SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

I don't know how many other "groups" will be clamoring to get on the board, but I would think that the committee will be listening to alot of different groups and gathering information from them. I'm not sure exactly how the committee is organized. Will the members select a leader of the committe or is the new chancellor the head of the committee?

I'm hoping that all voices are heard and a solid choice is made. My comments regarding having an American Indian on the committee, as I said previously, would be one of inclusion. When a choice is made and an American Indian is on the committee, it can be said that "the committee made the choice", whether the American Indian member of some other member for that matter, didn't vote for the new president.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a choice is made and an American Indian is on the committee, it can be said that "the committee made the choice", whether the American Indian member of some other member for that matter, didn't vote for the new president.

Ideally, that's how it should work. As a practical matter, it won't work that way. And I'm not singling out the American Indian member if one's included. There's almost always some respresentative of some constituency who's not happy that the candidate they favored isn't selected. You see it over and over again.

Ideally, that's how it should work. As a practical matter, it won't work that way. And I'm not singling out the American Indian member if one's included. There's almost always some respresentative of some constituency who's not happy that the candidate they favored isn't selected. You see it over and over again.

I think you've used the quote before PCM...

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby Quotes

Actually it was my signature for a while. :D

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- William Henry "Bill" Cosby, Jr., Ph.D.

Well, you and PCM look alike. :lol:

I do remember that now that you mention it.

I thought this topic deserved a fresh thread, aside from the thread regarding Kupchella leaving.

Smith to seek UND presidency

Not to toot my own horn but.....Toot Toot...haha :lol: (although Iramurphy suggested it in late 2004)

Can we get Bruce Smith to replace Kupchella?

The Current Situation

As always the visionary AFF chimed in with ignorant comments that same day.

Looks as if Paulsen has changed his mind...Board president wants Indian rep on UND search committee

fter first rebuffing the idea, the president of the Board of Higher Education said he will recommend adding an American Indian to the panel that will recruit a new president for the University of North Dakota.

"I've thought about it a lot. Obviously, it's received a lot of attention," John Q. Paulsen said Wednesday. "The more I thought about it, the more I reflected about it, the more it seemed to me that it was appropriate and, in fact, correct and right that there should be a representative of the American Indian community on the search committee."

Makes you wonder who has Paulsen's ear. Just last week he was dead set against it and now after reflection, he is for it?? :ohmy:

I'm on the record as being for it, I'm just wondering who changed Paulsen't mind.

I'm on the record as being for it, I'm just wondering who changed Paulsen't mind.

If it means that the nickname issue becomes one of the primary issues in selecting the next UND president (and I suspect that it will), then this is a mistake.

If it means that the nickname issue becomes one of the primary issues in selecting the next UND president (and I suspect that it will), then this is a mistake.

I agree that "if" it becomes a primary issue in the selection that it is a mistake, but I go back to my original position that by having a Native American on the selection committee will at the very least provide "inclusion" in the process. My thought is that that one person cannot drive the whole committee with his/her "one issue". I hope that I'm not wrong.

I submit the name Archie Fool Bear for the presidential selection committee.

I agree that "if" it becomes a primary issue in the selection that it is a mistake, but I go back to my original position that by having a Native American on the selection committee will at the very least provide "inclusion" in the process.

And what about all the minorities on campus being excluded?

I think we are reverting back to the discussion on June 14th. I know that I don't have all of the answers on this, but I believe having a Native American on the committee and "buying in" to the selection of the next president isn't a bad thing.

I think we are reverting back to the discussion on June 14th. I know that I don't have all of the answers on this, but I believe having a Native American on the committee and "buying in" to the selection of the next president isn't a bad thing.

I don't have a problem with it if, as you say, the nickname issue doesn't become a litmus test for who is selected as the next president. However, given the often-stated agenda of the person who promoted the idea, I have difficulty believing that it won't happen.

The truly ironic apsect of this is that UND has done more for American Indians than any other public university in this region. It has more programs, more students and more services for American Indians than NDSU, SDSU and USD. It even puts the NCAA's "model institutions" of Wisconsin and Iowa to shame in this regard.

And yet, when it comes time to select a new president at UND, a particular minority must be represented in the name of inclusion. Why? Are we seriously supposed to believe that UND will do less for Native Americans if they don't have a representative on the selection committee?

i don't have a problem with a Native American being named to the committee, but I think it should be a student not some random guy from the reservation because students are the ones who will be affected by who the next president is and it kinda bugs me that right now students only have one voice on the committee.

i don't have a problem with a Native American being named to the committee, but I think it should be a student not some random guy from the reservation...

I'm reasonably certain that the American Indian representative selected for the committee is no more likely to be "some random guy from the reservation" than the student representative was "some random kid from the union." :)

I'm reasonably certain that the American Indian representative selected for the committee is no more likely to be "some random guy from the reservation" than the student representative was "some random kid from the union." :)

i know I know, I worded that wrong. I actually know the student representative and he is a good guy. But if you look at the make-up of the committee, the Grand Forks community gets more of a voice than the students do. My random guy from the reservation was meant to be a guy that the reservation wanted because he is important to them and a high-up guy. Sorry for the confusion. :p

Hoeven supported adding Indian to search committee

In a phone conversation Monday, Gov. John Hoeven told State Board of Higher Education President John Paulsen that he personally supports adding an American Indian member to the search committee that will choose UND's next president, according to Don Larson, a spokesman for the governor.
Hoeven told Paulsen he knows the ultimate decision rests solely with the board, Larson said. Paulsen said Thursday that Hoeven's phone call was not instrumental in his decision.

"I get lots of advice from lots of people," Paulsen said, "and I appreciate every time I get advice from the governor or the Indian Affairs Commission or both. So I don't want to belittle their advice in any way. But I was already in the process of clearly thinking this through in a way that was taking me in a direction away from my original decision."

Things that make you go hmmm.