SiouxSports.com Forum

St Cloud continues to protest UND nickname

jimdahl

"I believe it is a racial issue," he said. "I believe it is a civil rights issue. I believe it is a religious issue, and people are getting hurt."

This is a quote from that above article by Saigo.

I'm Catholic.  His school is SAINT Cloud State University.

I think I'm offended.  He's going to have to change.

So, what's the status on that DoJ investigation regarding SCCC's systemic anti-Semitism and racism?  Oh, and did those private, civil suits disappear?  Pot ... black?  Hmm, it's not called "White Cloud" for nothing.

Well, what can one expect from the leader a half-ass school known more for its perpetually inebriated student body than anything else.

What a pathetic excuse for a university president.  ####, he lacks the same gonads as President Kupcake.  Maybe they could switch jobs ... nobody would notice though.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/2721812.htm  I'm assuming that UND and the Illinois Illini are the targets of this resolution.  I think the  most irritating part of the whole issue is the silence from UND administration and/or NDSB of higher education.  Is silence the normal response when this type of debate "rages" on?   Do any of you know how the administrations of other schools in similar circumstances (ie. Florida State, Utah Utes) respond to groups like MnSCU?  Do they have a policy of "ignore them, they eventually go away"?  Do they have a "generic" press release that they send out which lists such things as PERMISSION TO USE THE NAME FROM A TRIBE, academic opportunities, tradition/heritage, etc....  It's Friday, I shouldn't be in such a crabby mood!!!

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/2721812.htm  I'm assuming that UND and the Illinois Illini are the targets of this resolution.  I think the  most irritating part of the whole issue is the silence from UND administration and/or NDSB of higher education.  Is silence the normal response when this type of debate "rages" on?   Do any of you know how the administrations of other schools in similar circumstances (ie. Florida State, Utah Utes) respond to groups like MnSCU?  Do they have a policy of "ignore them, they eventually go away"?  Do they have a "generic" press release that they send out which lists such things as PERMISSION TO USE THE NAME FROM A TRIBE, academic opportunities, tradition/heritage, etc....  It's Friday, I shouldn't be in such a crabby mood!!!

Most probably the NC$$ could not force a school to retroactively change their name/logo.  Schools have a vested, financial interest in their names/logos and I really doubt the NC$$ would want to fork over the $$$ to compensate the schools for that lost revenue, not to mention what the NC$$ takes in from licensed merchandise.

As a resident of Minnesota, I'm kind of glad that the state is having budget problems.  It should provide for cuts at different universities, including St. Clown and Mankato, as well as tuition increases.  Maybe these little dirtbags will finally understand what it means to live in the "real world."  They probably won't have time to "educate" us, if they have to work a real job. :)

Most probably the NC$$ could not force a school to retroactively change their name/logo.  Schools have a vested, financial interest in their names/logos and I really doubt the NC$$ would want to fork over the $$$ to compensate the schools for that lost revenue, not to mention what the NC$$ takes in from licensed merchandise.

As a resident of Minnesota, I'm kind of glad that the state is having budget problems.  It should provide for cuts at different universities, including St. Clown and Mankato, as well as tuition increases.  Maybe these little dirtbags will finally understand what it means to live in the "real world."  They probably won't have time to "educate" us, if they have to work a real job. :)

Anyone else heard of the Winona State .... Warriors?

That's a MnSCU school. But they're OK, because their warrior logo is of a "Spartan"-looking fellow.

You see, white guys can be mascots because they obviously aren't worthy the same protections under the veil of "human rights" as other minorities.  :)

The Greek-American minority should be equally protected and should be outraged over this travesty.

On WCCO this morning (or was it KSTP?) there was a report that the SCSU administration was having to deal with letters that were being sent by 2 professors of the University to high schools with predominantly black enrollments telling the students that St. Cloud is not a healthy place for minority students to live.

Now, 1.  as stated by many others it looks like St. Cloud has its own problems it should be working to solve (I don't even know if there are grounds for these claims or not)

2.  I'm not aware of any racially stereotypical mascots of black people anywhere and yet we are faced with racial problems.  Isn't that interesting?  Apparently it does not solve the real problem.

In fact, maybe taking this to it's "out there" conclusion, could African Americans state that the lack of AA oriented nicknames ACTUALLY be a form of racism??  Here's my reasoning, though I do not personally subscribe to any of this, just thinking through it on my lunch hour:

If schools say they have chosen nicknames like "Sioux" or Seminoles, etc because of the culture that surrounds the school, or because of admirable qualities of that people, shouldn't AA people be offended?  They could say that no one finds anything about their culture worth wanting to use as a nickname, or that as a people we are ignoring their qualities and accomplishments and that would be degrading to them as a people.

Once again, I do not subscribe to any form of thinking on this matter personally.  Just following some logic trails through this argument and this one has not been brought up anywhere that I am aware of.  Could be no one can win no matter which side of this argument you are on.