SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop getting people on this board's hopes up.

You're just going to piss off a lot of people when the Big Sky refuses to expand east.

The Big Sky has already refused NDSU and SDSU. Do you think that the people on this board don't know that and have enough intelligence to figure out that the Big Sky may or may not expand east, especially with the comments from Fullerton saying that geography played a part in the rejection of the XDSU's? I don't see any emoticons in your post, so I'm assuming that your post was serious.

The past year has been a ethical disaster for the Big Sky:

Montana State - criminal implications, scholarship losses, coaching changes

Northern Arizona - major scholarship losses

Weber State - scholarship losses

Sac State - scholarship losses

Northern Colorado - punter incident, other issues

Idaho State - academic warning

E Washington - basketball program issues

Montana - criminal issues, possible implication on coaches

The only program that may have had a clean year, is, unbelievably, Portland State with its large numbers of JC transfers, and they didn't have an AD for most of the year and had to hire Glanville to keep the football program afloat.

Without question, the Big Sky has lost some its luster. But, when it adds schools in the future, running a clean program, especially in football and basektball, will most assuredly be a major criteria. We know where it can look: East.

Why would UND want to or have any desire to couple it's self with a group that has problems like these schools, I think UND is better than that and there will be alot better options out there than the BIG Trouble Sky.

Why would UND want to or have any desire to couple it's self with a group that has problems like these schools, I think UND is better than that and there will be alot better options out there than the BIG Trouble Sky.
Right now there is really only one other option. With all the issues that the Big Sky is facing, they will be forced to reform their ways, much as the SEC and former SWC schools did. The Sky will have a brighter day.

Stop getting people on this board's hopes up.

You're just going to piss off a lot of people when the Big Sky refuses to expand east.

So the Big Sky's multiple rejections of the Bison still brings out the emotions? :ohmy:

Current Bison fan decrees on this board, to protect the known gullibility of Sioux fans:

quit speculating on UND to the Sky, will neven happen

quit speculating on a new outdoor stadium

quit speculating on UND adding lacrosse

quit speculating that UND will win the lawsuit against the NCAA

quit speculating on recruits that are comparable to Bison recruits

quit speculating on Sioux football teams chances against a Bison team

quit speculating on a new BB arena

quit speculating on UND to the Summit

quit speculating on UND football to IA

These were earlier Bison declarations:

UND will never go DI, not even worth speculating on

UND won't have the finances to go DI, not even worth discussing

Right now there is really only one other option. With all the issues that the Big Sky is facing, they will be forced to reform their ways, much as the SEC and former SWC schools did. The Sky will have a brighter day.

Look where the SWC is today, could this be the begininng of the end of the Big Sky, just like many of the troubles in the end lead to an end of the SWC. Yes the SEC has had schools with issues but not this many at one time or this % of schools with serious issues all at one time.

Police: MSU football players, students bust into mayor's home

Two incoming freshman Montana State University football players and two other men burst into Bozeman Mayor Jeff Krauss' home early Monday morning in an attempt to escape police.

The men, who police believed had been egging houses, were running from police at about 3:45 a.m. when they crawled through a basement window into Krauss' southside Park Place home, Bozeman Police Sgt. Steve Crawford said Tuesday.

What's in the water in Montana??

Look where the SWC is today, could this be the begininng of the end of the Big Sky, just like many of the troubles in the end lead to an end of the SWC. Yes the SEC has had schools with issues but not this many at one time or this % of schools with serious issues all at one time.
The SWC is no more because the UT and AM were better off financially with the Big12. Big Sky schools have no where to go, with one or two exceptionis.

It looks like the reporters out in Bozeman got part of the story wrong. The two football recruits did go to a party, and did run from police when the party was busted, but they were not the individuals who broke into the Mayor's home, nor were they the ones responsible for the house egging that got the cops called in the first place. The reporters made an premature assumption and linked the stories when they should've waited and confirmed the facts. One of the recruits is visiting the neighborhood and has written the following letter that is being sent to the same.

Hello,

My name is Daniel Ogden. I am new to the Bozeman community and did not make a good first impression. I am one of the college students who ran through your neighborhood early Monday morning. I am also a new recruit for the Bobcat football team. I am here to apologize for adding to the confusion on that day.

My first day in Bozeman, I was invited to a house party (Sunday before the Monday orientation)

A reporter got a story wrong? Never :)

Glad to hear this young man wasn't involved in the other shenanigans. :p

Certainly it wouldn't be the first time a reporter got something wrong. Nor would it be the first time that a kid and his relatives claimed he was innocent of doing something he actually did. I'll reserve judgement until all the facts are in.

This will probably be one of the last articles on the incident; it's got most of the facts:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/200...ts/sports02.txt

Basic facts(from the article and other sources):

Two incoming MSU football recruits attended a party where booze was being served.

Another group of teenagers nearby egged several houses, then fled to the same party.

Police arrived and several partygoers fled, including the two recuits.

One recruit(Bignell) was part of a group of runners who entered the Mayor's home through a basement window.

Another member of that group was friends with the Mayor's son and had used the window with the son in the past.

The other recruit(Ogden) was not caught, but later turned himself in.

Both have pled guilty to their respective crimes(criminal trespassing for Bignell and obstructing a police officer for both - all misdemeaners) and recieved community service/probabtion.

Neither was charged with vandalism(the egg throwing), nor consuming alcohol(whatever Montana calls it); there's a report that neither recruit was actually drinking that night.

Both will keep their scholarships but will not play this year(coaches had planned on redshirting them before this anyway).

Part of the university's punishment was to apologize in person. Odgen's letter was apparently voluntary.

note: I think I was too hard on blaming the reporters. It seems they were just quoting inital police sources who commented to the press before all the facts were known. Articles published on the 27th have the incorrect facts; articles published later have access to the final police reports.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be a new member, but I bring good news.

"Lennon to stay at North Dakota

Posted: 6/10/2007 at 1:47 PM

Sioux football coach Dale Lennon reportedly pulled out of the running Saturday to be the next Montana State football coach, clearing the way for the coach from Drake to take the job. Lennon, who will begin his ninth year at North Dakota this fall, said the interview process only reaffirmed what he's done and wants to do at North Dakota.

In his interview at Montana State last Wednesday, Lennon pointed to the success of former assistants at North Dakota -- including Randy Hedberg -- as a demonstration of what was attractive to Montana State."

Link

-A Big Sioux Fan from Texas!

• 4 weeks later...

Sports Illustrated: Trouble in Montana's Paradise

Rob Ash, a college head coach for 27 years, most recently at Drake, replaced Kramer on June 11. While vowing to implement a culture of accountability, he acknowledges that to remain competitive the Bobcats must recruit in places like California and take transfers. He vows to investigate every recruit. "This summer we were looking at a couple of guys, but we found out that they had been kicked off a team previously," says the 56-year-old Ash. "We also had guys who had qualifying GPAs, but when we looked at the transcripts closer, we found too many nonacademic credits, and we couldn't predict success academically for them here. We didn't take any of them."."

At the NCAA convention last year, several college administrators attending a seminar on athletes and crime pleaded for ways to help athletes adapt to rural surroundings; many inquired about the need to run background checks on recruits. "You could tell that [the school officials] were frustrated," says Richard Ashby, a Southern California police detective of 14 years who spoke at the convention. "Schools are not equipped to deal with some of the athletes they admit. They are shocked when they bring friends with them, people with a criminal history.

"And if these kids, for whatever reason, should no longer have a team to play for, they often revert to what they grew up around, which can be dealing drugs or other criminal behavior. That's what we saw in Bozeman.

Ashby offered a suggestion at the convention that few schools are likely to heed: "If you can't afford to have someone looking after these kids at all times -- to monitor whom they are with, to counsel them -- if you don't have people who are like them in a place that they can trust, don't recruit them."

• 3 months later...

Another sad day in Montana:

Three Montana players arrested

Sporting News - Montana Players arrested

One wonders if Hauck can survive this.

Felony kidnapping, assault with a weapon and robbery charges landed three University of Montana football players in Missoula County jail early Sunday morning.

Missoula police waited until the Grizzlies returned to campus after their Saturday game in Pocatello, Idaho, to arrest freshman cornerback Jeremy Pate, junior running back Greg Coleman and junior defensive end Michael Shelton.

All three remained in jail Sunday night, with bond for each set at $200,000.

Late Sunday, UM's athletic department was struggling to move beyond the shock of the arrests - which came on the heels of several high-profile arrests of football players this past summer in Missoula and Southern California.

• 1 month later...

Former MSU coach files suit over firing - www.montanasnewsstation.com

Kramer is claiming wrongful termination in the lawsuit and on Thursday his legal team issued a statement saying "Coach Kramer was swiftboated to protect the butts of those two politicians and, indeed, other interests at Montana State University-Bozeman. It has been a sorry and sad situation that is a travesty that leads to today's filing of a lawsuit".

The "two politicians" would be MSU President Gamble and Athletic Director Fields.

• 1 month later...