclusive process of the first nickname task force to be representative of the collective conscious of UND stakeholders, I think the criterion set out by that task force is a good format off of which to operate. The characteristics determined by those efforts are the frame in which I will present my rationale.

Representative of the State: There are many real and symbolic ties to the Rough Riders and the great state of North Dakota. The last surviving member of the group, Jesse Langdon, was a North Dakotan. The state flag of North Dakota is mimicked off of regimental flags carried by infantry units and the Rough Riders in the Spanish American war (and the Philippine Insurrection). The state goes by the unofficial slogan of “The Roughrider State”, and our state’s highest civilian honor is the Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider award. Finally and perhaps most significantly, North Dakota shares a special connection with the leader of the Rough Riders, Colonel Roosevelt. North Dakotan natives are well versed that Roosevelt claimed that he would not have been President without his time here. As President, he said of North Dakota, “Here, the great romance of my life began”.  He was an active citizen during his time in Dakota Territory, as he was chairman of the Stockmen’s Association and a Billings County Deputy Sheriff. He gave “his first great national speech” at the first ever Independence Day celebration in Dickinson where he spoke very strongly of the merits of ‘the great state of Dakota’. Before he left his cattle business, there was much rumor that he would be the first senator when North Dakota was granted statehood. However brief his time here was the connection with Colonel Roosevelt and North Dakota is real and significant. In the highest office in the land, the Colonel was our state’s biggest advocate. I think it’s fitting to reciprocate those honors.

Pride, Strength, Fierceness, and Passion: The name Rough Riders epitomizes these qualities. They showed ferocity in charging across open ground to an uphill fortified enemy position. Their strength allowed them to take Kettle Hill and siege Santiago.  The passion of the Rough Riders is evident as the Rough Riders were a volunteer regiment. The pride of the Rough Riders lasted throughout their lifetime as they held annual reunions.

Sense of community: The Rough Riders were a collection of many elements of American society at the time: cowboys, prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans, Ivy League athletes, police officers, and veterans. They came together across their many differences to achieve great victory and help thrust their country into a world power. This coming together of different backgrounds is a goal of American communities.

Honor the past/Look to the future: This name directly honors the past, as the exploits of the Rough Riders date more than a century again. The name also looks to the future when one thinks of the state’s Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider Award. This award is given to North Dakotans of the highest achievement reflecting credit and honor upon North Dakota and its citizens, leaving a lasting impact and legacy for those to come.

Uniquely Recognizable to North Dakota: It is true that other athletic teams have used the name Rough Riders; however, at the Division 1 collegiate level, Rough Riders would be unique to the University of North Dakota. I believe that the University of North Dakota using the name would be particularly recognizable as North Dakotan with the unofficial state slogan and the Rough Rider Award given by the North Dakota Governor’s office.

The first task force also identified other qualities deemed important such as formidable, strength/power, unique, honor, intimidation, representative, and beauty. Expanding on how Rough Riders hits the mark on these additional qualifiers would be repetitive to what was already been stated. The fact that Rough Riders hits the mark on all the standards provided by the input of multiple stakeholders across UND’s community, and in often cases exemplifies the stated criteria, leads to an objective conclusion that this the name we have set out to find. I urge those who would not have UND be the Rough Riders, due to its adoption by a Grand Forks high school, to look past this detail. If the only reservation to Rough Riders you hold is the presence of Red River High School’s nickname, and I hope you can momentarily ignore that fact and review the merits of Rough Riders without that biases and realize that the scope of the University and its proud athletic programs go beyond the circumstances of this coincidence.

The name Rough Riders comes through on all aspects set out by the Task Force. It demonstrably personifies many of those characteristics. Rough Riders is a name which has provided immense pride across the great State of North Dakota. It is a name that can provide great pride for that same great state’s flagship university.  

Eric P. Nelson, UND 2012

really nice job

Additionally, as has been pointed out by Cratter, besides the association with Teddy R, rough riders were men who broke wild horses or who rode untamed horses.   So there is another association for the nickname as well which would fit the frontier history of North Dakota