SiouxSports.com Forum

Guns on Campus

GeauxSioux

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! It would still be dumb and unconstitutional! VT had a gun ban and look what happened. It sure didn't save lives there. I would rather have 13,000 guns on campus. Just about everyone on campus is a law abiding citizen. It is not like as soon as a person gets their hands on a gun, they go out and shoot someone. And that way, as soon as the killer shoots one person, someone will shoot him and there will not be nearly as many innocent deaths. There was a guy lose out by Drake that was wanted for murder, among other things, recently. That is not to far from where I live and we had the gun out and ready to go. Had that guy tried to do anything on our property, he would have been shot. I shudder to think what would have happened had that guy broke in our house and we did not have a gun.

Did it ever dawn on you to call the police and have them come out to your place?

Listen, I am not saying you don't have the right to defend your family. I am not saying you can't have guns at your house. All I am saying is they do not belong on a college campus. The University of North Dakota is not Dodge City, KS. Kupchella is not Wyatt Earp.

Did it ever dawn on you to call the police and have them come out to your place?

Listen, I am not saying you don't have the right to defend your family. I am not saying you can't have guns at your house. All I am saying is they do not belong on a college campus. The University of North Dakota is not Dodge City, KS. Kupchella is not Wyatt Earp.

Well, considering we live a little ways out in the country, it would likely take them a little while to get there. And I am sure we would call them, should we have trouble. But they may not arrive in time.

For many students, the campus is their home. And if guns are alright sometimes, who decides when and where they are not? It is a slippery slop we do not and should not need to go down.

First off, it isn't a tool. It's a weapon used to maim and kill. But that's beside the point...

I have to say I'm shocked to learn that something I've never used once in my entire life, and never will for as long as I live, is used "in most North Dakotans' lives every day"?

Don't you think that's just a bit of an exaggeration?

:glare::D:)

You mean you don't use a gun to turn off the lights and open cans of beer like this guy?

homermi0.jpg

First off, it isn't a tool. It's a weapon used to maim and kill. But that's beside the point...

I have to say I'm shocked to learn that something I've never used once in my entire life, and never will for as long as I live, is used "in most North Dakotans' lives every day"?

Don't you think that's just a bit of an exaggeration?

:glare::D:)

No, I don't feel it's any bit of an exaggeration. I feel it is exactly as I said it is. And, the majority of North Dakotan's hunt, therefore, the statement "most" would apply. Also, if you knew anything about hunting, and a hunter's lifestyle, rather than trying to claim that all guns and hunters are the devil in disguise, you would know that some form of hunting can be done all year round. And if we're not hunting, most of us are practicing. We practice so that we don't end up "maiming" animals and they just die and not get used. The gun is a tool just as a hockey stick is a tool. It's very specialized, and used by a trained person in their craft. I'm not saying you have to agree with guns, i'm just saying that you have to realize that they are a reality. And you might have to come out from under the wool, they do exist, and will always exist.

If a person chooses to not own a firearm, that's fine with me. What I take exception to is all the soapboxer's (like davek), preaching the evils of firearms. Especially when he admits to never owning, operating, or otherwise wanting to have anything to do with a firearm. I respect the fact that some people don't like them and will never own them, please do the same for those of us who do, and choose to use them in a responsible manner. I love and support my Second Amendment rights. (Just to clarify something, I think people should be able to have their guns in their homes, ie. married student housing, ect. However, I'm not so sure about the residence halls and around campus on a daily basis.)

When did our society turn into a "kill or be killed" mentality? It is almost like we have regressed back to the 1800's and the Oregon Trail is no longer a video game, it is reality.

I will ask again...Is the "right to bear arms" worth risking someones life? Your family? your friends? Is it worth it?

No, I don't feel it's any bit of an exaggeration. I feel it is exactly as I said it is. And, the majority of North Dakotan's hunt, therefore, the statement "most" would apply. Also, if you knew anything about hunting, and a hunter's lifestyle, rather than trying to claim that all guns and hunters are the devil in disguise, you would know that some form of hunting can be done all year round. And if we're not hunting, most of us are practicing. We practice so that we don't end up "maiming" animals and they just die and not get used. The gun is a tool just as a hockey stick is a tool. It's very specialized, and used by a trained person in their craft. I'm not saying you have to agree with guns, i'm just saying that you have to realize that they are a reality. And you might have to come out from under the wool, they do exist, and will always exist.

Your arguments are horrible. You just compared a hockey stick to a gun. Nice work. You convinced me.

What comparison is coming next? A tootsie pop is the same thing as a hand grenade.

Your arguments are horrible. You just compared a hockey stick to a gun. Nice work. You convinced me.

What comparison is coming next? A tootsie pop is the same thing as a hand grenade.

Right. Because I said that a hockey stick IS a gun? Why don't you read it a little better. I said both are tools used in their trade. Why don't you go up a few posts and read triouxpers post. He summed it up beautifully. But for now, quit typing because the tree that you're hugging is getting cold because you have to take you arms off of it to type.

When did our society turn into a "kill or be killed" mentality? It is almost like we have regressed back to the 1800's and the Oregon Trail is no longer a video game, it is reality.

I will ask again...Is the "right to bear arms" worth risking someones life? Your family? your friends? Is it worth it?

Look, nobody is asking you to pack. If you feel that the government and local law enforcement do an outstanding job protecting you, your family and property, and you are never going to enjoy hunting or other shooting sports, that's great. But, don't preach to everyone about something that you really know nothing about.

Look, nobody is asking you to pack. If you feel that the government and local law enforcement do an outstanding job protecting you, your family and property, and you are never going to enjoy hunting or other shooting sports, that's great. But, don't preach to everyone about something that you really know nothing about.

Triouxper, I'm done talking on this thread. You're saying everything i'm thinking. Thanks, at least one level headed guy. And yes, I like my XD-40 Subcompact to be with me wherever I go. Goodbye Thread.

Triouxper, I'm done talking on this thread. You're saying everything i'm thinking. Thanks, at least one level headed guy. And yes, I like my XD-40 Subcompact to be with me wherever I go. Goodbye Thread.

That's awesome bro. I've looked at those, but not in the subcompact, that's a hell of a gun you have there. Maybe someday I'll have one similar.

When did our society turn into a "kill or be killed" mentality?

How in the world did you get that out of the column? The author (a liberal) believes that people should have the right to defend themselves when the police and the courts are incapable of doing it.

That's awesome bro. I've looked at those, but not in the subcompact, that's a hell of a gun you have there. Maybe someday I'll have one similar.

It is an awesome gun. I had the XD-40 4 inch, but traded it in for my Remington 700. Still a little sad over that one. One day I'll have it again.

Right. Because I said that a hockey stick IS a gun? Why don't you read it a little better. I said both are tools used in their trade. Why don't you go up a few posts and read triouxpers post. He summed it up beautifully. But for now, quit typing because the tree that you're hugging is getting cold because you have to take you arms off of it to type.

"The gun is a tool just as a hockey stick is a tool. It's very specialized, and used by a trained person in their craft."

If that isn't a comparison than I have no idea what is.

The tree that I am hugging? I have to take my arms off of it to type? You are hilarious.

BTW, You are quick to respond today. I didn't know they had internet access at The Bun.

For the record, I am a republican. I have been hunting before. If someone chooses to have a gun in their home then I have no problem with that. All I am saying is, I do not believe they should have a place on a University campus.

"The gun is a tool just as a hockey stick is a tool. It's very specialized, and used by a trained person in their craft."

The tree that I am hugging? I have to take my arms off of it to type? You are hilarious.

BTW, You are quick to respond today. I didn't know they had internet access at The Bun.

For the record, I am a republican. I have been hunting before. If someone chooses to have a gun in their home then I have no problem with that. All I am saying is, I do not believe they should have a place on a University campus.

I said that I was done with this post. But here's the end. I have never been to The Bun, so I wouldn't know. Maybe you can tell me next time you're there. The thing is, my university apartment is my home. Just as your house or apartment is your home. I should be free to do as I wish in my home within the confines of the law. Why should I not be able to do something that every other american in the U.S. can, something granted us by the US Constitution. So important that it's the 2nd amendment. Number 2. Why can't I do that, just because of where I live. There's no reason that I should not be able to have a firearm in my house when anyone else can, and that there is no law against it. Like I said, do you want to take your car down to the PD everynight when you're done using it? Think about it. I'm done.

How in the world did you get that out of the column? The author (a liberal) believes that people should have the right to defend themselves when the police and the courts are incapable of doing it.

When I got done reading this, it seemed to me the author was saying the police force is totally incapable of protecting the people in it's jurisdiction. To combat that "fact" you must arm yourself and be ready to shoot someone if they start to pose a threat. I don't think our law enforcement system is that broken that everyone should go out to wal-mart and purchase their own hand gun.

Is this an article by someone employed by the Sentinel or is this a letter to the editor?

I have already pointed out that the campus IS home for many students. A gun is a tool. If we ban guns, should ban nail-guns? Sledge hammers? After all, someone could get killed using those tools. We are forgetting that knives were also included in this thing. What if someone who likes to cook has a whole bunch of monster knives? Are they allowed? I have seen kitchen knives that would do more damage then hunting knives. A gun is a tool just like a knife, hammer, and hockey stick, among other things.

I said that I was done with this post. But here's the end. I have never been to The Bun, so I wouldn't know. Maybe you can tell me next time you're there. The thing is, my university apartment is my home. Just as your house or apartment is your home. I should be free to do as I wish in my home within the confines of the law. Why should I not be able to do something that every other american in the U.S. can, something granted us by the US Constitution. So important that it's the 2nd amendment. Number 2. Why can't I do that, just because of where I live. There's no reason that I should not be able to have a firearm in my house when anyone else can, and that there is no law against it. Like I said, do you want to take your car down to the PD everynight when you're done using it? Think about it. I'm done.

Are you really done this time?

Now you are comparing a car to a gun. This gets better and better with every post.

Correct me if I am wrong but living in student housing is a choice made by you. If you do not like the rules of that establishment, then find another place to live. That simple.

The sad reality is that law enforcement can only respond to an act that has already been committed. Rarely are they around to foil a crime. Some people feel that they are safer if they have a weapon to at least give themself a fighting chance, instead of just becoming another defenseless victim. I would rather be injured (or worse) by protecting myself then be in the "defenseless victim" category. However, I feel there are places that may not always be appropriate or necessary to have some type of weapon (to use in a responsible manner.)

All the while we are going at it over guns and knives on the campus of UND, we are forgetting what they are really needed for. Gun are essential if the government ever needs to be brought down. If citizens are no longer able to use guns, then they are at the mercy of their government. That is exactly what the Founding Fathers did not want to happen; a tyrant of a government that the people had no defense against it.

The sad reality is that law enforcement can only respond to an act that has already been committed. Rarely are they around to foil a crime. Some people feel that they are safer if they have a weapon to at least give themself a fighting chance, instead of just becoming another defenseless victim. I would rather be injured (or worse) by protecting myself then be in the "defenseless victim" category. However, I feel there are places that may not always be appropriate or necessary to have some type of weapon (to use in a responsible manner.)

Thank you! Common ground.

Are you really done this time?

Now you are comparing a car to a gun. This gets better and better with every post.

Correct me if I am wrong but living in student housing is a choice made by you. If you do not like the rules of that establishment, then find another place to live. That simple.

No, student housing is no longer a choice at Minot State; you must live on campus unless you are living in the Minot area with family. (I forget if this was proposed or is already enacted) What if UND also does the same thing???

No, student housing is no longer a choice at Minot State; you must live on campus unless you are living in the Minot area with family. (I forget if this was proposed or is already enacted) What if UND also does the same thing???

Yeah, and what if our enrollment drops to 3,000 and we start to call ourselves the Beavers?

The conversation is about UND, where you can live off campus.