SiouxSports.com Forum

All State Players

HockeyGuy1770

just thought I would mention to you all that Herbel wants to come to UND for college after he graduates. He sounds like maybe a good walk-on player?

If he is serious about hockey I would recommend that he try out for Team North Dakota and if he matches up well in the Showcase he will be drafted in the NAHL/USHL or both or at least get some invitations to junior A tryouts. Most kids, even top players in North Dakota and Minnesota are not strong enough, or developed sufficiently to play at a WCHA school straight out of high school. Sounds as though he needs an advisor who could help him sort out the options for his hockey career post-high school.

If he is serious about hockey I would recommend that he try out for Team North Dakota and if he matches up well in the Showcase he will be drafted in the NAHL/USHL or both or at least get some invitations to junior A tryouts. Most kids, even top players in North Dakota and Minnesota are not strong enough, or developed sufficiently to play at a WCHA school straight out of high school. Sounds as though he needs an advisor who could help him sort out the options for his hockey career post-high school.

yeah, i don't know. I just know that he came back to ND after playing at some school in Nebraska for his senior year. My dad knows his mom and was telling me about this.

The coaches have always picked the All-State Team. The media, on the other hand, selects the All-Tournament Team. It has been that way as long as I remember.

Arnason should have been on the team, so I agree with that assessment.

Herbel may have benefited from a split vote, but there are many here who have in past years wanted more than just the two candidates (EDC and WDA Sr. athlete), so now that it worked against you, remember you can't have it both ways.

Dave Hoff, Bottineau's coach, says there are numerous talented players in the state, but he says Herbel is the best skater in the state. Put that info with his stats, and the pick is legit, doesn't mean someone else getting it would not have been legit, but I am comfortable Herbel is deserving of the award. Hoff has coached a long time, and knows his stuff. He has coached Team ND in Chicago Showcase.

It is his opinion that Herbel is the best skater in the state. I would not use that information to justify a NHL prospect being snubbed of Mr. Hockey. There are many factors that go into assessing the quality of a players ability to skate. Is he talking about skating in a straight line? Or is he factoring into how he moves side to side, front to back, and from a stand still. Alexander Ovechkin is not a very good skater in a straight line. Next time you have the opportunity, watch him on a one on one. He is always moving side to side, crossing over, because he is not as confident skating in a straight line, that is why he is so hard to defend against. But, he bends at the waist, and the force of his push does not travel through his center of gravity. It would be my assumption, that if you were to ask Coach Hoff if Ovechkin is indeed a good skater, he would probably reply with yes, and he would not be able to tell you much other than that. While Ovechkin is a tremendous skater when he is moving from side to side, and is explosive from a standstill, he is hardly the model for perfection for skating stride. Some players have strides that are actually too good. Yes, too good. Take Kyle Okposo for example. Okposo has a tremendous stride that is powerful and very long. The only problem is, it may be too long for optimal footspeed. While Herbel may be a good skater, Coach Hoff would have to assess the ability of every players ability in the state to skate as well as close to perfection as possible. I do not believe Bottineau traveled too far East, so I'm not sure how he would have the means to study each players stride at any significant level.

End lesson.

It is his opinion that Herbel is the best skater in the state. I would not use that information to justify a NHL prospect being snubbed of Mr. Hockey. There are many factors that go into assessing the quality of a players ability to skate. Is he talking about skating in a straight line? Or is he factoring into how he moves side to side, front to back, and from a stand still. Alexander Ovechkin is not a very good skater in a straight line. Next time you have the opportunity, watch him on a one on one. He is always moving side to side, crossing over, because he is not as confident skating in a straight line, that is why he is so hard to defend against. But, he bends at the waist, and the force of his push does not travel through his center of gravity. It would be my assumption, that if you were to ask Coach Hoff if Ovechkin is indeed a good skater, he would probably reply with yes, and he would not be able to tell you much other than that. While Ovechkin is a tremendous skater when he is moving from side to side, and is explosive from a standstill, he is hardly the model for perfection for skating stride. Some players have strides that are actually too good. Yes, too good. Take Kyle Okposo for example. Okposo has a tremendous stride that is powerful and very long. The only problem is, it may be too long for optimal footspeed. While Herbel may be a good skater, Coach Hoff would have to assess the ability of every players ability in the state to skate as well as close to perfection as possible. I do not believe Bottineau traveled too far East, so I'm not sure how he would have the means to study each players stride at any significant level.

End lesson.

There are many other factors that go into the voting process for Mr. Hockey from what I know. Mr. Wurden obviously didnt stack up in the other areas to herbel or the other candidates. Get over it. If you honestly think this is gonna make or break Danny Wurden you are crazy. He will still go to Sioux City and play in the USHL and we shall see what happens from there. Good luck to both Herbel and Wurden.

There are many other factors that go into the voting process for Mr. Hockey from what I know. Mr. Wurden obviously didnt stack up in the other areas to herbel or the other candidates. Get over it. If you honestly think this is gonna make or break Danny Wurden you are crazy. He will still go to Sioux City and play in the USHL and we shall see what happens from there. Good luck to both Herbel and Wurden.

No one ever said this is going to make or break anyone. At the end of the day it's an award. Nothing more, nothing less. It meant you were successful in high school, not that you will be successful at any other level.