SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/gophers

jk

Might as well get this one started, even though it's a bit away.  When the Sioux take the ice against the Gophers on February 8, it will have been something like 104 days since their last home win against Wisconsin in late October.  It's time to put a stop to that.

I think the Sioux can do well against MN.  Even though MN controlled play for a lot of the time in Mariucci, there are a few reasons to like UND's chances.  First, a lot of the edge in play occurred on the PP, where MN is excellent.  Second, the big rink suits MN's game, especially on the PP, where they can just play their positions.  It also limits UND's cycling.  Third, the Sioux are going to get a home ice advantage going one of these days - the Gophers could be just what the Sioux need to get going at home.

In the Gophers favor, they will have Dan Welch fully up to speed and may have retired Hauser by then.

I like how the Sioux forwards match up with the Gophers, all the way down to line 4.  The big difference between these teams continues to be puck-handling defensemen.  I was encouraged last weekend to hear several rushes that sounded like:  Sioux D get control of the puck in own zone, quickly ahead to F in neutral zone, quickly ahead to F crossing the blue line.  It was that quick transition game that more than anything has been the hallmark of Sioux hockey under Dean Blais.

I'm looking forward to seeing how those talented Gopher D-men like being cycled down low.  They may do just fine, but perhaps they will feel forechecking pressure they're not used to.

I'm optimistic, but I guess the Gophers are really good this year, so perhaps I should calm down.  It was Michigan Tech, after all.

jk, it was Tech but after what this season has been like I think we deserve feeling confident.  It sounds to me like the Sioux played the way a good team should play against Tech.  We didn't just squeek out wins at Tech.  Sounds to me like we pretty much handled Tech both games, by playing good, sound, aggressive hockey.

The goofers are beatable.  We beat them at home and we could beat them at REA.  And I was going to say what you said.  Sooner or later we will get a home ice advantage.  We'll see when but this recipe could be it.  Coming home and feeling confident after a nice sweep, coupled with a packed arena that will be as loud as it will be at any time this year.

If the team can play hard and keep the fans in the game, we could pull one out.  

What I don't like is our two weeks off.  It is good for our injury situation, but I wonder if you get out of your rhythem sitting around.  But it is the goofers coming to town and home ice is in the balance so the team has NO REASON to come out flat.  They should be well rested, and should get themselves up for the games.

MN probably learned a lesson against Denver.  I would love to see UMD win but maybe a couple easy wins for the goofers could have them feeling too good about themselves coming into GF.  I believe, however, they will remember their narrow escape in Mpls and will come to spoil our party.

I think we might have evened up the disparity in special team play some by now, however, I still give MN the edge in that area.  I agree with you that we probably match up ok 5 on 5 but would not give UND an edge in that catagory whereas I could give MN the edge there.  Our goaltending should be somewhat even.  So hopefully our home ice will give us the advantage.

It will be a long 2 weeks waiting for these games for Sioux fans.

Keys to beating the Gophs:

1.  Stay the #@*! out of the penalty box!

2.  Skate hard, forecheck & shoot the puck when the opportunity arises.

These might sound obvious, but if we give Minnie the powerplay, they are going to score.  Also, if we go into a defensive shell, they are going to pepper our goaltender with shots.

Basically, UND needs to disrupt UM's puck movement with a strong checking game and keep the shots on goal more even than last time they met.  Also, we'll need excellent goaltending if we want to pull out a W or two.

Go Sioux

I agree, Kuhninca.  Let's start putting some shots on net.  I believe we outshot Tech like 40 to something on Fri yet we were widely outshot on Saturday 45 - 32.

I still believe we give up too many shots.   We need to even those out as you say.  

We know we can beat Hauser.  Yeah, Weber is like 6-0, but let's not forget he gave up 3 of 4 shots in the 3rd period at WI and I believe he has been pulled from at least one other game.  Weber is a good goalie, no doubt.  But he should not be feared.  PUT SHOTS ON NET.  LOTS OF 'EM.  

I am lamenting the break more every day.  I am probably wrong.  The team might love it.  But it strikes me that it is hard to keep the mental edge with this much time.  O well, take the good from it.   We'll be more physically rested than any other team going into the last month, for what that is worth.

Super quiet around here.

I don't have anything new, but after seeing Shattuck play and dwelling on next year for a while, I'm tired of that.  I want to think about this year.

I will be making a pilgrimage to the shrine for the Saturday Gopher game, my first trip since the HOF game.  The HOF game was much more about the event than the hockey; the crowd was pretty much shot before the puck dropped, after getting worked into a lather for Ralph and the pre-game festivities.

So I'm hoping everyone will give the Gophers the greeting they expect (and deserve) for this series.

I don't know if my seats will be close enough to matter, but I'm going to try to think of some nice things to say to the Gophers:

Taffe - Jeff, How do you think you're going to like St. Louis?  Oh, that's right, they traded you.

Pohl - Don't worry Johnny, I heard they're starting a new super-slow-mo league for players with your wheels.

Tallackson - Way to go Barry, you stayed eligible for a whole semester.

Welch - Were you the leading scorer in the community college league?

Guentzel - Having dinner with the Guyer's again tonight?

Wendell - Krissy!

P Martin - Look out for the blue line Paul.

DeMarchi - Matt, you're supposed to pass it to the guys on YOUR OWN team.

Weber - You must really suck if you can't beat out Hauser.

Well, in looking back at these, most of them are really dumb.  But I'm open to suggestions.

Couple of years ago I made up a sign to welcome the Gophers to the old Ralph.  It featured the icon for choking--

a guy clutching at his throat with both hands.  I embellished the illustration by adding a maroon and gold

helmet and jersey.  The caption?  What else? "Universal Sign for Choking."  Apropos then, apropos now.

Unfortunately, I gave the sign to a student sitting at ice level and never saw it again.  But, hey, it may be time

to reproduce the slam.

When the Gophers come to town, good sportsmanship goes out the window.  Man, I hate those guys!

The best hockey-playing Wendell is Erik's sister (and US Olympian) Krissy.  I believe she may be the US team's top scorer as a 19 (?)-year old.

In her last year in HS, word was she would have skated on or near the top line of any boy's HS team in MN.

I agree.  Great game for Sandelin and his boys.  I'm looking forward to more of the same tonight and next weekend.

The Sioux need to come out next Friday with all guns blazing.  They can use the HOF game as motivation and start to establish the new REA as a home ice advantage.  As it's looked in the past, the Sioux are more intimidated by the Ralph while their opponents just seem that much more motivated to win.  This must change.

Good luck tonight, Scott!

taz

It looks more and more like UND could be playing the Dirty Badgers as a first round opponent in Madison. If UAA can't beat the dirty Badger tonight they will only be able to get probably 6th place finish at best...

I think the Sioux would welcome the opportunity.

Well the goofs pulled it out tonite at Duluth.  As much as I would have enjoyed a bulldog sweep, I think this is the best thing.  I think it would have been worse for the Sioux had the goofers been more embarrassed in Duluth.  

You're right Taz, if the Sioux will come out aggressive and physical, they will have a chance.

Hauser will play at least one game next weekend, and you never know which Hauser that will be.  Weber is a good goalie but at WI and Duluth he looked very very average.  So the goofs could bring a hot goalie but there is no reason for the boys to be intimidated.

Anyone have an update on the injury situations?

Having watched the gophers play the past few weeks, I think they are in a funk of some sort.  They tend to lack the fire they had the last part of 2001.  With the exception of Leopold, Pohl and Taffe, there is little overall consistency right now.  Weber can be a wall or a sieve, just like Hauser.  I think Hauser is a more likely to completely lose it given his experience.  Shell him often and he's done.  Weber has potential, but he shows inexperience at times.  Turnovers and soft physical play have shown themselves.  DeMarchi is a goon, but can also set up the better players every now and then.  Supposedly, Lucia is going to push them hard this week in practice, which begs the question, what have they been doing since December?

I think the Sioux have started to gel and played better across the board, although there are still a few soft spots and lapses.  I was impressed with their play at Mariucci, as they gutted it out for 60 minutes on that Friday, but seemed to relax too much on Saturday.  Then again, I was proud they took two points from a "superior" Minnesota team.  Hopefully, they continue to work hard and play a offensive-minded physical game this weekend.  Keeping out of the box and keeping the puck out of our zone is key.  

I think we can take at least two points, and possibly more, if we play a full sixty minute game each night, or Minnesota takes us too lightly, again.  ;)

Go4Fan, I agree it will probably be pretty tight hockey like it was in MN.

I also am concerned with how the week off will affect the Sioux.  Will the extra weekend of R&R throw off their rhythm or will it provide them the opportunity to come into the first period of Friday's game with all guns a'blazin?

If Lucia works his players hard during practice this week, will it help instill the aggressive hard working attitude on Friday, or help tire them out?

I don't know the answers to any of these.

I think the Gophers are not as strong on the PP as they once were.  I think the Sioux have improved their special teams play.  Are they even?  I doubt it.  But I am not as scared of the Gopher PP as I was a month ago.

I AM scared of playing 4 on 4 as that was the doom of the Sioux in MN I think.  We stunk bad there.

5 on 5 I believe the Sioux will play well.  It will be close on special teams.  Maybe give the goofs the edge there.

Goaltending?  Maybe a slight edge to the Sioux?  Even I'm not sure there.  

Defense to the gophers.

Home ice to no one.

Close games.  My adrenaline will be tapped by Sunday and tension high in the house.        

;)

Did anyone catch any of the Coach's Show this week?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that everyone would be ready to go this weekend except Fournier.  I assume Palmiscno would go in his place, with Massen and Hale.

The sad part for me personally is that I think I still have yet to see Fournier play.  My recollection is that he was a healthy scratch in the HOF game and the Friday SCSU game, then he was hurt for the first MN series.  So I was really looking forward to seeing him move the puck.

I cannot wait for the weekend to get here.  Is Grand Forks buzzing for the series?

The media's pretty quiet.  Last night was the first time I've heard Pat Sweeney mention the game (interview with Ryan Hale).  WDAZ will be broadcasting the game and there's a promo for it using Dean Martin's "Everybody Loves Somebody

Sometime" as the

soundtrack.  I didn't get to see the whole commerical since I was just coming into the room as it was ending.  

Jeff Panzer has authorized the sale of 1,000 bobble head dolls in his image. These will be sold only at the game.   Proceeds going to the Sioux baseball team.  P.S. The doll looks nothing like Jeffy.

The students ate up all their alotted tickets early, leaving none for the general public.  I think we are due for a-wearing o' the green and a-tossing o' the gopher and the student section should be rockin'.  Standing, and rocking.  There's plenty of action in the Sioux v. Gophers thread on USCHO but it's degenerated into smack talk and some weird Zod (from Superman II) rant.  

I'm psyched for the game.  While I'd rather see the Sioux  leading the league and whipping the Gophers, I'll settle for seeing them  being middle of the pack and spoiling the Gophers' season.

If someone wants to pass along this info to Stan (gopher fan on another board) who's been asking if Fat Albert's is still around:  Fat Albert's subs are made at Slap Shot pizza - F.A. has been closed since the flood but so many people missed those specialized subs that Slap Shot now offers those subs - so if you're craving an "atomic sub" or the like travel on over to 1909 Gateway Drive (just west of the El Roco and/or Hardees).