SiouxSports.com Forum

06-07 Mr. Hockey

Stiouxy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's still over half of the season left, but I think the 3 frontrunners are goalie Sean Deichert of Fargo South and forward Kyle Everson of Devils Lake and defensman Danny Wurden of Fargo South. My pick, if I had to pick today, would be Sean Deichert of Fargo South. He had a great season last year between the pipes for the Bruins and continues to shine again this year, 5-0 record, 1.40 G.A.A., and a save % of 93.

Anyone else have players they think should be added to the list?

I know there's still over half of the season left, but I think the 3 frontrunners are goalie Sean Deichert of Fargo South and forward Kyle Everson of Devils Lake and defensman Danny Wurden of Fargo South. My pick, if I had to pick today, would be Sean Deichert of Fargo South. He had a great season last year between the pipes for the Bruins and continues to shine again this year, 5-0 record, 1.40 G.A.A., and a save % of 93.

Anyone else have players they think should be added to the list?

That is a very reasonable assumption of players. I agree with the exception of Everson, but only time will tell if he makes the cut.

• 2 weeks later...
I still think Eric Herbel from Bottineau is as good as any player in the state.

Why is it so difficult for people on this message board to keep their vision from clouding because they are friends with or tied to a certain player or team in this state. If Eric Herbel was in fact as good as any player in the state he would have been recruited to play for high school elite team, scouted by college division one hockey teams and various jr. leagues throughout the Nation. If that is in fact the case, provide such information. But until you can make a claim that is anywhere near credible, please, keep it to yourself.

Why is it so difficult for people on this message board to keep their vision from clouding because they are friends with or tied to a certain player or team in this state. If Eric Herbel was in fact as good as any player in the state he would have been recruited to play for high school elite team, scouted by college division one hockey teams and various jr. leagues throughout the Nation. If that is in fact the case, provide such information. But until you can make a claim that is anywhere near credible, please, keep it to yourself.

I could care less about the validity of the post involved but ... here's a thought for you, UNDhockey22: This is a message board, and as long as the comments are not obscene, people are free to post as they wish. You are also free to disagree. But don't tell someone to keep it to themselves. It is simply not your place to do so!

I will go with Chad Demers..... :silly: or anyone from Grafton since I graduated from there.

Mr. Hockey is awarded to the best SENIOR in the state. It'd be kinda tough for Demers to win it unless hes planning on graduating 2 years early.

I could care less about the validity of the post involved but ... here's a thought for you, UNDhockey22: This is a message board, and as long as the comments are not obscene, people are free to post as they wish. You are also free to disagree. But don't tell someone to keep it to themselves. It is simply not your place to do so!

I posted as I saw fit. However, just for the sake of being a team player I'll rephrase it for you.

"Until you can make a claim that is anywhere near realistic, please consider keeping it to yourself, that way people won't question your thought process.

I posted as I saw fit. However, just for the sake of being a team player I'll rephrase it for you.

"Until you can make a claim that is anywhere near realistic, please consider keeping it to yourself, that way people won't question your thought process.

This is the kind of stuff that I usually don't respond to, but I'll make an exception to this. There are a lot of people posting on here that think the only two teams that have good players in the state are Fargo South and Red River, and that there are no good players anywhere else in the state, and if you dont agree with this then it is not a realistic claim, maybe that was just UNDhockey22.

Let me ask you this UNDhockey22, how many players from last year play either D1 hockey or currently play in the USHL from the state of North Dakota? I would be surprised if the number is greater than 5. Some people are only saying that he should be considered one of the top players in the state, not that he is the best player. The bottom line is only a very few handful of players play beyond highschool. On top of it I doubt anyone in here has seen him play yet, how can you critique a players skills without seeing him play? All some of us want in here is to please think before you post. Yes, you can post whatever it is you want but remember UNDhockey22 your claim that he is bad because he is on a bad team is one of the most unrealistic claims i have personally ever heard in this forum, so maybe the advice you gave to another poster about his unrealistic claim should be considered when you post as well. This is nothing personally, but until you see someone play it is not really possible to critique how good they are, and if you know how to do that you know something that no other scout in the world does.

This is the kind of stuff that I usually don't respond to, but I'll make an exception to this. There are a lot of people posting on here that think the only two teams that have good players in the state are Fargo South and Red River, and that there are no good players anywhere else in the state, and if you dont agree with this then it is not a realistic claim, maybe that was just UNDhockey22.

Let me ask you this UNDhockey22, how many players from last year play either D1 hockey or currently play in the USHL from the state of North Dakota? I would be surprised if the number is greater than 5. Some people are only saying that he should be considered one of the top players in the state, not that he is the best player. The bottom line is only a very few handful of players play beyond highschool. On top of it I doubt anyone in here has seen him play yet, how can you critique a players skills without seeing him play? All some of us want in here is to please think before you post. Yes, you can post whatever it is you want but remember UNDhockey22 your claim that he is bad because he is on a bad team is one of the most unrealistic claims i have personally ever heard in this forum, so maybe the advice you gave to another poster about his unrealistic claim should be considered when you post as well. This is nothing personally, but until you see someone play it is not really possible to critique how good they are, and if you know how to do that you know something that no other scout in the world does.

To answer your question, the 4 Mr. Hockey finalists last year were:

1. Paul Weisgarber, Fargo South--currently playing at Waterloo of USHL

2. Erick Galt, Fargo South---currently playing at North Iowa of NAHL

3. Paul Campbell, Grafton--attending UND. Tried out for FM Jets of NAHL and did not make the team

4. Tyler Jundt, Williston--playing at Green Bay of USHL.

The only other USHL player from last year's class is Andy Dittus of Minot, who is also playing at Green Bay. Mario Lamoureux of Grand Forks and Jordan Willert did not play high school hockey last year, opting to play in the USHL for Tri City. Both have scholarships (Lamoureux to Northern Michigan and Willert to UNO).

The only others that I am aware of that are playing Junior A hockey are Marc Mihulka and Marc Harrie with the FM Jets of the NAHL and Alex Olson from Devils Lake with Bismarck of the NAHL. Grant Larson of Fargo South was playing for the FM Jets, but recently left to attend school at St. Thomas in Minnesota. Adam Campbell of South is playing for Condordia College in Moorhead, Mn.

In reply to UNDhockey 22:

The real question is how do we compare talent across the state. Have you seen Herbel play and compared him to others that are discussed in this tread? My guess is not. I have seen him play but not all of the others from GF and Fargo. I put it out here because most of you think hockey does not exist outside of GF or Fargo. I think there is a place for a west player in this discussion. And if you have not seen him play how can you say he does belong. As far as being selected to elite teams or being recruited here is what I know. Eric Herbel has been on the 88-89 selects with all the GF and Fargo players discussed in this topic. He played AAA midgets last year but came back to ND for his senoir year. I do know the Bobcats are talking with him not sure about various colleges.

"Why is it so difficult for people on this message board to keep their vision from clouding because they are friends with or tied to a certain player or team in this state. If Eric Herbel was in fact as good as any player in the state he would have been recruited to play for high school elite team, scouted by college division one hockey teams and various jr. leagues throughout the Nation. If that is in fact the case, provide such information. But until you can make a claim that is anywhere near credible, please, keep it to yourself."

The only point I was trying to make with the USHL comment was not to start an East vs. West thing but just make the statement that, to be considered one of the best highschool hockey players in ND doesn't mean you'll play at the next level, that is all. ND Hockey is not like Minnesota hockey with top end talent plain and simple. In Minnesota all top-end talent is either in the USHL or playing D1 hockey, in ND by looking at the previous years, that just isn't the case. Out of all the arguments from last years Mr. Hockey, some aren't playin any more, some are playing D3, some are in the NAHL etc. The level of competition out west is not near as great, I will be the first to admit that, but that doesn't mean the level of talent for top end players is less because of that alone.

Let's clear a few things up.

First, there is no question that the East is better than the West in hockey. The East will likely sweep again this year, and the winner of State will almost certainly be South, Red River or Grafton.

Second, although the West TEAMS are not as good--primarily because of depth--there are unquestionably players from the West who are as good as any from the East. We learned that last year with Tyler Jundt. He was a legitimate candidate for Mr. Hockey, and demonstrated that by his showing at the Chicago Showcase and now in the USHL. That has been true in the past as well with players from Minot (Quinn Fylling, Danny Hansen and others) and Bismarck (Mike Peluso, Mitch Vig, Layne Sedevie, James Massen). Although Grand Forks has obviously had the most players who have excelled in the pros and college, Minot and Bismarck have probably had as many or more players than Grafton and Fargo.

I have not seen the Bottineau player that is being discussed, but I don't discount his talent simply because he is from the west or a bad team. Generally, AAU and Michigan Tech are bottom dwellers, but they have had a number of talented players, some of whom have played in the pros after being on poor teams.

If you would search this site for everyone of my posts, rarely, if ever have I said a player is bad. Also, by reading some of those posts I have written you would understand that everything you have said in your previous post are things that I have actually already stated myself, or it would be apparent that there are things I already know. I believe Fargo South and Red River have multiple good players on their team. However, there are good players around the state. Other players I have mentioned in other posts include Michael Hillman, Zach Welding, Kyle Everson, Tanner Bombenger, Tyler Klein, Alex Simonson, Nathan Stremick and maybe others. I believe the best player in the state is probably Danny Wurden. Not because he plays for Fargo South. But because he had a great Elite League campaign, attended National Select festivals, and is recruited by USHL, NAHL, and WCHA teams. I believe the post about Herbel said "I believe Herbel is as good as any player in the state". Not that he should be considered one of the top players in the state (which may be true). You claim that I said Mr. Herbel was bad because he is on a bad team. If you can find in anyone of my posts where I said that you can write me a personal message with your name and address and I will send you $500 cash. I never said Herbel was a bad player. I said it was unrealistic to believe he is an equal player to the best player in the state.

The gap between the USHL and NAHL is narrowing because players in the NAHL are generally older than those in the USHL. The theory there is a stronger maybe more matured NAHL team would be able to keep up with they younger more skilled USHL guys. Is this true? Maybe. The reason for that is I'm going to include NAHL players in the "I would be surprised if the number is greater than 5" statement you made.

Jordan Willert (Tri-City Storm USHL)

Mario Lamoureux (Tri-City Storm USHL)

Paul Weisgarber (Waterloo Blackhawks USHL)

Andy Dittus (Green Bay USHL)

Tyler Jundt (Green Bay USHL)

Grant Larson (FM Jets NAHL)

Marc Mihulka (FM Jets NAHL)

Marc Harrie (FM Jets NAHL)

Alex Olson (Bismarck NAHL)

Parker Metz (Senior in high school, plays before and after with FM Jets NAHL)

That's ten players who played High School hockey in North Dakota last year, or were eligible to play High School hockey in North Dakota but opted to play elsewhere. Surprised?

Next time you want to debate things I did or in this case did not say do some research on things I have actually said in this message board.

This Herbel kid is the real deal!!!!!! UNDHockey22 your comments make me realize you know nothing about HS

hockey in the state of ND. Name me one player who in playing HS hockey beening recruited by an D-1 school

right now. UND22 I willing to place a little wager he will be in jr. hockey before any forward you can come with. He quick, great footwork and the best shot in the state. If he was out east you would claim him a the next great thing. I wish you had a chance to watch this kid skate.

If you would search this site for everyone of my posts, rarely, if ever have I said a player is bad. Also, by reading some of those posts I have written you would understand that everything you have said in your previous post are things that I have actually already stated myself, or it would be apparent that there are things I already know. I believe Fargo South and Red River have multiple good players on their team. However, there are good players around the state. Other players I have mentioned in other posts include Michael Hillman, Zach Welding, Kyle Everson, Tanner Bombenger, Tyler Klein, Alex Simonson, Nathan Stremick and maybe others. I believe the best player in the state is probably Danny Wurden. Not because he plays for Fargo South. But because he had a great Elite League campaign, attended National Select festivals, and is recruited by USHL, NAHL, and WCHA teams. I believe the post about Herbel said "I believe Herbel is as good as any player in the state". Not that he should be considered one of the top players in the state (which may be true). You claim that I said Mr. Herbel was bad because he is on a bad team. If you can find in anyone of my posts where I said that you can write me a personal message with your name and address and I will send you $500 cash. I never said Herbel was a bad player. I said it was unrealistic to believe he is an equal player to the best player in the state.

The gap between the USHL and NAHL is narrowing because players in the NAHL are generally older than those in the USHL. The theory there is a stronger maybe more matured NAHL team would be able to keep up with they younger more skilled USHL guys. Is this true? Maybe. The reason for that is I'm going to include NAHL players in the "I would be surprised if the number is greater than 5" statement you made.

Jordan Willert (Tri-City Storm USHL)

Mario Lamoureux (Tri-City Storm USHL)

Paul Weisgarber (Waterloo Blackhawks USHL)

Andy Dittus (Green Bay USHL)

Tyler Jundt (Green Bay USHL)

Grant Larson (FM Jets NAHL)

Marc Mihulka (FM Jets NAHL)

Marc Harrie (FM Jets NAHL)

Alex Olson (Bismarck NAHL)

Parker Metz (Senior in high school, plays before and after with FM Jets NAHL)

That's ten players who played High School hockey in North Dakota last year, or were eligible to play High School hockey in North Dakota but opted to play elsewhere. Surprised?

Next time you want to debate things I did or in this case did not say do some research on things I have actually said in this message board.

OK, i'll give it to you that you didn't state directly that he was a bad player, although i believe this was your quote ""Until you can make a claim that is anywhere near realistic, please consider keeping it to yourself, that way people won't question your thought process." But when someone says he merely thinks that he should be considered one of the best players in the state, and you saying your quote as stated above, what else does that say. It may not be implying that he is terrible, but it certainly doesn't imply anthing positive. Also I will agree the gap may be closing a bit, but not very much looking at the rosters of the current D1 teams the only big contributer of my Knowledge that is making a splash is the goalie from Maine, who I believed played with the NAHL in texas. So while it may be closing it appears that when recruiting from juniors most college coaches still feel that the USHL is the better of the two leagues. As stated in one of my above posts I said only the USHL or D1, I didn't include NAHL, and as you listed above the number in the USHL or D1 is 5 and no more. And as stated previously he was on a select team and played midgets last year, and is being recruited by the bobcats i believe. This means that he is in the same category skill wise as most of the players last year and even the mr. hockey winner because they will probably all wind up in the same league. I will agree you didn't say he was bad, but just because you didn't say it, doesn't mean that the quote i had from you earlier, doesn't imply it am i right?