SiouxSports.com Forum

expected signings

4siouxnow

• 3 weeks later...

Two players to look at: Shauna Long of Standing Rock and Sasha Golus of Belcourt. Shauna has over 2,000 points going into her senior season and was a two time first team all-stater at the Class B level. She also led her team to the state tournament the past two seasons, including the semi-finals this year. Sasha led Class A in scoring as a sophomore and was second as a junior. At 5'11", she has had to play out of position for a smaller Belcourt team, but plays like a guard. An excellent rebounder and scorer, she can slash from any position and has the potential to play at this level. She hasn't played at the state tournament yet but Belcourt is expected to be a top team this coming season. I've already heard from reliable sources that UND was already advising Long to get registered with the NCAA Clearing House before her junior year. I hope either or both of these two become UND players!

Two players to look at: Shauna Long of Standing Rock and Sasha Golus of Belcourt. Shauna has over 2,000 points going into her senior season and was a two time first team all-stater at the Class B level. She also led her team to the state tournament the past two seasons, including the semi-finals this year. Sasha led Class A in scoring as a sophomore and was second as a junior. At 5'11", she has had to play out of position for a smaller Belcourt team, but plays like a guard. An excellent rebounder and scorer, she can slash from any position and has the potential to play at this level. She hasn't played at the state tournament yet but Belcourt is expected to be a top team this coming season. I've already heard from reliable sources that UND was already advising Long to get registered with the NCAA Clearing House before her junior year. I hope either or both of these two become UND players!

I know Long and her family have attended a UND game or two in the past. It's hard to say how much mutual interest there is, but I assume there is at least some interest.

I know Long and her family have attended a UND game or two in the past. It's hard to say how much mutual interest there is, but I assume there is at least some interest.

We haven't had great success with NoDak kids lately in the program; don't seem to pan out and be the legit DI players we need to win. Hope one or both of these work out for UND but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

We haven't had great success with NoDak kids lately in the program; don't seem to pan out and be the legit DI players we need to win. Hope one or both of these work out for UND but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

By that logic, I quess we should only sign gals from Kittson County or Roseau Country, where we have had terrific recruits.

Those counties are more like North Dakota than Twin Cities recruits, and yet they yielded two of the best players in Sioux history.

By that logic, I quess we should only sign gals from Kittson County or Roseau Country, where we have had terrific recruits.

Those counties are more like North Dakota than Twin Cities recruits, and yet they yielded two of the best players in Sioux history.

You are correct, they did yield 2 very good players. In the history of UND Women's basketball, I don't think your logic holds much water either. I've been around basketball for many years, I know DI talent when I see it. If you believe UND will win conference titles in a league besides the one they're in now with kids from Belcourt, Fort Yates, etc. you go right ahead and believe that. When I tell you that the recruiting base needs to be Minneapolis, the state of Wisconsin, and other neighboring highly populated states, you should trust me that I know what I'm talking about.

You are correct, they did yield 2 very good players. In the history of UND Women's basketball, I don't think your logic holds much water either. I've been around basketball for many years, I know DI talent when I see it. If you believe UND will win conference titles in a league besides the one they're in now with kids from Belcourt, Fort Yates, etc. you go right ahead and believe that. When I tell you that the recruiting base needs to be Minneapolis, the state of Wisconsin, and other neighboring highly populated states, you should trust me that I know what I'm talking about.

Just an FYI, South Dakota State has succeeded at the Division I level with players from South Dakota State. Jenn Warkenthein, the 2009 Summit League Player or the Year and AP H.M. All-American, didn't have any other Division I offers and came from a very small town in South Dakota with no AAU/summer experience (that I know of). That throws out the logic that a player has to come from metro-Minny and Wisconsin to be D1 in ND. A college coach can always refine a home grown player who already has the groundwork needed to compete at a high level.

Just an FYI, South Dakota State has succeeded at the Division I level with players from South Dakota State. Jenn Warkenthein, the 2009 Summit League Player or the Year and AP H.M. All-American, didn't have any other Division I offers and came from a very small town in South Dakota with no AAU/summer experience (that I know of). That throws out the logic that a player has to come from metro-Minny and Wisconsin to be D1 in ND. A college coach can always refine a home grown player who already has the groundwork needed to compete at a high level.

A player, of course. A roster with 8-10 players, no. No one has ever said we shouldn't try and get the local players that have DI talent, or even potential. I am of the opinion that we currently have too many players without DI talent. We can all find the "one" diamond in the rough but to build a DI team that can go to the National tournament, like SDSU, you have to recruit and win the recruiting battles against other DI schools like SDSU, NDSU, Creighton, Northern Iowa, etc. You may even have to win a kid from a Big 10 school. We haven't done that yet and probably won't until we're in a better conference and eligible for the National Tournament.

• 4 months later...

Didn't we sign (or get a committment) from a real young guard from the Mpls. area a year ago or so who was really young , like maybe a 9th grader. What is going on with her. Is she still in the picture.?

I think you're referring to Josie Dillon, who is now a junior. To the best of my knowledge, she's still committed to UND.

I'm definitely excited about Roerich, I think she has some great potential. Her, already very good skills are going to get better as she gets to college and gets stronger and quicker. Frydlund is a project, but has a good blood line and has some athleticism to build off of. Don't know too much about the girl from Hopkins, but it will be interesting to see Burck and her in back to back classes, so we should have personnel for the PG spot for the next 4 to 5 years.

With Lauck & Wall...and I think Buck will be good in the long run, I think we have pieces in all 5 spots around the floor, now the key is to add depth.

• 2 months later...

I would assume that the Sioux are looking to get bigger and faster. I don't think Farroh is fast enough to play at the level Roebuck wants to play. She is probably strong enough, but honestly, I question if she can play the spot like Madi Buck or Corey Lof, and I would rather have Houdek and Wall.

I would bet they use Shyla Kuehl's scholarship to get a Youngblunt type of player with a quick first step, someone who is game ready whether that is a JuCo player or not, I don't know. It was obvious when they played Gonzaga that they needed some depth at the 4 spot to match up with the best teams in the nation. Since then they have pulled the redshirt on Buck, and they need one more player.

I would assume that the Sioux are looking to get bigger and faster. I don't think Farroh is fast enough to play at the level Roebuck wants to play. She is probably strong enough, but honestly, I question if she can play the spot like Madi Buck or Corey Lof, and I would rather have Houdek and Wall.

I would bet they use Shyla Kuehl's scholarship to get a Youngblunt type of player with a quick first step, someone who is game ready whether that is a JuCo player or not, I don't know. It was obvious when they played Gonzaga that they needed some depth at the 4 spot to match up with the best teams in the nation. Since then they have pulled the redshirt on Buck, and they need one more player.

Farroh is a true 5 in H.S. For her to transition to playing a 4 in college would take a few years. She doesn't run well enough, put the ball on the floor, or shoot the ball from 17-20 ft. to be a 4 in UND's 4 out offense.

That being said, she is better than Houdek was at this age, she is waaaaaaaaaay better than Evers was at ANY age, and I believe she is better than the Warmack girl from EGF who is playing at Bemidji St.

Sometimes though, a person just has to appreciate a kid for being a very good, excellent, high school player who may not be a DI player because there are certain physical skills they maybe don't have. 1000 pt./rebounds for her career are amazing numbers and a testament to how hard she works and plays every night. For me that's good enough regardless of what she does after high school. Young bball players in this community can learn a lot from watching her play. She does it the right way!!!

Farroh is a true 5 in H.S. For her to transition to playing a 4 in college would take a few years. She doesn't run well enough, put the ball on the floor, or shoot the ball from 17-20 ft. to be a 4 in UND's 4 out offense.

That being said, she is better than Houdek was at this age, she is waaaaaaaaaay better than Evers was at ANY age, and I believe she is better than the Warmack girl from EGF who is playing at Bemidji St.

Sometimes though, a person just has to appreciate a kid for being a very good, excellent, high school player who may not be a DI player because there are certain physical skills they maybe don't have. 1000 pt./rebounds for her career are amazing numbers and a testament to how hard she works and plays every night. For me that's good enough regardless of what she does after high school. Young bball players in this community can learn a lot from watching her play. She does it the right way!!!

Well said and I appreciate the insight. I have been wondering about her ability to play at a higher level.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Roehrich scored 31 last night. Who has seen her play? Will she be a major contributor next year?

I am of the opinion that she will struggle as a freshman at UND. She only shoots 25% from the 3 pt. line and has scored 89 pts. from the FT line already this year (she is ave. 10 FT att./game). While her overall FG% is good (45%), I don't believe she'll get the same shots in college she gets in H.S.; she is not going to shoot 10 FT's a game in college.

She is a tough one to figure. Her career in V-ball and Bball tell us she is a good athlete but if you watch her play, she doesn't blow by people with the dribble or anything special. She shoots a lot of layups off their press and, again, a lot of FT's. I would be interested to know how many DI offers she had before committing to UND. My guess is not very many. Wouldn't be surprised if the look hard at Redshirting her so she's a freshman in year 1 in the Big Sky.