SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 Soccer

supersioux

• 2 weeks later...

I'm behind with the Soccer updates.....

Oct 5: Loss at St Cloud (1-3).... Goal was scored by Lauren Herrmann (4th goal of the season), assisted by Stacy Pappas

Oct 7: Lost at Northern Iowa 0-3

Oct 12: Loss at Mankato 0-2

Oct 14: Tied with Augustana 1-1... Goal scored by Becca Krynski (2nd goal of the season), assisted by Mandi Boehmer

Next game is on Sunday (Oct 21) against UNO.... Let's see someone win against those guys!!

• 1 month later...

Looks like UND is looking for a new soccer coach....

University of North Dakota co-acting athletic director Betty Ralston announced today that Brock Thompson has resigned as UND’s head women’s soccer coach.

Thompson, who posted a 27-25-6 record in three seasons as UND’s head coach, will serve as the interim compliance director for UND athletics during the spring semester, Ralston said, while a national search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

Brock Thompson resigns as UND women’s soccer coach

I thought that he had done a great job. I don't know what happened with this past season but I know that the program was respected a lot more around the community and the state under his watch. I hope that he wanted to step down versus being told to. The release seems to hint at there may be more to the story

I know one thing that it has to been an awful time to go thru a coaching change with the transition to DI.

Thank you coach for all of the work that you did (especially with Sunflake Soccer, it was nice to have you and your teams help)

• 1 month later...

I can't find it on the online Herald, but a little blurb on the soccer search says that they should be interviewing this week or next. They have a total of 14 applicants, one of which is Kristen Gay the current assistant coach.

I am a little surprised that only 14 people applied.

I can't find it on the online Herald, but a little blurb on the soccer search says that they should be interviewing this week or next. They have a total of 14 applicants, one of which is Kristen Gay the current assistant coach.

What's going to happen to this years recruiting class? We signed 10 yesterday in soccer and a few in track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No real surprise about either situation - Brock being in over his head and/or only 14 applicants for the position.

The 1st thing you have to look at with regards to the NCAA play-off team was who was responsible for recruiting the majority of those players? I think a lot of the credit for the quality of those players goes to Ange Morrison and it some respect to Neil Sedgwick for the 5th year players.

Brock is/was very effective at playing the underdog/under appreciated angle with his teams but that approach only takes you so far and it's usually only a one shot deal. (Although he was able to use it quite effectively with his Bismarck HS teams in they're ongoing rivalry with EDC teams.)

As for there only being 14 applicants? Ask yourself these questions - how long has the Sioux women's soccer program been in existence? How many head coaches has the program had during that time period?

Combine those answers with the fact that the program is making the leap from DII to DI without the safety net of a conference and I think getting 14 applicants is a pretty good number