SiouxSports.com Forum

Western HS Hockey

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah im sure he would have gotten ran all game if he was playing in the East, haha what a joke. Like the kids that play in the east are tougher than the kids in west. It really doesn't matter whether this happened in the west or the east, either way there is no fighting in the east or the west. Do you really think it would be worth it to go and take Dillon Kraft out, get in a fight and be suspended. NO. These kids only play 20 some games, they certainly don't want to sit out a game or two for taking out Dillon Kraft. He's simply not worth it. If it was junior hockey he certainly wouldn't have pulled what he did because he would have got his head took off. Also there is a certain Colby Rehak who plays for Williston who certainly could have took care of Mr. Kraft if he wanted to, but once again why would Rehak (Williston's best player) want to take himself out of the game and probaly the next few games after that. So basically what im saying here is that the comment posted about how this never would have happened in the east is a complete joke. Rehak is just as tough if not tougher than anyone from the east. Lastly, I played in the west and played with plenty of kids from the east, and the kids from the east aren't any more physical or tougher than kids from the west. If you ask me I would say kids from the west play a rougher style of game than kids from the east.

I know that there will probaly be a bunch of people from the east who will respond to my comment and say the east is more physical and they are so tough but im not buying it. Most the people who post on here probaly never played hockey or else they come on here to brag up their son, so they really don't know what they are talking about anyway.

I am not supporting Dillon Kraft and his celebration after scoring his first goal of the year nor am I supporting fighting in high school hockey. But put yourself into a Williston players shoes for a minute. If this happened to you on your own rink, would you allow someone to do this, let alone a Minot kid? I know that it is smart not to go after him after his stupid celebration, but show some pride in your team and your school. That is what they call "showing someone up." Are you going to let this idiot who scores his first goal of the year carry on like this? If I was a player on the Williston team, I would have went after him while he was carrying on. And if I did not get to him after his goal, I would let him know that he better keep his head up because I was coming. You have to send a message to him that he cannot come into your place and push you around like that. If I was the coach of Williston when this incident occured, I would tell someone to go after him. All your doing is sending a message to your players and the other team that you can't do that and expect to get away with it. Let's use Rylan Kaip for an example. He did what he needed to do last weekend against Alaska-Anchorage and threw down the gloves. They needed to establish to the rest of the league that Ralph Engelstad Arena is the home of the Sioux and they are not to be pushed around in their home rink. I laughed when I heard about this situation for the first time because the first three words I heard were "A Minot Player." This is just typical for a Minot player to do something like this.

I wouldn't have bothered to sit him on the bench. . . .he would have been on his way to the locker room to remove his stuff. Show some class and act like you have been there before! I certainly hope that Burkhard sent some sort of message to the rest of the players, as that kind of thing should NOT be tolerated!!

How can he act like he has been there before when he hasn't lol

I am getting really disappointed with Minot players. I heard that another player was caught with alcohol, so he will be suspended. This is getting ridiculous! :lol: These kids need to have some commonsense! Minot has lost FIVE Varsity players this year! It is starting to make me mad.

One bright thing I can think of is that the JV team has not lost a single player to a suspension. So there might be some hope for the future. (Three of the JV players, including two of the better players, are from Bishop Ryan)

I can't wait for the 2nd of February when Red River takes it to Minot 11-0. I don't care if that Dillon Kraft kid got kicked off the team, one of the older leaders on the team should have said something to him before he did that. That is just classless, the Riders will show them how hockey is supposed to be played.

I can't wait for the 2nd of February when Red River takes it to Minot 11-0. I don't care if that Dillon Kraft kid got kicked off the team, one of the older leaders on the team should have said something to him before he did that. That is just classless, the Riders will show them how hockey is supposed to be played.

Well theoretically most of the knotheads should be off the team by now.

In all honesty I do not think the game will be that big of a blowout. Minot takes care of their defensive zone pretty well. But who knows, Red River just might have to much offensive power.

Minot plays Grafton the night after Red River...

Well theoretically most of the knotheads should be off the team by now.

In all honesty I do not think the game will be that big of a blowout. Minot takes care of their defensive zone pretty well. But who knows, Red River just might have to much offensive power.

Minot plays Grafton the night after Red River...

What do you mean it won't be a blowout. Red River is clearly the best team in the state and they would probably compete in the state of Minnesota. You don't know how good RR is until you actually watch them play. They have 3 very good lines and 3 very good Defensive pairings and probably one of the best goalie in the state in Arnason. When he said that he thinks that Red River is going to beat Minot 11-0 he was being nice.

What do you mean it won't be a blowout. Red River is clearly the best team in the state and they would probably compete in the state of Minnesota. You don't know how good RR is until you actually watch them play. They have 3 very good lines and 3 very good Defensive pairings and probably one of the best goalie in the state in Arnason. When he said that he thinks that Red River is going to beat Minot 11-0 he was being nice.

In some respects you are very right. Red River is clearly playing the best hockey in the state of North Dakota. The play as a team. Fargo South may or may not have more players with individual talent, but in the end where does that get them? It gets you a 8-0 trouncing and maybe, just maybe it deflates a little of the air that fills some of their players heads. I guess Red River felt it was South's turn to be on the opposite end of a blowout that they were used to giving teams this and last years (minus the classless taunting, most likely).

However, I think deep down we all know Red River is not 8 goals better than Fargo South. If that were the truth then Red River would beat most (if not all) teams in Minnesota. But, if South continues playing like individuals it is going to be a rough final stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

Red River has the classiest and most humble fans in the world. ;) The thought of being around all those A holes again makes me very glad I got away from GF.

I am pretty sure Kraft will not be going to state this year. And I would not count on Minot winning Consolation; I think they have a good shot at winning their first game.

The only way they have a shot at winning their first round game is if they get the #1 seed and Devils Lake or North is not the #4 seed (thinking that RR, South, and GPR are the top 3 seeds).

The only way they have a shot at winning their first round game is if they get the #1 seed and Devils Lake or North is not the #4 seed (thinking that RR, South, and GPR are the top 3 seeds).

I agree, they would need to win the west and hope someone like Shanley sneeks in the 4th seed from east. They wouldn't beat North, Central, DL, but maybe West Fargo.

Definately not RR, South, nor Grafton-Park River

I agree, they would need to win the west and hope someone like Shanley sneeks in the 4th seed from east. They wouldn't beat North, Central, DL, but maybe West Fargo.

Definately not RR, South, nor Grafton-Park River

Minot will not make it past the first round this year for one reason and one reason only they cant break tradition they always have a good year and get their hopes up but when state comes around they play teams from the east who are just much better and Minot finds themself playing for consolation after the first game on thursday

Minot will not make it past the first round this year for one reason and one reason only they cant break tradition they always have a good year and get their hopes up but when state comes around they play teams from the east who are just much better and Minot finds themself playing for consolation after the first game on thursday

Minot has choked at state, that's true. It is unfair though, and shows a typical east tool bias, to say that the east teams have been "better." The 2005 team comes to mind as a good example as does the 1998 team with Quinn Fylling, John Grubb and Brian Haaland. During the years, they have beaten the east and some Minnesota teams during the regular season and then tanked at state. Maybe the east tools have never heard of the Boston Red Sox or the Chicago Cubs or the 1998 Minnesota Vikings or the Chicago White Sox, etc. The franchises described have all had teams that could have and should have won it all but consistently choked for many, many years.....until recently for some. Whether it's a mind set or coaching or some nebulous intangible, it's a fact that they've bombed at state. It has not been because the Minot teams have not been as good as the east. Last year and this year that may be true but in most years it is not true and it's been that way since Blais was in Minot. In high school our very average, Jeff Bredahl-less, Tim McIver-less, 1982 MHS team beat GFRR pretty soundly to the "shock" of the east. In high school in 1985, our MHS squad beat a Mike LaMoine-led GFRR squad at state. The point is that the west has had good teams. I think Minot needs to get a Bruce Olson/Dean Blais type of coach and Bismarck needs to get a Peluso-like coach back and Jamestown needs to get a Jim Barger-type coach back. Some of the Minot players these days sound like retards but I sure hope the ones remaining on the team read this site for motivation.

Minot has had some several defections up to the SJHL too such as Ben Keup, Chris Cartier, Brian Ferguson and others. Samson used to complain about that all the time.

Minot has choked at state, that's true. It is unfair though, and shows a typical east tool bias, to say that the east teams have been "better." The 2005 team comes to mind as a good example as does the 1998 team with Quinn Fylling, John Grubb and Brian Haaland. During the years, they have beaten the east and some Minnesota teams during the regular season and then tanked at state. Maybe the east tools have never heard of the Boston Red Sox or the Chicago Cubs or the 1998 Minnesota Vikings or the Chicago White Sox, etc. The franchises described have all had teams that could have and should have won it all but consistently choked for many, many years.....until recently for some. Whether it's a mind set or coaching or some nebulous intangible, it's a fact that they've bombed at state. It has not been because the Minot teams have not been as good as the east. Last year and this year that may be true but in most years it is not true and it's been that way since Blais was in Minot. In high school our very average, Jeff Bredahl-less, Tim McIver-less, 1982 MHS team beat GFRR pretty soundly to the "shock" of the east. In high school in 1985, our MHS squad beat a Mike LaMoine-led GFRR squad at state. The point is that the west has had good teams. I think Minot needs to get a Bruce Olson/Dean Blais type of coach and Bismarck needs to get a Peluso-like coach back and Jamestown needs to get a Jim Barger-type coach back. Some of the Minot players these days sound like retards but I sure hope the ones remaining on the team read this site for motivation.

Minot has had some several defections up to the SJHL too such as Ben Keup, Chris Cartier, Brian Ferguson and others. Samson used to complain about that all the time.

A nice write up on the subject. Minot tanks at State. Pure and simple. For whatever reason. I hope them having a new coach will help eliminate some of the apparent mental issues.

Great post Chewey. You mean Josh Cartier though! :)

I'm one on the side of the whole "mental" problem. Last year Minot gets a new coach, a guy who has won a lot, and they still end up losing their first round game. That team in 2005 might have been the best Minot team ever, yet they just had that mental block in the first game of state, and cost them a state championship that I think they could have won. With every year that goes by it seems like more and more of a curse starting to form. It seems like Minot gets no bounces, and every single time that the team they're playing gets a chance, they score.

Its funny to me how the easterners always bring up Minot's success at state. Its almost like gopher fans talking about the "back to back championships". Minot has never or will never be a hockey town IMHO. I bet half the people in Minot don't realize there is a high school hockey team. Pretty amusing actually! :lol:

Should be some fun games this weekend. But I guess I shouldn't go to the Red River one, because that will be 11-0. :)

Great post Chewey. You mean Josh Cartier though! :)

I'm one on the side of the whole "mental" problem. Last year Minot gets a new coach, a guy who has won a lot, and they still end up losing their first round game. That team in 2005 might have been the best Minot team ever, yet they just had that mental block in the first game of state, and cost them a state championship that I think they could have won. With every year that goes by it seems like more and more of a curse starting to form. It seems like Minot gets no bounces, and every single time that the team they're playing gets a chance, they score.

Its funny to me how the easterners always bring up Minot's success at state. Its almost like gopher fans talking about the "back to back championships". Minot has never or will never be a hockey town IMHO. I bet half the people in Minot don't realize there is a high school hockey team. Pretty amusing actually! :lol:

Should be some fun games this weekend. But I guess I shouldn't go to the Red River one, because that will be 11-0. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Wilbur. I forgot that Cartier's first name was Josh. Did he ever play D-I anywhere? I know that he played for Notre Dame in Wilcox and I think he played while Ben Keup was there but he may have been after. I agree with you. I don't know what happens but the kids just seem to lose focus or something. Back when I played, Minot was considered the hockey town of the West and GF was considered the hockey town of the East. Minot had the Minot raiders and the Minot Americans. I think the whole scandal involving the Americans' predecessor, the Minot ?????, soured a lot of people and that attitude passed down to being sour towards the H.S. team too. A lot of people invested in that junior team and the owner took the money and left. I don't think he was ever apprehended. Lee Goren and a few other UND players came from the Minot Americans program. When I played, I think hockey was as popular as basketball and a lot more popular than wrestling. I think Minot likes basketball more now and I don't think that the antics of some hockey players past and present have helped alleviate the sour attitude that many may have against hockey. It's too bad. Minot and the west generally have had some great players like Jeff Bredahl, Tim McIver, the Zimmerman brothers, Matt Morrelli, Bliss Littler, Jarrod Olson, Danny Hanson, PHilion, Mike Hanson, Brian Haaland, John Grubb, Quinn Fylling, Jim Kropp (jamestown -- I am not as familiar with that program but I know they've had others go D-1), Mitch Vig, MIke Peluso, Jeremy Asheim, Justin Theel (Bismarck -- and I know they've had others too) etc so I don't know where the east gets off saying that the west teams are bad when those same teams have had a lot of talent throughout the years. Let's hope Minot can get motivated and upset GFRR and maybe do something at state this year.