SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

I agree that this has been discussed to death but here is my two cents (or maybe less) - I think it only is a benefit to the competiveness of North Dakota hockey when we see the likes of South and Grafton and others competing head to head with the GF schools and holding their own. I grew up in GF and played hockey in GF and probably biased towards the GF program but more importantly I want to see growth within the hockey in ND and I think that is exactly what we are seeing.

I think it is great that a team from ND can play to the level of a top Minnesota team. In fact, didn't South beat Moorhead last year? So the question I ask rather than belittle each others programs, should we not be enthusiastic of the progress ND hockey is making. I no longer live in ND but from my perspective we have closed the gap bertween the ND and Minnesota quality gap. Considering that Minesota arguably is the best state for high school hockey, I believe that is quite the accomplishment.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why some people are so sensitive about this subject. Is it really that much of a sore spot to the people of GF to see hockey programs in other towns having success?

Somebody states that South better enjoy their current run while it lasts before the 3rd public high school opens up in a few years, I counter that the 3rd high school taking away half of South's roster could potentially help GF regain it's status as a hockey dynasty... and some people appear to have hurt feelings over it. Way way too sensitive. I'm sorry that you guys are no longer winning 87% of the state titles, it must be horrible. :blush:

Lighten up. What good is a rivalry without a little trash talk back and forth?

I'm not at all sensitve about it, I just get annoyed because this is all you ever talk about. It's fine if you talk about it, but you're just beating the argument into the ground.

That's a fair comment, but keep in mind that I had not touched the subject in quite some time up until responding to the comment suggesting that South had better enjoy their run now while it lasts because it'll be over when the 3rd public high school opens up.

I'm not too sure if the 3rd High School could actually support a hockey team as it stands. From what I know they're building it way out in the boondocks, far from any rinks, and I don't know of any plans to build a new one. Anyone know if they've released any information on how the athletics will be dealt with when the time comes?

Now I know I posted this question on the other page called (upcoming players) but I thought I might get some more responses on this page. Is their any upcoming suspected varsity players (yes boys) that either played jv or bantams last year that I probably don't know about that could make any major contributions to their team's success this year?

Let's talk about the upcoming season. who has alot of starters coming back and top scorers from last year ? I think the top teams had alot of seniors, but who has most coming back?

Devils Lake will have 10 returners or so who got good ice time last year, 6 or 7 of them being Juniors this upcoming season. They only graduated 4 seniors, and still have their top goalie. Their first line lost a center and their second line lost a right wing, and their Defense took a hit losing two good D, one of which is Alex Olson who made the Bobcats last weekend. 6 of their top 10 scorers are coming back this year.

Devils Lake will have 10 returners or so who got good ice time last year, 6 or 7 of them being Juniors this upcoming season. They only graduated 4 seniors, and still have their top goalie. Their first line lost a center and their second line lost a right wing, and their Defense took a hit losing two good D, one of which is Alex Olson who made the Bobcats last weekend. 6 of their top 10 scorers are coming back this year.

I would have to take Red Rivers junior class over Devils lakes. They have proven themselves to be some of the top players in the state. South has a large number of talented players returning this year, that, with the addition of McBain, should definitely make them one of the favorites again this year. Ummm as far as up and coming bantams i know grafton has a couple that will make an impact, some central sophomores and freshmen should make it due to lack of talent.

Ladeuceur= Overrated, Galbreath= Legit, Wurden= Underrated

I understand that ur trying to get wurden some recognition and by all means he deserves it. But to say ladouceur is underrated is a joke...Galbreath gets more attention being he played as a freshmen but ladouceur has quickly caught up to him and has just as much if not more potential than galbreath...and "knowsall"...all u do is brag these two up, u want me to try and get u their phone numbers...

looking at gillands website fargo south has 5 players back that scored at least 20 points not including the transfer from hazen, so they should have pretty good firepower along with the returning goaltender

I'd expect South to have the best first and second lines in the state this year. The Power Mcdougal Doeden line could put up some serious numbers this year but will have to work on their defensive play. Anderson Hills and Miller should also put up pretty good numbers for grafton. I expect the weaknesses for South and Grafton to be their defensemen. While South only returns one defensemen with significant varsity playing time, Grafton returns four who haven't had a whole lot of success at the varsity level. As for red river after Meland Ladeuceur and Galbreath there is a severe dropoff in talent and i dont seem them having very much depth.

I'd expect South to have the best first and second lines in the state this year. The Power Mcdougal Doeden line could put up some serious numbers this year but will have to work on their defensive play. Anderson Hills and Miller should also put up pretty good numbers for grafton. I expect the weaknesses for South and Grafton to be their defensemen. While South only returns one defensemen with significant varsity playing time, Grafton returns four who haven't had a whole lot of success at the varsity level. As for red river after Meland Ladeuceur and Galbreath there is a severe dropoff in talent and i dont seem them having very much depth.

However, the other defense include players having played varsity in the past. Anderson, Metz, and maybe one more have recieved significant playing time and proven themselves able to play. What I would be worried about with be their backchecking forwads playing strong D, not so much the defense themselves. I agree with your other points about a lack of depth for Grafton and Red River, any idea who is playing goalie for each team?

metz i believe will be playing for the fm jets this year, just a chip in the armor for a very deep south team. the hill anderson miller line will hopefully be reunited this year and make for some fun hockey to watch. red rivers depth at forward will hurt them, meland will need somebody to play with, he had one of the best players in the state feeding him last year (mihulka).

metz i believe will be playing for the fm jets this year, just a chip in the armor for a very deep south team. the hill anderson miller line will hopefully be reunited this year and make for some fun hockey to watch. red rivers depth at forward will hurt them, meland will need somebody to play with, he had one of the best players in the state feeding him last year (mihulka).

I think the best d-man in the state will probably be Ryan Ladeucer (sp?). However West Fargo has a very capable d-man aswell in Tyler Swanson. Best forward in my mind is a toss-up. We'll see who shows up to play.

However, the other defense include players having played varsity in the past. Anderson, Metz, and maybe one more have recieved significant playing time and proven themselves able to play. What I would be worried about with be their backchecking forwads playing strong D, not so much the defense themselves. I agree with your other points about a lack of depth for Grafton and Red River, any idea who is playing goalie for each team?

I agree that the defensive play of Souths forwards will be a huge determining factor in how successful they are this year. As for metz i am 90% sure he'll be playing for South this year, after only playing a few games of varsity during his sophomore year and then playin midget minor in omaha it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the high school game. Anderson did play varsity for Shanley and West Fargo as a freshman and sophomore but saw very limited varsity ice time for South and when he did play he made too many costly turnovers. As for Red River i would expect Pat Arnaeson to start in the net. I've seen him play a few times on select teams and looked solid. I dont see Meland putting up the same sorts of numbers he did last year to due to lack of support. Red River will need some forwards to step up if they expect to compete with the offensive depth of Grafton and South.

I agree that the defensive play of Souths forwards will be a huge determining factor in how successful they are this year. As for metz i am 90% sure he'll be playing for South this year, after only playing a few games of varsity during his sophomore year and then playin midget minor in omaha it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the high school game. Anderson did play varsity for Shanley and West Fargo as a freshman and sophomore but saw very limited varsity ice time for South and when he did play he made too many costly turnovers. As for Red River i would expect Pat Arnaeson to start in the net. I've seen him play a few times on select teams and looked solid. I dont see Meland putting up the same sorts of numbers he did last year to due to lack of support. Red River will need some forwards to step up if they expect to compete with the offensive depth of Grafton and South.

Red River will have an outstanding power play with Galbraith, Ladoucer, Meland, and Vigen. I think Meland will get his share of points. If your going to post about individual high school players try to be positive, the South defensemen mentioned above and a couple of guys from North took more than their share of abuse on this site last year.

I do not recall that particular defenseman being hammered on last year, the north player who was did bring it on himself with a little to much self promotion on this site.

I don"t understand why everybody is talking about souths backchecking, why is there concern? from what I saw last year the players coming back will do just fine along with the players coming up who are hard workers.

I take it that the West will be weak again? Is there any reason to believe that any team out there will get anywhere at state? Any talented players out there returning? Why was Jamestown moved back to the West region and DL moved to the East? I questioned the decision to move Jamestown to the East initially as I thought it did not make sense. DL makes more sense geographically but it has always been in the west and I'm sorry to see it go. It used to be that Jamestown had a pretty strong program and that DL did not really have a strong program. At that time, Jamestown was moved to the east. Now that Jamestown is down and DL is fairly good, DL is moved to the east. Is there some kind of issue here where the east is gerrymandering to get the better team? Maybe I've watched too many Oliver Stone movies?

I take it that the West will be weak again? Is there any reason to believe that any team out there will get anywhere at state? Any talented players out there returning? Why was Jamestown moved back to the West region and DL moved to the East? I questioned the decision to move Jamestown to the East initially as I thought it did not make sense. DL makes more sense geographically but it has always been in the west and I'm sorry to see it go. It used to be that Jamestown had a pretty strong program and that DL did not really have a strong program. At that time, Jamestown was moved to the east. Now that Jamestown is down and DL is fairly good, DL is moved to the east. Is there some kind of issue here where the east is gerrymandering to get the better team? Maybe I've watched too many Oliver Stone movies?

I don't see it so much as gerrymandering, but trying to develop a program. Yes, Jamestown has beaten good teams, but they're inconsistent and with their location can be moved around to give them a better atmosphere to develop. Where as Devils Lake is young and a strong team now, with the location to allow them to play in the East and develop their program further.

Jamestown's move has nothing to do with their quality of play. Hockey was the only sport where the Blue Jays were in the EDC and the Firebirds in the WDA. To say that Jamestown being in the West is a better fit geographically is a joke. I'm sure they will love their trips to Williston, Hazen, Minot, and Bottineau. Their closest road game is still an hour and 15 mins away with a good bus driver and a headwind to Bismarck. I think they would much rather be in the East for travel reasons.