SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX - EAGLES - BLACKBEARS - SPARTANS, Frozen 4 thoughts, prediction

AZSIOUX

I predict UND to win #8.

87, 97, 07.......lucky sevens baby!

Destiny belongs to us.

Everyone else, is just........toast.

The Michigan game proved that when we are down, we are not out.

I'm telling you, this team is something special. I hope that as many Sioux fans as possible make the trek to St. Louis because it's going to be something special!

EDITED TO ADD: "SPECIAL" HockeyMom style.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you know about these guys? Everyone knows that us and them are the hottest teams in the country right now, however, we don't get as much east coast coverage resulting in a lack of information/interest around here (until now!). I do know they moved one of their forwards (forgot who) to Defense and a defenseman to a scoring line and it has worked tremendously well. Also, their goalie is one of the hottest in the country right now, although he hasn't seen our boys in person yet this year.

This BC team is a scary team. They were one of the top pre-season favorites this year, but were fairly quiet for the most part throughout the year, until recently.

What do you know/think?

Go Sioux! THE SKATE FOR EIGHT!

SCORING OFFENSE Games Goals Avg.

6 North Dakota 42 149 3.55

11 Boston College 40 135 3.38

SCORING DEFENSE Games GA Avg.

5 Boston College 40 87 2.17

21 North Dakota 42 110 2.62

SCORING MARGIN Games Goals GA Margin

4 Boston College 40 135 87 1.20

8 North Dakota 42 149 110 0.93

WINNING PERCENTAGE Won Loss Tied Pct.

3 Boston College 28 11 1 .712

11 North Dakota 24 13 5 .631

POWER PLAY PERCENTAGE PPG PPA Pct.

3 North Dakota 54 227 23.8

13 Boston College 40 205 19.5

PENALTY KILLING PERCENTAGE Totals Pct.

4 Boston College 203/229 88.6

26 North Dakota 204/245 83.3

BC

Past 15 games:

14-1 (current 12 game winning streak).

Scored 4 or more goals 10 times.

Allowed 3 or more goals 2 times.

Outscored opponents 61-23.

Goals for: 4.07 (4.58 during the 12 game win streak).

Goals allowed: 1.92

UND

Since WJT (20 games):

14-2-4 (current 2 game winning streak).

Scored 4 or more goals 10 times.

Allowed 3 or more goals 10 times.

Outscored opponents 85-48.

Goals for: 4.25

Goals allowed: 2.40

As hot as UND has been, BC has been just as hot. UND will need to play a much tighter defensive game than they did last year. The stat that sticks out the most IMO is the GA; UND has allowed 3 or more goals in half the games they have played during this hot streak, while BC has only allowed 3 or more goals just twice in the past 15 games.

The winner of this game will probably be considered the favorite to win the title. If the Maine team from earlier this year shows up they will be a formidable opponent. I thought they looked very good at the Ralph early in the season.

Not sure what to make of MSU, they finished 4th in the CCHA. They went 1-4 in their last 5 regular season games, won their first round playoffs 2-0, then lost to Michigan 5-2, then squeaked by LSSU 7-6 in ot for 3rd place. Then they win their regional 5-1 over BU and 2-1 over ND. I think the outcome of the Maine/MSU game resides with Maine, if the good Maine team shows, then Maine wins. If the Maine team that went 9-11 down the stretch shows up then MSU plays for the title. Hard to tell from the regional if Maine is back on track. That was a very weak regional and set up nicely for Maine to advance to the FF.

Misc:

Maine

first 19 games: 14-3-2

last 20 games: 9-11

MSU

first 20 games: 11-8-1

last 20 games: 13-5-2

KRACH Strength of Schedule

UND 4

BC 11

Maine 13

MSU 16

When the Sioux win #8 in St. Louis it will be very well deserved.

None of the remaining teams have as strong a D as the Gophers so the Sioux should be able to notch more goals. If they wind up with Maine in the final, the key to beating them is to get their Kong goalie moving from side to side. It creates a nice big five hole.

We all talked about the winner of this region being the next national champ but I wonder if BC is a little underrated. They have pretty much dominated every team they have played the last month, and their stats speak for themselves. They are going to be hard to score on, and unfortunately their PK appears to be a strength. This will be a very tough test. They may be every bit as good, or even better than MI, MN or UND.

The stat that sticks out the most IMO is the GA; UND has allowed 3 or more goals in half the games they have played during this hot streak, while BC has only allowed 3 or more goals just twice in the past 15 games.

I don't want to seem overconfident, but the Sioux have scored 11 goals against Cory Schneider the last two times UND and BC played.

I don't want to seem overconfident, but the Sioux have scored 11 goals against Cory Schneider the last two times UND and BC played.

I have alot of faith about just how hard the Sioux are preparing for BC now. IF the Sioux play their game to their capable level they will win. If not anything goes...

Looking at BC's stats for this year I grow a little more concerned. They were fairly consistent, easily out of the 4 remaining teams. They are averaging about 3 goals/ game while giving up just over 2. They are missing some pretty prominent names from last year, but still have solid defense and outstanding goaltending. What I think will help the most is that UND has faced tough teams consistently as of late. I think Michigan was the quickest team in the country this year, so speed should not catch them off guard and they have faced stingy defenses for most of the year and yet came away with the best goals/game average in the WCHA. I still think UND wins it, but they are going to have to give 110% for all 60 minutes.

Having seen Michigan in Denver, I would agree. Based on all the teams I've seen UND play this year, Michigan was the quickest/fastest. I think UND was caught off guard by Michigan's speed initially and I don't see that happening with BC especially after last year's semi game.

I don't think BC matches up with UND. I didn't think they did last year either and I'd guess UND would have won three of four vs. them last season. I think there will be a big edge in play to UND favor. If UND can force them to take penalties, the UND PP will put the game away.

Maine is always the eastern team I fear the most. If their game is in order and Bishop fully healthy they will play very tough and will likely be in the final. It was a LONG time ago, but they looked great at the X and I assume they must have been pretty tough at REA.

Maine has been the bridesmaid in the most painful fasion recently, so I hope this year isn't the year it evens out. Especially with the draw they had. It just wouldn't be right for the Sioux to go through UM/UM/BC and Maine going SCSU/UMASS/MSU for them to come out on top.

BC has 2 very explosive scoring lines (72% of their goals come from their top 5 guys vs. 57% from our top 5 guys). I also noticed that BC expects little or no scoring from their defense. They've only scored 8 goals on defense all year which contributes a little more than 5% of their total goal scoring. UND contributes nearly 20% of their goal production from their defense. It looks like we can have an advantage (or a liability) when our defense pinches down. It also places a lot of pressure on Porter/Vandevelde/Watkins to repeat their performance from the regional. As always, we'll need scoring from our lower lines to take the pressure off of the DOT.

CS has been consistent the 3 years he's been with BC. In his past 2 season, 2.10 GA, .928 SV% with 14 shutouts. I like our chances if we continue to have the same success against him. Schneider's stats in 2 games against UND = 5.50 GAA .822 SV%

you all are forgetting something this is our year to win the UND/BC matchup:

1999-bc

2000-nd

2001-bc

2005-nd

2006-bc

2007-nd??

Nice. :D I was thinking along the same lines!

This is going to be a tough game. Hockey East has been tough this year. Maine is 4-0 against UND, UM and SCSU, BC is 2-0 against UW. However, most of the games were early, and I have confidence that the Sioux can and will beat BC and get a rematch against Maine.

I also noticed that BC expects little or no scoring from their defense. They've only scored 8 goals on defense all year which contributes a little more than 5% of their total goal scoring.

That's a little misleading because Brian Boyle, who played most of the season as a forward, has played as a defenseman for the past six games. He has three goals and six assists since making the switch.

I've gotten to see BC in person three times this year. They are certainly a solid club, but by no means unbeatable. If I was the Sioux coaching staff, I would try to get tape of their Beanpot game against Harvard. The Crimson did a great job bottling the Eagles up and still generating scoring chances. Gerbe is a small speedy threat in the Duncan mold, containing him will be a key. At the Hockey East finals, BC was the only team playing with much passion or intensity, so I wasn't at all surprised by the early exits of BU and UNH.

I think despite getting five teams in the tourney, Hockey East was very top heavy this year. UMass really only got in because they were able to win 4 in a row over a Bishop-less Maine team. The bottom of the league couldn't hold a candle to the lower half of the WCHA. This was borne out in the respective conference tourneys. WCHA 6 and 7 both won, while 9 and 10 were able to take 1 and 2 to three games. In Hockey East, 1 and 2 blew out 7 and 8. That is ultimately what knocked Denver and CC out of the tourney.

sorry my bad, 11 goals.

My only intention was to point out that BC's D-corps isn't quite as offensively challenged as the stats make it appear with Boyle added to the mix. Perhaps that's why he was moved to defense.

My only intention was to point out that BC's D-corps isn't quite as offensively challenged as the stats make it appear with Boyle added to the mix. Perhaps that's why he was moved to defense.

Understood and I would agree. With Boyle on the Blueline, Motherwell has some offensive help. Frankly I'm glad Boyle is now on defense. Gives us more opportunity to be physical with their smaller forwards. Hope we can wear them down.

Understood and I would agree. With Boyle on the Blueline, Motherwell has some offensive help. Frankly I'm glad Boyle is now on defense. Gives us more opportunity to be physical with their smaller forwards. Hope we can wear them down.

I don't know. Boyle scares me. He's doing amazing things.

He alternates between the point and a forward on special teams. He's got size too.

Not mention Gerbe has some wheels as well.