SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

Even "Rawhiders" would be better than any of the present choices, except staying just "North Dakota". It would commemorate the ranching and driving of huge cattle herds that's historically occurred in ND.

Rolling rolling rolling...

Rolling rolling rolling

:)

Considering how far its already made it even though no one on the "outside" even thinks its slightest acceptable. Sundogs has already won.

I know The Sicatoka has mentioned several times how divisive the name "Sundogs" is, yet here we are, with it having a 1 in 7 shot at being our new nickname. Just wait until it's got a 33% chance and watch the sweat start rolling down some foreheads.

• Upvote 1

Even "Rawhiders" would be better than any of the present choices, except staying just "North Dakota".  It would commemorate the ranching and driving of huge cattle herds that's historically occurred in ND.

You seem fixated on Roughrider as a military term. Roughriders is more or less interchangeable with Rawhiders in meaning, plus more.
  • Upvote 1

The best name and option of the 7 is easily North Dakota. I fully expected that among the hundreds of names submitted that something would emerge from the pack and make sense as a new moniker for UND but for whatever reason it just didn't happen. Maybe it was in the original pack of names and was hastily removed. Of the names left, North Dakota is the best option since it doesn't tie us down to a mediocre name like Roughriders or Green Hawks and down the road if a name organically makes sense we can make the transition then....North Stars is head and shoulders above the rest but just doesn't fit unfortunately. The rest don't even quality as mediocre.

I will always support UND no matter which direction they go, but again for me, nothing here would dissuade me from remaining a Fighting Sioux and referring to UND in that manner.

Doesn't tie us down = Leaves the option open to spend another $100,000+ in a couple years to have a consultant tell us Kelly Green Hawks is the way to go.

Schools now don't organically get a name.  They go through a process.  You're never going to get consensus on a name, even the greatest nickname ever Fighting Sioux.  

There are 7 names left.  (6 technically).  Please tell me a better name form the reaming list that you think UND should adopt as their new nickname?  We all get it.  This process has been a s#%t show.  You are not alone in your thinking.  But face reality.  UND's new nickname is one of those final 7.  It's true, a lot of good names are not one of the remaining names.  That sucks.  This is what we are stuck with.  For better or worse.  Again, tell me a better name from the 7?

Happy to answer that.  Here's my order of preference:

0)  Fighting Sioux (had to work that in)

1)  North Dakota

2)  North Stars

3)  Nodaks

4)  Fighting Hawks

5)  Sundogs

6)  Roughriders

7)  Green Hawks

I can assure you the difference between 1) and 2) is large, and more massive between 2) and 3).  Then from 4) on it becomes a blur of apathy and indifference.

That's where I'm at.

• Upvote 1

Happy to answer that. Here's my order of preference:

0) Fighting Sioux (had to work that in)

1) North Dakota

2) North Stars

3) Nodaks

4) Fighting Hawks

5) Sundogs

6) Roughriders

7) Green Hawks

I can assure you the difference between 1) and 2) is large, and more massive between 2) and 3). Then from 4) on it becomes a blur of apathy and indifference.

That's where I'm at.

When you start a serious campaign to rid ND of the Rough Rider nickname, you and your ilk will be much more believable.

1)  North Dakota

2)  North Stars

3)  Nodaks

4)  Fighting Hawks

5)  Sundogs

6)  Roughriders

7)  Green Hawks

I can assure you the difference between 1) and 2) is large, and more massive between 2) and 3).  Then from 4) on it becomes a blur of apathy and indifference.

That's where I'm at.

I just can't take much stock in any list that has Sundogs higher than Roughriders.  Not saying that Roughriders has to be #1, but how the heck can Sundogs be anything other than #7 on a list of these 7 names?

• Upvote 2

1)  North Dakota

2)  North Stars

3)  Nodaks

4)  Fighting Hawks

5)  Sundogs

6)  Roughriders

7)  Green Hawks

That's where I'm at.

Wow, I agree with your entire ranking other than Sundogs.  That has to be #7 behind Green Hawks.

1)  North Dakota

2)  North Stars

3)  Nodaks

4)  Fighting Hawks

5)  Sundogs

6)  Roughriders

7)  Green Hawks

That's where I'm at.

1)  North Dakota - not a nickname.  it's our state name. 

2)  North Stars - nickname for Minnesota. 

3)  Nodaks - what is a Nodak?  What's the logo going to be besides the wrd "Nodaks"

4)  Fighting Hawks - not awful, but why do we have to the the Fighting _______'s.   

5)  Sundogs - probably the worst nickname idea ever.  Abdominal snowmen was better!!

6)  Roughriders - Best possible option among remaining names that most fits the criteria laid out by the committee.

7)  Green Hawks - so unorriginal that we paid 100K to have experts come up with the PC garbage!

So using that rationale, Roughriders is 1, Fighting Hawks is 2nd (but a distand secod) and the rest are pure garbage.

(IMO of course) :)

I just can't take much stock in any list that has Sundogs higher than Roughriders.  Not saying that Roughriders has to be #1, but how the heck can Sundogs be anything other than #7 on a list of these 7 names?

Tough to argue with you on that one.  I'm surprised myself at where that ended up.  I started going through a period of intense self reflection, then remembered that names 4-7 were of no particular relevance to me so I turned to napping instead.

• Upvote 4

3)  Nodaks - what is a Nodak?  What's the logo going to be besides the wrd "Nodaks"

4)  Fighting Hawks - not awful, but why do we have to the the Fighting _______'s.   

5)  Sundogs - probably the worst nickname idea ever.  Abdominal snowmen was better!!

6)  Roughriders - Best possible option among remaining names that most fits the criteria laid out by the committee.

7)  Green Hawks - so unorriginal that we paid 100K to have experts come up with the PC garbage!

So using that rationale, Roughriders is 1, Fighting Hawks is 2nd (but a distand secod) and the rest are pure garbage.

(IMO of course) :)

And soon to be UND's permanent sports identity!  It's the only choice.

Indeed.  But it's a great name and the thought of the angry Goofer pushes this one up for me.  I would have completely understood if this one got removed early on.

Can't argue with this.  Awful.  But, not unbelievably epicly awful like others.

Because we are mad and want to fight.  In fact the Hawk wants to bring a whole can of whoop-a$$ on someone, somewhere, right now.  Why?  Because it has to be the logo everyone hates, and therefore it's bringing it old school, to everyone.

Ha!  I do wish that one stayed on the list.

I'm not on the committee, so I don't care about the criteria.  If I were on the committee, they would have already picked the name North Dakota because I am so good at persuading folks.  Especially when I bring beer.  And, if this name gets picked, we are going to need lots and lots of beer.

Yep.  That's why it's last for me.  Color + Animal = Safe.

• Upvote 1

When you start a serious campaign to rid ND of the Rough Rider nickname, you and your ilk will be much more believable.

North Dakota's official nickname is the Peace Garden State. I'm not sure how our "ilk" would go about officially ridding North Dakota of an unofficial, historically inaccurate nickname drummed up by the ND Dept. Of Tourism.

But we're open to suggestions.

North Dakota's official nickname is the Peace Garden State. I'm not sure how our "ilk" would go about officially ridding North Dakota of an unofficial, historically inaccurate nickname drummed up by the ND Dept. Of Tourism.

But we're open to suggestions.

Good luch in your endeavors.  Might be easier to convince the NCAA to let UND use the Fighting Sioux name again!!

Write the legislators to have them have it removed from The states nicknames website would be a good first step for you.

Sorry- I guess i should have explained I was being facetious.

The legislature has twice struck down efforts to make Roughriders the official state nickname- that's good enough for me.

The legislature has twice struck down efforts to make Roughriders the official state nickname- that's good enough for me.

They've struck down efforts to put it on our license plates.  By your definition (that the nickname be enshrined in century code in order to be official), North Dakota does not have an official nickname.

They've struck down efforts to put it on our license plates.  By your definition (that the nickname be enshrined in century code in order to be official), North Dakota does not have an official nickname.

In 1957, the legislature formally adopted Peace Garden State as the official nickname.  (North Dakota Century Code, Section 39-04-12.) 

I'm not sure how much more official you can get.

It seems every time I state a fact on here about the Roughriders myth, I get accused of being wrong, only to later prove i'm right.   I guess that's how fairy tale legends of Roughriders being from North Dakota get spread.  Bully!

In 1957, the legislature formally adopted Peace Garden State as the official nickname.  (North Dakota Century Code, Section 39-04-12.) 

I'm not sure how much more official you can get.

It seems every time I state a fact on here about the Roughriders myth, I get accused of being wrong, only to later prove i'm right.   I guess that's how fairy tale legends of Roughriders being from North Dakota get spread.  Bully!

So do you suggest that UND become the Peace Gardeners then?!! :)

But which years was it that the Legislature struck down the "Roughrider State" name specifically as you stated earlier?