SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

Would we have gotten the game with Davis though? And who knows whether or not Cal Poly would have even had discussions with UND had we not joined the GWFC. Had we not joined the conference it is not a given that we could have scheduled both of the Cali schools anyways, perhaps neither for that matter. One is better than none. Apparently, joining the league this year at the least prompted the GWFC to force each Cali school to play one of the Dakota schools. Without that mandate, the Cali schools could have just as easily scheduled a lesser GNAC school for their "non-counter" game.

The "good" of joining the League this year is that our student-athletes can receive weekly and yearly conference honors, and we can compete for the conference title, apparently by virtue of some formula that will substitute a team with a comparable GPI on the UxD's schedule for the GWFC teams we don't play.

Fair points, but IMO, if all else were equal, I'd trade the road game with UC-Davis for a home game with USD and a road game with Cal Poly. As for whether Poly would have agreed to play us under the scenario of not joining the Great West until 2009, I can't say. It does seem a bit ironic if they agreed to schedule us because of our immediate admission into the Great West, only to have the commissioner void it. It smacks of "I know better than you what's good for you."

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the "play USD twice" idea is still being floated around? It's sounding better now that we pretty much know we have to travel there anyway, and we only have 10 games. It's not as though we haven't played teams twice in a season before (including playoffs).

I would not be against it. Could help build the rivalry up a bit too. South Dakota twice in the same year is way more appealing than Winona St. twice was.

Sioux fans didn't have a problem with who was on NDSU's schedule that year. Sioux fans had a problem with Bison fans trying to portray the teams on their schedule as all being world beaters. NDSU people have a habit of making everyone they play a lot better than they really are. UND could possibly end up with a couple of weaker teams but I don't beleive we will try to sell a Montana Tech or Valpo as the the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think anybody ever called Montana Tech a world beater. Valpo was a great piece of marketing by NDSU, UND would be foolish to not schedule a Valpo and hype the heck out of the game.

Valpo was a great piece of marketing by NDSU, UND would be foolish to not schedule a Valpo and hype the heck out of the game.
While I agree that a Valpo or Drake game looks better on paper, I don't think Sioux fans are so gullible to fall so much for pseudo-DI hype to inflate our egos. Few Sioux fans would be excited about Valpo, nor would NDSU fans anymore. On paper it might look better, but not on the field.

This is what the Minot Daily columnist had to say about the NDSU-Valpo hype:

This is a Division I column written on a Division I laptop while drinking Division I soda in a Division I press box while using Division I press notes and listening to a Division I crowd scream Division I cheers.

The only thing missing here Saturday was a Division I opponent for North Dakota State University. ...

By halftime, NDSU had a 38-0 lead and the Fargodome had the electricity of a 10-watt light bulb.

Bison fans will almost certainly see a similar slaughtering when NDSU plays at home again on Sept. 11 against Montana Tech. Yes, that Montana Tech. Of NAIA fame.

Therein lies the problem for the NDSU athletic and marketing departments. They polished a turd on Saturday, convincing 19,000 people to watch the Bison beat the pigskin out of an overmatched opponent. (Memo to Minot State University Athletic Director Rick Hedberg: attach the words "Division I" to the MSU football program. You won't be able to find an empty seat at Herb Parker Stadium.

While I agree that a Valpo or Drake game looks better on paper, I don't think Sioux fans are so gullible to fall so much for pseudo-DI hype to inflate our egos. Few Sioux fans would be excited about Valpo, nor would NDSU fans anymore. On paper it might look better, but not on the field.

This is what the Minot Daily columnist had to say about the NDSU-Valpo hype:

Nice article Star, who wrote it and where did he go to college? I'll be the first to admit the Valpo and Montana Tech games weren't great, but don't try to pass this garbage from the Minot paper off as an unbiased article.

Nice article Star, who wrote it and where did he go to college? I'll be the first to admit the Valpo game and Montana Tech games weren't great, but don't try to pass this garbage from the Minot paper off as an unbiased article.

That's right - another unbias und reporter. It was billed as the first DI fb in ND - thats all. Everyone knew NDSU would beat Valpo. The jealousy in the und community is actually funny. 19,000 fans (a full house) and he writes a negative story? NDSU is playing to full houses at the FargoDome and you can hardly get 5000 to a playoff game. I'll take our marketing anytime (so would und).

That's right - another unbias und reporter. It was billed as the first DI fb in ND - thats all. Everyone knew NDSU would beat Valpo. The jealousy in the und community is actually funny. 19,000 fans (a full house) and he writes a negative story? NDSU is playing to full houses at the FargoDome and you can hardly get 5000 to a playoff game. I'll take our marketing anytime (so would und).

That's because football home playoff games were old-hat for UND fans. The luster and novelty of playing WSU in the first round or two every year got old.

For ndsu D2 home playoff games in the fargodome, I'm sure it was about........

Gee this is stupid, just go away. :whistling:

That's because football home playoff games were old-hat for UND fans. The luster and novelty of playing WSU in the first round or two every year got old.

For ndsu D2 home playoff games in the fargodome, I'm sure it was about........

Gee this is stupid, just go away. :whistling:

Hey butts in the seats are what it is all about. That's a fact jack!

You bison fans shouldn't be pointing fingers about attendance for playoff games. Since you haven't hosted a playoff game for 20 years I would hope if you ever host one again you would have some butts in the seats. That's a fact jack.

There'll be more than 5000! Anytime you can make fun of a full house (19,000) for a fb game then be prepared to have it come right back at you. Some of you love to start it but can't take it once it gets going. We'll see how many DI home games you have this year. If you sell them out I sure won't be cracking any jokes about it, I'll be the first to congratulate you. :whistling:

There'll be more than 5000! Anytime you can make fun of a full house (19,000) for a fb game then be prepared to have it come right back at you. Some of you love to start it but can't take it once it gets going. We'll see how many DI home games you have this year. If you sell them out I sure won't be cracking any jokes about it, I'll be the first to congratulate you. :whistling:

I hope it's a better caliber than Winona State, who we've beat a collective 222-39(49-2, 42-0, 51-6, 44-2, 36-29) over the past 5 meetings. That's an average of 44-8. Wait until you start beating the same team at that level during the regular season and the playoffs. The attendance will drop. The interest just isn't there.

Winona State vs. UND is comparable to NDSU vs. Valpo.

Home:

Western Washington

Wisconsin La Crosse - D3 (Good Program)

Southern Utah

Texas AM Kingsville

St Cloud

Away:

Idaho State

Southern Illinois

SE Lousiana State

South Dakota

Cal Davis

Open dates Oct 4th and 11th

Rumor has it......

Should be released soon not sure of dates, be nice to get that 11th game, but I know they do not want to play anymore D2 or lower.... Great job for the 1st year schedule if this is correct... without any AD or Adminstration help or connections....

There'll be more than 5000! Anytime you can make fun of a full house (19,000) for a fb game then be prepared to have it come right back at you. Some of you love to start it but can't take it once it gets going. We'll see how many DI home games you have this year. If you sell them out I sure won't be cracking any jokes about it, I'll be the first to congratulate you. :D

FYI, I do believe that the last two Bison playoff games had around 5,000 to 6,000 fans according to a previous thread. It appears that both programs and fans are ready for new competition. If NDSU makes the playoffs, I am sure that they will have a full house. When UND makes playoffs , I am sure that they will have a full house. So, I am not sure what point you are trying to make by bringing up old information about playoff games.. in the case of UND.. I believe it was the third time in two years that the teams had played and none of them close (49-2, 42-0, 44-2). I believe that it was the primary reason for lagging attendance. - Have a good day.

Home:

Western Washington

Southern Utah

Texas AM Kingsville

St Cloud

Away:

Idaho State

Southern Illinois

SE Lousiana State

South Dakota

Cal Davis

Rumor has it......

Should be released soon not sure of dates, be nice to get that 11th game, but I know they do not want to play anymore D2 or lower.... Great job for the 1st year schedule if this is correct... without any AD or Adminstration help or connections....

Thanks for the scoop. The new one that hadn't yet made the schedule wiki is vs. UW-La Crosse (one that I believe no one was keeping an eye out for).

Nice to see the 5-5 split so far, and home breaking down DIII (1), DII (3), FCS (1). As has been pointed out in this thread, this is probably the toughest year to get anyone to come to G.F.

Home:

Western Washington

Southern Utah

Texas AM Kingsville

St Cloud

Away:

Idaho State

Southern Illinois

SE Lousiana State

South Dakota

Cal Davis

Rumor has it......

Thanks for the information, plan on supporting the program by getting season tickets this year. I know that the first year is a little rough and I understand why the conference cancelled the Poly and forced our return to Vermillion this year. Yote53 and gang you had better be rolling out the red carpet.

Western Washington

Southern Utah

Texas AM Kingsville

St Cloud

Walrus, it seem like you are a bit of a insider. Any tips on the season ticket process? Plus, do know if they are looking at setting up Hockey, Football Hockey weekends with some non conference foes like Maine, NH or other hockey FCS, or FBS programs?

Walrus, it seem like you are a bit of a insider. Any tips on the season ticket process? Plus, do know if they are looking at setting up Hockey, Football Hockey weekends with some non conference foes like Maine, NH or other hockey FCS, or FBS programs?

I would look for a Maine trip in the next year or two Hockey - Football - Hockey....Charter packages and the works.

Also for 08....I think we are still trying to get Cal Poly....

Cal Poly was fortunate enough to get a game with the University of Wisconsin and are re-working their schedule as we speak.......I think we have a contract with them, so who knows what will happen....?

Look for a Future Home Potato Bowl Game (09?) with Idaho State a natural tie in like the old days....

Home:

Western Washington

Southern Utah

Texas AM Kingsville

St Cloud

Away:

Idaho State

Southern Illinois

SE Lousiana State

South Dakota

Cal Davis

Rumor has it......

LaCrosse beat SDSU in Brookings a couple of years ago. link

Home:

Western Washington

Southern Utah

Texas AM Kingsville

St Cloud

Away:

Idaho State

Southern Illinois

SE Lousiana State

South Dakota

Cal Davis

Rumor has it......

Looks like a good first schedule. Next year it will be a lot easier when UND counts as a FCS game.

Just a heads up, UC Davis fans hate to be called Cal Davis.

2008 UW-L Football Schedule (as of Feb. 1)

Date Opponent Location Time

Sept. 6 Hardin-Simmons University (Tex.) Winona, Minn. 7 p.m.

Sept. 20 at Azusa Pacific University (Calif.) Azusa, Calif. 6 p.m. (PT)

Oct. 4 at UW-Whitewater* Whitewater, Wis. TBA

Oct. 11 UW-Eau Claire* Winona, Minn. 7 p.m.

Oct. 18 UW-Platteville* Winona, Minn. 1 p.m.

Oct. 25 at UW-Oshkosh* Oshkosh, Wis. TBA

Nov. 1 at UW-Stout* Menomonie, Wis. TBA

Nov. 8 UW-River Falls* Winona, Minn. 1 p.m.

Nov. 15 at UW-Stevens Point* Stevens Point, Wis. TBA

***As of Feb 1****

I hope it's a better caliber than Winona State, who we've beat a collective 222-39(49-2, 42-0, 51-6, 44-2, 36-29) over the past 5 meetings. That's an average of 44-8. Wait until you start beating the same team at that level during the regular season and the playoffs. The attendance will drop. The interest just isn't there.

Except the Warriors were considered a playoff caliber team by the folks in D-2.

I would have hoped the hockey connections would have pulled through when they were needed this year.

2008 UW-L Football Schedule (as of Feb. 1)

Date Opponent Location Time

Sept. 6 Hardin-Simmons University (Tex.) Winona, Minn. 7 p.m.

Sept. 20 at Azusa Pacific University (Calif.) Azusa, Calif. 6 p.m. (PT)

Oct. 4 at UW-Whitewater* Whitewater, Wis. TBA

Oct. 11 UW-Eau Claire* Winona, Minn. 7 p.m.

Oct. 18 UW-Platteville* Winona, Minn. 1 p.m.

Oct. 25 at UW-Oshkosh* Oshkosh, Wis. TBA

Nov. 1 at UW-Stout* Menomonie, Wis. TBA

Nov. 8 UW-River Falls* Winona, Minn. 1 p.m.

Nov. 15 at UW-Stevens Point* Stevens Point, Wis. TBA

***As of Feb 1****

That actually fits with Walrus' info that we have Oct. 4 and Oct. 11 free, and the dates we know for all UND's other games. It seems both UND and UW-Lax were free on Sept. 13.

Just trying to piece some dates together here, for the ones we haven't figured out yet.

We know the dates for the games in the wiki.

Per the Walrus, we have consecutive open dates on Oct. 4 and 11.

UW La Crosse's only open date that matches up with us is Sept. 13.

Slulionsfan says our game with SLU is Sept. 27th.

St. Cloud has games scheduled on Oct 4th and 11th, and Sept 13. NSIC teams seem to playing non-conference games in week one or two, so Sept. 6th appears a likely date.

Exluding the two October open dates, the only other time the UND-USD game could occur is Nov. 22, which would keep it the last game of the year like it has been for the last several years, which I hope they do.

So the dates should work out like this:

Aug. 28 Texas A&M-Kingsville

Sept. 6 St. Cloud St.

Sept. 13 UW-La Crosse

Sept. 18 @ Idaho St.

Sept. 27 @ Southeastern Louisiana

Oct. 4 OPEN

Oct. 11 OPEN

Oct. 18 Western Washington

Oct. 25 @ UC Davis

Nov. 1 @ Southern Illinois

Nov. 8 Southern Utah

Nov. 15 OPEN

Nov. 22 @ South Dakota

I'd really like to see that Oct. 4 date filled with a home game. A month in the middle of the season is too long for me to go without having a game to go to in GF :D .

FYI: Cal Poly has open dates on Oct. 4 and 11 :D . USD will likely take one of those dates.

Just trying to piece some dates together here, for the ones we haven't figured out yet.

We know the dates for the games in the wiki.

Per the Walrus, we have consecutive open dates on Oct. 4 and 11.

UW La Crosse's only open date that matches up with us is Sept. 13.

Slulionsfan says our game with SLU is Sept. 27th.

St. Cloud has games scheduled on Oct 4th and 11th, and Sept 13. NSIC teams seem to playing non-conference games in week one or two, so Sept. 6th appears a likely date.

Exluding the two October open dates, the only other time the UND-USD game could occur is Nov. 22, which would keep it the last game of the year like it has been for the last several years, which I hope they do.

So the dates should work out like this:

Aug. 28 Texas A&M-Kingsville

Sept. 6 St. Cloud St.

Sept. 13 UW-La Crosse

Sept. 18 @ Idaho St.

Sept. 27 @ Southeastern Louisiana

Oct. 4 OPEN

Oct. 11 OPEN

Oct. 18 Western Washington

Oct. 25 @ UC Davis

Nov. 1 @ Southern Illinois

Nov. 8 Southern Utah

Nov. 15 OPEN

Nov. 22 @ South Dakota

I'd really like to see that Oct. 4 date filled with a home game. A month in the middle of the season is too long for me to go without having a game to go to in GF :D .

And you didn't want to apply for the AD job.......?