SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

I think the chances of Lennon leaving for Montana State are extremely slim. My reasons why I feel that way:

- It's not that big of a deal to be asked to apply for a job, send in a resume, and then spend 45 minutes doing a phone interview. That's the point we are at right now. With DL's credentials, he's going to a be in the running for any job he applies for. Just because he's been named a finalist for a job he was asked to apply for doesn't mean he's a lock to take the job if offered.

- Everyone knows that Dale's long-term goal is to transform UND into a D-I football program and that he has worked his tail off behind the scenes the last couple of years to help make it happen. It would be very surprising to see him leave when he's just about to get the chance to do what he's been wanting to do.

- I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Dale's oldest son is going to be a senior at GFC this fall and another son is going to be a junior. Obviously, that's a very tough time to be moving a family. Plus, with it being June already, if he did move there are only two months to find a house, get the kids in new schools, etc. before the start of school and fall practice.

- From the sounds of it, MSU's roster is littered with players that wouldn't last one practice playing for DL. With it being this close to the start of the season, there is no time to start cleaning house and recruiting players that can be a fit in Lennon's system. The job would be much more attractive if they were hiring in December.

- I think Dale Lennon is the best man for the job and MSU would be crazy not to offer it to him. But it sounds like Mike Van Diest is the favorite among the majority of the MSU supporters and the MSU administration is probably under tremendous pressure to go with the flow and hire him after all of the problems in the Kramer regime. It's most likely that Dale won't be offered the position anyway.

- With UND now transitioning to D-I and how sound the football program is right now, MSU is a lateral move at best.

All of that said, if Dale does decide to leave UND at this point, it should become apparent that the rumored internal problems in the athletic department are more than just rumors.

Ultimately, I think Dale Lennon's flirtation with this job is a shrewd political move on his part designed to scare the pants off of the administration and most specifically Buning. I imagine there will be several of those football alumni with deep pockets putting a tremendous amount of pressure on Kupchella and Buning this week in regard to retaining Lennon. No doubt there will be a few "you had better straighten this out with him or we withhold $" conversations going on in the next several days.

I would like to think Lennon isn't using the MSU job as political ammo and that he would have dropped out if he wasn't truly interested, but who knows.

The point about Van Diest is spot on. The path of least resistance for Fields would be to name him and move on.

As I've said in previous posts, I think Lennon is the best candidate, but given the situation in Bozeman, Van Diest is probably the right man in the right place at the right time.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More money, more fan support, being the "top sport", instantly being in a FCS autobid conference rather than 5 years until FCS playoff elibility. If Lennon wants to coach a BCS level sometime in the distant future MSU would be a better "springboard" IMHO.

If you feel that way, then certainly you would agree that at the point in which Bohl took the NDSU job in 2003, MSU would have been a better choice for him if it would have been an option?

Which job (MSU or NDSU) would you rather have in 2007?

If you feel that way, then certainly you would agree that at the point in which Bohl took the NDSU job in 2003, MSU would have been a better choice for him if it would have been an option?

Which job (MSU or NDSU) would you rather have in 2007?

In 03 I would take the MSU job, in 07 I would take the job at NDSU

I would like to think Lennon isn't using the MSU job as political ammo and that he would have dropped out if he wasn't truly interested, but who knows.

The point about Van Diest is spot on. The path of least resistance for Fields would be to name him and move on.

As I've said in previous posts, I think Lennon is the best candidate, but given the situation in Bozeman, Van Diest is probably the right man in the right place at the right time.

From what I have heard/read Van Diest will likely be the next coach at either MSU or Montana, with the other one wishing they had him. Sounds likely, then, that MSU would be crazy not to take him now.

And by 2011, I have a sneaking suspicion that UND will be a very good I-AA program. :silly: I would choose the UND "springboard".

I have a sneaking suspicion that UND will not have a very good I-AA program in 2011. Maybe a very good FCS program, but not a I-AA program.

While MSU fans might be clamoring for Van Diest, they aren't the ones making the decisions. Heck, I don't believe that Bohl was even the third choice from Bison fans at the time.

Well he did at least listen to what Sacramento State had to say when they more or less offered him the job in 2002, so it's not unprecedented for Lennon to lend an ear when solicited.

That's my point though- there's a big difference between being asked to apply for a position once in a while and responding to it than there is to sending a resume every time a job you're qualified for comes open. If I knew that Lennon had been actively pursuing several different jobs, I'd be more concerned.

I have a sneaking suspicion that UND will not have a very good I-AA program in 2011. Maybe a very good FCS program, but not a I-AA program.

I'm with this guy (Brian MacPherson of the St. Cloud Times) when it comes to the name change from I-AA:

Well, Ed Meierkort of South Dakota interviewed over the phone for the Montana State job, but so too did Dale Lennon of North Dakota -- and he'll interview on campus this week as one of four finalists for the job.

Lennon faces a similar transition to Division I-AA -- I'm continuing the moratorium on the use of the phrase "championship subdivision" on the grounds that it's stupid -- as Meierkort, and it's tough to blame either one for going after a job at a program that's already established at that level and won't have to go through the growing pains unavoidable in moving from Division II to Division I-AA.

If you're going to change a name that has been in use for a long time, you'd better be prepared for a lot of people to ignore the new name for a long time.

I think the chances of Lennon leaving for Montana State are extremely slim. My reasons why I feel that way:

- It's not that big of a deal to be asked to apply for a job, send in a resume, and then spend 45 minutes doing a phone interview. That's the point we are at right now. With DL's credentials, he's going to a be in the running for any job he applies for. Just because he's been named a finalist for a job he was asked to apply for doesn't mean he's a lock to take the job if offered.

- Everyone knows that Dale's long-term goal is to transform UND into a D-I football program and that he has worked his tail off behind the scenes the last couple of years to help make it happen. It would be very surprising to see him leave when he's just about to get the chance to do what he's been wanting to do.

- I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Dale's oldest son is going to be a senior at GFC this fall and another son is going to be a junior. Obviously, that's a very tough time to be moving a family. Plus, with it being June already, if he did move there are only two months to find a house, get the kids in new schools, etc. before the start of school and fall practice.

- From the sounds of it, MSU's roster is littered with players that wouldn't last one practice playing for DL. With it being this close to the start of the season, there is no time to start cleaning house and recruiting players that can be a fit in Lennon's system. The job would be much more attractive if they were hiring in December.

- I think Dale Lennon is the best man for the job and MSU would be crazy not to offer it to him. But it sounds like Mike Van Diest is the favorite among the majority of the MSU supporters and the MSU administration is probably under tremendous pressure to go with the flow and hire him after all of the problems in the Kramer regime. It's most likely that Dale won't be offered the position anyway.

- With UND now transitioning to D-I and how sound the football program is right now, MSU is a lateral move at best.

All of that said, if Dale does decide to leave UND at this point, it should become apparent that the rumored internal problems in the athletic department are more than just rumors.

Ultimately, I think Dale Lennon's flirtation with this job is a shrewd political move on his part designed to scare the pants off of the administration and most specifically Buning. I imagine there will be several of those football alumni with deep pockets putting a tremendous amount of pressure on Kupchella and Buning this week in regard to retaining Lennon. No doubt there will be a few "you had better straighten this out with him or we withhold $" conversations going on in the next several days.

Lots of good points here, Bob. For several of the reasons you mention, I don't really expect Lennon to take this job if offered. However, unless Buning is either forced out, or else dramatically changes the way he deals with the coaches, I'd expect Lennon to leave for a different job within the next year or two.

With regard to the part of your post I highlighted, I agree 100%. Don't underestimate the political clout of the football alums.

Good point. :silly:

It will take me a while used to the new names for the divisions. I still want to say Moorhead State and they made that change maybe eight years ago? ???

If you're going to change a name that has been in use for a long time, you'd better be prepared for a lot of people to ignore the new name for a long time.

People being anti change for the sake of being anti change is nothing new. Not even something significant.

You'll die out and the younger generation will move on having already accepted the change.

People being anti change for the sake of being anti change is nothing new. Not even something significant.

You'll die out and the younger generation will move on having already accepted the change.

I just didn't think there was a compelling reason to change it. Obviously, in time it will probably catch on, but I still think of MSU-Moorhead as Moorhead State, too.

Lots of good points here, Bob. For several of the reasons you mention, I don't really expect Lennon to take this job if offered. However, unless Buning is either forced out, or else dramatically changes the way he deals with the coaches, I'd expect Lennon to leave for a different job within the next year or two.

With regard to the part of your post I highlighted, I agree 100%. Don't underestimate the political clout of the football alums.

Yep... there is a tremendous amount of football alumni money to be tapped into. That money will be key to increasing the budget and making the transition work and Kupchella and Buning know it. This would not be a good time to alienate many of your biggest potential donors.

Think about this: Would you want to be in Buning's shoes a year from now and have to explain to the new UND president why you're having a hard time raising the D-I money and why everyone is blaming you for one of the most popular coaches in UND history leaving?

Great example using MoorheadState, and I think most of us still refer to MSU-Mankato as Mankato State. Anybody who gets upset at others for continuing to use the old name is at the very least obsessed and borderline psycho in my opinion. It's only a name, lighten up. I don't get upset with those who choose to call it FCS, and those who choose to call it FCS have no right to be mad at me for calling it I-AA. Some people call it Pro Player Stadium, others call it Joe Robbie Stadium. Either term works as good as the other. Lighten up.

I'm sticking with the Orange Bowl, if everyone's cool with that.

I'm with this guy (Brian MacPherson of the St. Cloud Times) when it comes to the name change from I-AA:

Could not agree more. I still call the huge store at West Acres Dayton's and I think it was Marshall Field's for awhile and is now a Macy's? Still Dayton's to me.

I agree. I still refer to Macy's as Daytons and I totally skipped the marshall Fields phase.

Interesting read indeed, but to be taken with a grain of salt. Kent is an NDSU alum and would like nothing better than for UND to lose Lennon. What is bad for Sioux, is somehow good for the Bison.

Utter nonsense.

Kent is one of the least biased writers in the FCS and he lives in Kansas.

Don't even try to go there.

I'm sticking with the Orange Bowl, if everyone's cool with that.

Call me crazy, but I like to call things by their name. I call Pro Player: Pro Player. I call Monster Park: Monster Park. I call Minnesota St.: Minnesota St. I call FCS: FCS. If my name were Bill, I wouldn't want to be refered to as Bob.

BTW, I thought this thread was about Lennon and Montana St., didn't NDSUFREAK start thread in the football section for this name discussion?

Call me crazy, but I like to call things by their name. I call Pro Player: Pro Player. I call Monster Park: Monster Park. I call Minnesota St.: Minnesota St. I call FCS: FCS. If my name were Bill, I wouldn't want to be refered to as Bob.

BTW, I thought this thread was about Lennon and Montana St., didn't NDSUFREAK start thread in the football section for this name discussion?

What if the Ralph changed its name to Gate City Arena or some other name? Would you call it the Ralph or use its proper name? I guess I would call it the Ralph cause thats how I first learned it. You can't expect everyone to call things their correct name if they change it. If some people want to call it AA instead of FCS, then they should. Why some people are obsessed with following what the NCAA deemed acceptable is beyond me.

Interesting read indeed, but to be taken with a grain of salt. Kent is an NDSU alum and would like nothing better than for UND to lose Lennon. What is bad for Sioux, is somehow good for the Bison.

I agree with pretty much everything BisonKent said. Montana St. (despite recent troubles) is probably one of the top 10 or 15 most attractive coaching positions in FCS football. Perhaps UND will be someday too, but not for a minimum of 5 years, and I'm guessing it'll be a bit after that. If he took the job, he'd have a legitimate chance to contend for a Division I National Championship in 2007. The biggest thing that makes coach Lennon a great coach is his decision making ability. As much as I hate to say it, if he were offered the job, the right decision for him would be to take the job.

What if the Ralph changed its name to Gate City Arena or some other name? Would you call it the Ralph or use its proper name? I guess I would call it the Ralph cause thats how I first learned it. You can't expect everyone to call things their correct name if they change it. If some people want to call it AA instead of FCS, then they should. Why some people are obsessed with following what the NCAA deemed acceptable is beyond me.

Good point. However, "The Ralph", is a nickname. Like calling the Montreal Canadiens the "Habs", or the Cleveland Indians the "Tribe". The NCC used to be called the "Big 9". So why do we call it the NCC now? Because that's its name.