SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

HockeyMom

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have much expectations for the team against UMD, but I was hoping that we'd at least score a goal per game! :)

UMD made us look like the men's AIC team :lol:

If the UND MEN'S hockey team faced an opponent who had the Olympic silver-medalist goaltender - as the backup goalie! - they would have trouble scoring too.

I do hope to see this year's Sioux women be competitive vs teams like Mankato.

If the UND MEN'S hockey team faced an opponent who had the Olympic silver-medalist goaltender - as the backup goalie! - they would have trouble scoring too.

I do hope to see this year's Sioux women be competitive vs teams like Mankato.

You would be right if we hadn't been embarrassingly out shot by all the real teams we have played.

I would say our goal tending was the only thing kicking some butt!

UMD is a women's hockey dynasty. They won the first three NCAA Championships in 2001, 2002, and 2003. That helps tremendously when you are recruiting the best players in the US and Canada to come to your school.

That being said, your Fighting Sioux beat them in the final meeting between the two school last year. Now let's move onto the Mankato game........

Go Sioux!

Watched the Mavericks last weekend. This is the quickest MSU team that has ever taken the ice. Also a very solid tender in Kehler. Going to be a real challenge for the Sioux.

A minor point, I am familiar with the UMD program and history. Enough to say that historically, they don't really concentrate their recruiting efforts on the top US talent.

Watched the Mavericks last weekend. This is the quickest MSU team that has ever taken the ice. Also a very solid tender in Kehler. Going to be a real challenge for the Sioux.

A minor point, I am familiar with the UMD program and history. Enough to say that historically, they don't really concentrate their recruiting efforts on the top US talent.

I agree, Mankato will be a tough test, as they got some high level recruits from Minnesota to blend with their upper-classmen. How about the fighting sioux Freshman class though? Best class to come in yet. Anybody know of any top-level early comittments for 07-08?

UMD is a women's hockey dynasty. They won the first three NCAA Championships in 2001, 2002, and 2003. That helps tremendously when you are recruiting the best players in the US and Canada to come to your school.

That being said, your Fighting Sioux beat them in the final meeting between the two school last year. Now let's move onto the Mankato game........

Go Sioux!

Rivard was out of town all week before those games.

the assistants ran all the practices that whole week

the girls wanted to win for them.

it was awesome

We just can't get the big players because of rivard

I guess she ran some Lake Placid camp and I guess the bigest joke there

was her practices and coaching.

big suprise there

I really believe that MSU should be our easiest team to beat in our league.

ST. Cloud is having some problems getting off but the new coaching should be a boost.

Bemidji has shown a good turn around so far with their new coach.

MSU is our shot this year to get some league wins!

I really believe that MSU should be our easiest team to beat in our league.

ST. Cloud is having some problems getting off but the new coaching should be a boost.

Bemidji has shown a good turn around so far with their new coach.

MSU is our shot this year to get some league wins!

Merely my opinion, but I wouldn't count on any easy wins in the WCHA this season. If MSU stays healthy, they will battle SCSU and OSU for 4th in the WCHA I think. The Mavericks are easily talented enough to do so. BSU won't be a pushover for anyone either. You're correct about the new coach being a factor in that...great coach.

Merely my opinion, but I wouldn't count on any easy wins in the WCHA this season. If MSU stays healthy, they will battle SCSU and OSU for 4th in the WCHA I think. The Mavericks are easily talented enough to do so. BSU won't be a pushover for anyone either. You're correct about the new coach being a factor in that...great coach.

Comparing the 2 losses by both teams to UMD Minnesota was outshot 80-53 and Kehler gave up 9 goals. They were able to score twice on UMD.

UND was outshot 72-35 and Kirkham gave up 9 as well. Obviously MSU was able to generate more offense than UND against a speedy Duluth team. Against UMD the Sioux had trouble getting the puck out of their end while enoying power play's I agree Kehler is a fine goalie who has faced top competition her 1st few games out. I am thinking that MSU will have a slight edge offensively and would expect that it will come down to # of penalties and goaltending. I do think the games will be close. I would be suprised if they are high scoring.

Are you referring to the 7-0 loss that the Sioux suffered this afternoon at the hands of Mankato?

Yes. I certainly did not expect that. I haven't looked at stats like SOG. Kehler can do this. I've seen her withstand 50 shot salvos including many quality chances in the past. Can't really believe the margin tho. A guess would be we don't see anything like that tomorrow.