SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

Maybe the NCAA thought that no school would challenge them in court as sort of a bluff now that UND did, they are trying to settle out of court because they know what they did was IMO stupid and not thoughtout very well. One they came out with the list of schools they thought these schools must comply or else. But when they first starting to allow the schools to come off that list their credibility of being a "bully" to big schools deminished greatly so they picked on the little schools like William and Mary, IUP, and especially UND but when UND said we are taking your butt to court they know they messed up with them. NCAA your nothing when someone stands up to you. So put your tail between your legs and run the other way cause the Sioux are going to kick your a$$!!

I believe the NCAA thought that UND would back down, but when UND took them to court it might have surprised them. However, that being said, I don't there is any settlement but the one that lets UND keep it's name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after reading that PCM do you think that this case is going UND's way or No? I guess I am a little confused by this one.

After reading that I think it is going UND's way. I think there are things the NCAA are doing to incriminate themselves and they know if it were to come out public opinion plus the courts would rule against them. Its obvious the NCAA did this without thinking what happens if someone takes us to court. Well we are finding out with records sealed for secretcy, plus UND is still the Fighting Sioux after how long now since the list came out well over a year. Not going the way the NCAA thought. Take that Myles Brand.

So after reading that PCM do you think that this case is going UND's way or No? I guess I am a little confused by this one.

I'm certainly no attorney, but in my opinion, it bodes well for UND because the State of North Dakota wants the records kept open and the NCAA doesn't. This would seem to indicate that there's something in the records that the NCAA doesn't want the public to know. If the NCAA wishes to keep the information private, it might be more willing to negotiate a settlement favorable to UND.

Also remember that we went into this with some sports law experts saying that UND had no chance against the NCAA in court. Now we have a sports law expert wondering what it is that the NCAA is so eager to hide. How much is it worth to the NCAA to maintain its aura of invincibility?

I'm certainly no attorney, but in my opinion, it bodes well for UND because the State of North Dakota wants the records kept open and the NCAA doesn't. This would seem to indicate that there's something in the records that the NCAA doesn't want the public to know. If the NCAA wishes to keep the information private, it might be more willing to negotiate a settlement favorable to UND.

Also remember that we went into this with some sports law experts saying that UND had no chance against the NCAA in court. Now we have a sports law expert wondering what it is that the NCAA is so eager to hide. How much is it worth to the NCAA to maintain its aura of invincibility?

Thanks PCM and everyone for the answer I was looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure everyone is getting sick of this but I hope this is what is BEST for Us (for all involved) & not a waste of all the time $$$ & effort :crazy:

the NCAA was wrong & should pay the piper :huh: Get their wings cut ;) They are the ones who have been Hostile & Abusive to us, for too long now. :huh:

I suspect the State's lawyers would not have called this meeting unless they thought the Board would be receptive to it. I assume the Board has given the lawyers specific settlement parameters in a previous closed-door session. We'll see I guess...

You know I think we need to cross our fingers and hope so...

I am hoping the Board isn't caving to the p.c. zealots...

You know I think we need to cross our fingers and hope so...

I am hoping the Board isn't caving to the p.c. zealots...

They got one black eye today with the presidential search committee article. They would be yelling for Mick to cut their eyes open (ala Rocky) if they caved now.

Following the session, the Board will convene in a public meeting to act on a recommendation to settle the lawsuit with the NCAA, according to the board's meeting agenda.

At least this will be news available to the rest of us. UNLESS, the Judge or the NC$$ decides the information discussed falls under the 'gag rule'??

Guys, I am rooting for you here and I hope the NCAA takes it right up the exhaust pipe. But I also look for what else may be happening when big news is announced. Its common here that unfavorable news is announced late on a Friday so as to miss the daily newspaper cycle and also get buried on Friday night's TV news (usually a low ratings draw). And it seems like both your football and hockey teams are away this weekend, so there is no reason for the alums to be visiting campus.

My thought is that if there was bad news, it would be hard to find a better time to bury it.

Jack and Sandy on KFGO have announced no fewer than four times since I started listening at 1:30 that a settlement will be announced tomorrow (possibly) on the UND nickname.

Let's hope it is a "reasonable" settlement that allows UND to continue to use the Sioux name.

Guys, I am rooting for you here and I hope the NCAA takes it right up the exhaust pipe. But I also look for what else may be happening when big news is announced. Its common here that unfavorable news is announced late on a Friday so as to miss the daily newspaper cycle and also get buried on Friday night's TV news (usually a low ratings draw). And it seems like both your football and hockey teams are away this weekend, so there is no reason for the alums to be visiting campus.

My thought is that if there was bad news, it would be hard to find a better time to bury it.

That's true, but it works both ways. IIRC, the NCAA originally announced this policy on a Friday. And I think they announced the initial namesake exemption backpedal on a Friday as well.

If the higher board of ND wants to be welcome in GF again, they know what to do.

If the higher board nerds of nd want to keep there jobs, they know whaat to do.

If the higher board of ND sides with the ncaa, boy i hope they know how to drive and have a fast car cuz about 10000 binge drinking college students who have been drinkin since 8 am friday are comin.

If the higher board of ND wants to be welcome in GF again, they know what to do.

If the higher board nerds of nd want to keep there jobs, they know whaat to do.

If the higher board of ND sides with the ncaa, boy i hope they know how to drive and have a fast car cuz about 10000 binge drinking college students who have been drinkin since 8 am friday are comin.

I nominate that for least intelligent post of the day.