SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to USD's 2008 schedule discussion on our forum. There is also a lot of talk again about us playing twice next year. This is serious discussion as the schools are structuring it as a season ending bowl possibly being played at the Metrodome. I heard this straight from USD's AD Nielson. It is, like I said, only an idea right now.

Here's the links: Dakota Bowl link

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index...read=1194624997

IMHO, the UND football program need periodic games within Minnesota for recruiting purposes (both for athletes and students). With no NCC and no Gopher games for the near future, a "bowl" game becomes an option.

Rather impresssed with USD's schedule, so far, especially UNI and MSU. Thought UND would have both those teams on its schedule, but apparent UND will have neither. Since SUU will be coming to the Alerus in 2008, doubt they would also go to Vermillion. Also, Cal Poly wouldn't travel to Vermillion until 2009 (just like UC-Davis won't travel to UND til 2009). Seems like only Rolla and WTAMU are sure home games for USD (SE La might be possible).

UND

Cal Poly

Southern Utah

Missouri-Rolla

Montana St

UNI

SE Louisiana

WTAMU

From Yote 53 on the Coyote board:

This is still in negotiations but this is how this is supposed to work out. It is impossible to schedule a game after the first weekend in Nov because every FCS team leaves it open in case they make the playoffs. So USD and UND are talking about playing a "Bowl" game against each other to end the season. the location of this game depends on where the GWFC schedules the UND/USD regualr season game. If it is at USD, UND's plan is to move the "Bowl" game to the Metrodome. If it is at UND then USD would play the game at home. They would play this "Bowl" game arrangment for the five years we are in transition.

I don't doubt it's impossible to schedule FCS games once the playoffs start, so why not just play the annual USD-UND game the second week in November and call it a season? Playing a team twice in a season stinks of desperation. And so does playing in the metrodome for no reason. I know there are a lot of alumni in the Twin Cities, but playing in a 3/4 empty Metrodome de-values the schools IMHO. That is something NSIC schools do.

From Yote 53 on the Coyote board:

I don't doubt it's impossible to schedule FCS games once the playoffs start, so why not just play the annual USD-UND game the second week in November and call it a season? Playing a team twice in a season stinks of desperation. And so does playing in the metrodome for no reason. I know there are a lot of alumni in the Twin Cities, but playing in a 3/4 empty Metrodome de-values the schools IMHO. That is something NSIC schools do.

I agree with that last part. I don't, however, see anything wrong with playing twice. I am glad to see that the schools are at least trying to think outside the box and give the fans a good product and the student athletes something to look forward to. Who knows, it could turn into something real special. I would rather play the Sioux twice than I would see USD play a sacrificial NAIA or D2 team. At least it would be a good game.

I agree with that last part. I don't, however, see anything wrong with playing twice. I am glad to see that the schools are at least trying to think outside the box and give the fans a good product and the student athletes something to look forward to. Who knows, it could turn into something real special. I would rather play the Sioux twice than I would see USD play a sacrificial NAIA or D2 team. At least it would be a good game.

I guess if scheduling is going that poorly, then we should do it. But I really think it should be a last resort kind of thing. It would be a short-term fix to scheduling woes. I can't imagine either school would want it to continue indefinitely.

A little early for talking about the 2008 season for the Sioux, unfortunately, after next week, that is what we will be talking about down south.

I was wondering if any of you have heard what your prospective schedule will be? I have heard down here that there is talk between our schools of setting up 2 games a year between the U's, a home and home, one nonconf one conf game for the first couple of years.

It's not a bad idea. I remember playing against SDSU twice a year back in the 90's to fill out a good, competitive, interesting schedule. So it is not unprecedented, and it is better than playing a D2, D3, or NAIA.

Your thoughts.

Two games a year plus a potential playoff matchup. hmmm

Overkill

Last night FSN televised a replay of the UMary - Northern State football game that recently took place in the Metrodome. It took me a minute to realize it wasn't a high school game. It seemed there were maybe a few hundred people in the stands. It was embarrassing. The message it portrays is "let's let the kids play in the big boys stadium". That's fine if you're in high school, and maybe even for the NSIC, but certainly not if you're a Division I university. I realize UND-USD would outdraw Mary-Northern, but I don't think it would draw well enough for it to have a "big game" feel. I don't want any part of a UND-USD game in the Metrodome. Let's save the games in the big DI-A stadiums for when they are real, not contrived.

Last night FSN televised a replay of the UMary - Northern State football game that recently took place in the Metrodome. It took me a minute to realize it wasn't a high school game. It seemed there were maybe a few hundred people in the stands. It was embarrassing. The message it portrays is "let's let the kids play in the big boys stadium". That's fine if you're in high school, and maybe even for the NSIC, but certainly not if you're a Division I university. I realize UND-USD would outdraw Mary-Northern, but I don't think it would draw well enough for it to have a "big game" feel. I don't want any part of a UND-USD game in the Metrodome. Let's save the games in the big DI-A stadiums for when they are real, not contrived.

I agree 100%. You get 20,000 or even 30,000 in the dome, and it is only half full at best.

I agree with that as well. The MetroDome is to cavernous.

We should either, if this comes to fruition, swap the games back and forth or maybe play somewhere close to halfway between. Hey, we could play in the FargoDome, that way the people there have the chance to see some good, quality football. It might not be big enough to hold the overflowing crowd, though.

I agree with that as well. The MetroDome is to cavernous.

We should either, if this comes to fruition, swap the games back and forth or maybe play somewhere close to halfway between. Hey, we could play in the FargoDome, that way the people there have the chance to see some good, quality football. It might not be big enough to hold the overflowing crowd, though.

:)

McNeese State (FCS - Southland Conference) is currently 9-0 and has already beaten USD (31-7) and SUU (41-20). This will be a tough road game for Coach Lennon and the boys...

31 UND

28 McNeese State

???

So far we have...

@ McNeese State

@ UC-Davis

@ Idaho State

vs SUU

vs USD

vs SCSU

...am I missing any?

I can't wait to see the other six games...GO SIOUX!

Not sure if it's set in stone, but Idaho State's coach mentioned on the radio show tonight that North Dakota will play in Pocatello next year... Regardless, it's great to see more FCS teams in the west!

TheBengalDen.com (2008 Schedule Thread)

Idaho State appears to be quite similar to UND. An enrollment of 12,676. A domed football stadium that seats 12,000. Pocatello has a population of 51,466.

FWIW, Idaho State went 3-8 this year (2-6 in the Big Sky).

So far we have...

@ McNeese State

@ UC-Davis

@ Idaho State

vs SUU

vs USD

vs SCSU

Are we sure that USD is coming to Grand Forks next year? I don't see why the NCC rotation must continue in this series. 2008 is a new division and a new conference. Won't the conference decide where this game is played? And if so, with USD probably going to SUU and Cal Poly, I could see the conference having the UND-USD (conference) game in Vermillion to even things out and ensure that both UND and USD get one league home game.

Are we sure that USD is coming to Grand Forks next year? I don't see why the NCC rotation must continue in this series. 2008 is a new division and a new conference. Won't the conference decide where this game is played? And if so, with USD probably going to SUU and Cal Poly, I could see the conference having the UND-USD (conference) game in Vermillion to even things out and ensure that both UND and USD get one league home game.

No...I am not sure. UND could easily make a return trip to Vermillion next year. If UND does go back to the DANGER DOME...it certainly would make one coyote fan happy.

A post on AGS indicates that UND will be playing at Southeastern Louisiana University in 2008.

They went 3-8 this year (2-5 in the Southland Conference), but they played within a touchdown of Tulane on the road.

It appears they disbanded football after the 1985 season and revived it in 2003.

They play in an outdoor stadium that seats 7,400. The enrollment is approximately 17,000. The school is located in Hammond, LA, population of 17,639.