SiouxSports.com Forum

Guns on Campus

GeauxSioux

I do not believe that guns should be banned from the campus apartments. I do, however, think that they should not be allowed in the dorms. I'm sorry if this goes against what everyone believes about the second amendment, but it's not that big a deal. All these arguments about how if every student had a gun there would be no crime don't make sense to me--as was said earlier, it just makes it easier for someone to get access to a gun if they want one.

I understand that most gun owners are responsible. I grew up around and using guns for target shooting. This isn't an attack on people who own guns, it's just a safety issue in the eyes of the school, and one I happen to agree with, but only for dorms (should guns be restricted).

Ideally, before they jump on this as hard as they can, they could start a gun registration at UND, which would require you to have proper safety equipment (locked cabinet and/or trigger lock) and see how many responsible gun owners complied.

This is not a solution to an on-campus shooting. The only solution to something such as that is increased awareness and education of what guns are for.

I already addressed the guns in dorms vs. apartments.

Why apartments but not dorms? If I am living in a dorm and get attacked, I want to be able to defend myself. Why should I be unfairly handicapped in defending myself? I have just as much right as the next guy to defend myself, whether I live in a dorm or an apartment.

I am not saying there would be no crime if everyone had guns. I am saying I have the right to carry and use a gun. And I have pointed out that if they are going to commit a crime, not being able to have a gun on campus (or just in dorms) is not going to affect them. Gun owners should not have to register guns. That would allow the government to track another aspect of our lives. We are more and more turning into a big brother society. That is very bad. Your last point (bold) is right on the money.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying there would be no crime if everyone had guns. I am saying I have the right to carry and use a gun. And I have pointed out that if they are going to commit a crime, not be able to have a gun on campus (or just in dorms) is not going to affect them. Gun owners should not have to register guns. That would allow the government to track another aspect of our lives. We are more and more turning into a big brother society. That is very bad. Your last point (bold) is right on the money.

actually if you have a conceal weapon no one is probably going to know if you have one or not. You could keep it in your car if you have concealed permit to carry. I remember when Minnesota was having the debate wether they should allow people the right to have more concealed carry permits. People were saying oh my god crime is going to go through the roof: WRONG again, crime actually went down. imagine that.

Just to add another reason for killing those animals. Over population.

You are either going to kill a deer with a gun, or with your car. I'd rather have my family and friends out there thinning out the herd, before I have to pay ANOTHER deductible on my car insurance. :lol:

Why apartments but not dorms? If I am living in a dorm and get attacked, I want to be able to defend myself. Why should I be unfairly handicapped in defending myself? I have just as much right as the next guy to defend myself, whether I live in a dorm or an apartment.

Apartments, IMHO, are more secure than dorm rooms. I may be wrong.

So a few people go out and murder defenseless animals a few Saturdays each fall, ........

So slaughtering cattle with a cartridge stun gun isn't considered 'murder' of defenseless animals? Electrical stunning of hogs and 'bleeding' them while they're still alive isn't 'murder' of defenseless animalls? Chicken slaughter is even more gross but they're not hunted so it must be ok?!?

If you're against hunting because you think of it as murder of defenseless animals and you eat meat from 'domestic' animals, you eat eggs mass produced by chickens, you drink milk from cows whose only purpose for life is to produce abnormal quantities of milk and you wear leather, cotton or wool, you're a hypocrite. But that's just my humble opinion...........

So slaughtering cattle with a cartridge stun gun isn't considered 'murder' of defenseless animals? Electrical stunning of hogs and 'bleeding' them while they're still alive isn't 'murder' of defenseless animalls? Chicken slaughter is even more gross but they're not hunted so it must be ok?!?

If you're against hunting because you think of it as murder of defenseless animals and you eat meat from 'domestic' animals, you eat eggs mass produced by chickens, you drink milk from cows whose only purpose for life is to produce abnormal quantities of milk and you wear leather, cotton or wool, you're a hypocrite. But that's just my humble opinion...........

Cotton?

Just to add another reason for killing those amimals. Over population.

You are either going to kill a deer with a gun, or with your car. I'd rather have my family and friends out there thinning out the herd, before I have to pay ANOTHER deductible on my car insurance. ???

I'd rather re-introduce wolves and cougars into areas where deer roam, especially in more populated areas like the 'burbs where deer are pests. If anything the evening news would be more entertaining ... ???:lol:

Why is there suddenly a mountain lion season in ND?

Because there are mountain lions.

Why are there mountain lions?

Because there is food.

What food?

Rats with hooves.

I like ScottM's notion: I'm pro-mountain lion/cougar/puma/American jaguar. :lol:

Why is there suddenly a mountain lion season in ND?

Because there are mountain lions.

Why are there mountain lions?

Because there is food.

What food?

Rats with hooves.

I like ScottM's notion: I'm pro-mountain lion/cougar/puma/American jaguar. :lol:

And it all comes back to the jaguar ???

On the contrary, I find it very easy to eat meat without personally killing animals myself. Now, if it were not possible to get meat at a store or restaurant... if my only source of meat was to go out and kill the animal myself there would be a valid reason to hunt. But in reality that's not how it is, and therefore I see no good reason why people think they need to hunt.

So, you admit that you 'murder' in your heart. How Jimmy Carter of you!! :lol:

Thanks to sprig for the following,

creatures.jpg

Why does DaveK feel a need to take issue and have a subsequent argument with anyone who opposes him? It seems like he has an inferiority complex or something...

He lives in his own little warped world. Hmm, reminds me of a song, 'Allllll by myself...'

As I told him in another thread

You should really try getting out of that tunnel. There's a whole new world out here and it ain't 'The World According to DaveK'.