SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional Tourney Picks

BigGreyAnt41

What I find so annoying about these seedings is that coming into the NCC tournament, UND and NDSU were essentially dead even. They tied for third in the NCC, had the same number of losses overall, and split the season series. So you would think that whomever did better in the tournament would gain the upper hand. UND goes out and wins the tournament, including a convincing win over USD and a win against the number one team on their home court. Those wins count for huge power points. NDSU gets hammered in the semi-finals at SDSU, making them 0-3 on the year against the Jackrabbits. UND, by comparison, is now 2-1 against SDSU.

I would defy anyone to make a convincing case that NDSU merits being seeded higher than UND after this past week. I don't think it's possible. Either the committee somehow got UND and NDSU confused when doing the seedings, or some people on this committee are dishonest and/or incompetent. This is the second year in a row that UND has been screwed in the seedings so draw your own conclusions here.

The UND Loss to UMD was big. NDSU's only non-conference loss was to the #1 team in the Nation, Seattle-Pacific. None of the Bison losses came to a team rated lower than #11 in the final pole. The Bison also had a win against #3 Bentley College and regional team Concordia-St Paul, and #24 Western Washington. A tougher non-conference schedule than UND. I am not sure what else they look at but that may be what influenced the committee. If you base it solely on "Hot Team" and conference tourney, then UND would have a higher seed.

The NCC tourney is much tougher than any of those teams the Bison beat!! There is not one single arguement against UND being seeded over the Bison. If all the seeds basically stayed the same, WHY IN THE HELL DO THEY PLAY THE NCC TOURNEY? What a JOKE! The Sioux dominate in Frost Arena and end up getting the only worthwhile first round opponent. Why would Kearney drop because of losing a game, but not the Bison?? The Sioux go 4-4 against the Other Big 3 in the NCC, the Bison 2-5. All I can say is WOW!!

I am not going to argue with you. I just gave my opinion on what I thought the committee was basing their choice on. If the NCC teams did not play each other, they would be ranked much higher. All four in the top five. I do not think seeding matters much, unless it is the #1 seed. I think SDSU should get the #1 seed.

The Bison did better than expected this year. They were picked 17th in the pre-season pole.

Yes, the NCC women get very screwed because they play each other. The seeds will probably hurt the Sioux for the fact that they are the only ones guaranteed a tougher game in the first round and SDSU should have an easy go of it. I would be VERY surprised if Regis gives them any type of a game, I doubt Regis cab handle that physical type of play. UND, if they even win against UMD, should be a lot more tired than SDSU in the semis. If UND had gotten the three seed, their opponent should have the same type of game the night before.

Mens regional:

1-UNK vs. 8-UMD

4-SDSU vs. 5-Ft Hays

2-St Cloud vs 7-UND

3-Metro vs 6 Ft Lewis

St. Cloud can't be very happy about seeing UND. They each won on the others home court in close games. Big difference in them facing UND and UNK getting UMD. Surprised to see Ft.Lewis over the Bison. Ft Lewis was 19-11 on the season.

The Bison lost to Northern State (20-9), so they were probably behind them and maybe Omaha. Fort Lewis must have made it by finishing first in the Western Division of the RMAC. Also it helps to have the defending National Champion in your conference.

I doubt they were behind Omaha, if they were I am all confused! That would mean the mens tourney counted and the womens didn't! ??? Northern State is a tough call, yes they were #10 in the last poll, but who knows the way teams were jumping around. I just figured the committee would realize what a dogfight the NCC was this year. Six good teams and Mankato had a lot of talent too! I thought NDSU had a very good arguement! I read where that West Division in the RMAC was pretty weak this year. It is just too bad UND and St Cloud have to play each other, they should have switched UND and Ft Lewis so it was two conference matchups in that bracket.

I hope the women didn't peak last week, especially with it not doing any good for the seedings. Hopefully they are over their squandering leads because they are as talented as anyone in the country. It sure looks like Jenny Boll doesn't want her senior season to end. She is playing like the Jenny from a couple of seasons ago before her knees were so bad, well I think they were still bad then, but not as much as now. A SDSU/UND semi final sure would be fun, but Duluth is a very tough team to get by first. Good luck ladies!!!

According to the NCAA website, there are six different criteria used to select/seed teams. They are, in no particular order of priority, as follows:

1. overall record

2. head-to-head results

3. record vs. common opponents

4. record within the region

5. overall strength of schedule

6. strength of schedule within the region

overall record

UND 25-5

NDSU 25-6

advantage: UND

head-to-head results

each team was 1-1

advantage: none

record vs. common opponents

UND 16-4

NDSU 14-5

won/loss record within the region

UND 20-5

NDSU 16-5

overall strength of schedule index

UND 10.6 power points per game

NDSU 10.74 power points per game

advantage: NDSU

strength of schedule within the region

UND 10.74 power points per game

NDSU 10.32 power points per game

So if you're keeping score at home, UND has the advantage in four of the six categories, is coming off an NCC tournament title including wins over the supposed top two teams in the region away from home, and yet is seeded two spots lower than NDSU. Is this fair? Perhaps if you're an NDSU fan, but probably not by any other standard.

I never said it was fair.

The most important part of the selection process went NDSU's way - The Selection Committee.

Yeah, and the selection committee sucks. ??? I understand that when you are the beneficiary of a highly questionable decision, then it's human nature not to be very critical of it. Unfortunately, decisions such as this undermine the entire selection/seeding process. If a committee isn't going to bother following the criteria chosen by the NCAA, then at an absolute minimum it gives an appearance of impropriety, if not outright corruption and/or incompetence.

Last season, this committee--with mostly the identical membership--actually selected more RMAC teams for the tournament than NCC teams! Can you imagine the idiocy such a decision requires? While they didn't have the audacity to try that again, they still managed to find another way to screw over UND for the second year in a row.

I happened to read in the online edition of the Omaha paper that they were extremely unhappy that they weren't selected for the regional. Hmmm, let's see, maybe it was because they finished 5th in the NCC, and were only 15-10 against division II opponents? They also apparently thought UND should have voluntarily forfeited the games Allen played in. Whatever. ;)

Maybe Omaha should win a few games during the NCC. Funny how these teams are forgetting that UND finished ahead of them in the NCC, even with the screw job in Vermillion. These teams couldn't beat UND WITHOUT Myron in the lineup....so they should just shut the hell up. There are a few whiners on the Bison board too...maybe they should win a few more games. You think it was Myron putting up 28 a game on them and not the Beas. It's not like UND is that good, they are a one man team and they still couldn't beat them. Stop the Beas and UND is not even average!! UND could of have won every game in the NCC if they could shoot free throws. Those teams that are complaining got blown out a few times. They should be happy Myron didn't face them or they would have even more losses and UND would be hosting the regional this weekend.

They should be happy Myron didn't face them or they would have even more losses and UND would be hosting the regional this weekend.

If you had Allen...If SDSU did not have 4 starters out for the season, they would have been tough for you guys even with Allen. Just think they probably get them all back next year. Plus Nagy is one of the best coaches around. Metro St is getting hot again like last year when they got hot at tourney time and won it all.