SiouxSports.com Forum

ND high school football

extremerouge

I would love to see this Fargo South team play the West Fargo team from a couple of years ago that had Roehl (believe he plays for the Bison now), that absolutely destroyed Minot in the championship and every other team they played that season. :blush:

Redwing, I don't see a team getting within ten points of South..... :lol:

We'll have to see what becomes of the current group of South seniors, but other than Roehl, I don't think anybody from that West Fargo team has gone on to play college football at a level higher than perhaps the DAC (and I don't know if any are playing there). I think this South team is quite a bit better than any West Fargo teams since the days of Ross Brennan. The WF team when Ross Brennan and Caleb Johnson were seniors was very, very good, however.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minot High beat Bismarck 42- 20 tonight. It was a convincing victory. Also, last I heard, Minot Ryan was up on Hazen.

Minot did dominate the first half, and won easily although I thought they came out a little flat in the second half. A lot of people talk about the athletes of South, but Minot has a running back by the name of Schatz that is a pretty good football player. When the kid got in open space he was gone.... :blush:

It also helped that Minot got Hendrickson back. That kid is just an animal on the football field. If by chance Minot makes the title game, I think it would be a whole lot closer game with South than 40-0. Maybe a 21-10 loss or something like that.... :lol:

In reference to South and the 1990 team ranked in the top 25, just last week South was rated at number 9 on maxpreps.com. They've fallen off the national rankings recently, but I'd assume that's becuase of game scheduling.

Archive that poll and look at the current one they have I think a few things will jump out at you that may have been over looked. No offense to ND football but FSN has some Cali HS football games and it would get VERY UGLY VERY FAST. OAK Christian the #8 team in the country has a QB going to Notre Dame RB going to USC 3 other D players already signed to D1 and almost all starters will be playing Big time college football. There opponents who are unranked had a RB going to UCLA and many players playing big time college football. This poster was bafled after hearing a North Dakota high school football team was ninth in the nation after seeing these teams and others on FSN from various other states. Its good to have pride but lets be realistic.

Looks like there were a lot of good games, including:

South over RR 48-14

Devils Lake-North Dakota School for the Deaf 13, Fargo Shanley 0

Griggs County Central-Finley-Sharon-Midkota 34, Thompson 14

Harvey 65, Garrison-Max 6

Hillsboro 50, Hope-Page 14

Jamestown 27, Bismarck Century 20

Milnor-North Sargent 20, Richland 0

New Rockford-Sheyenne 20, Langdon-Munich 19

North Central Benson 34, Maddock 22

Northwood-Hatton 26, Valley City 6

Park River 27, Cavalier 20

Rugby 40, Fargo Oak Grove Lutheran-Park Christian 10

Velva 27, Des Lacs-Burlington 0

Watford City 42, Bottineau 6

Wells County 32, Tri-County 12

West Fargo 42, Grand Forks Central 12

Williston 20, Dickinson 6

Archive that poll and look at the current one they have I think a few things will jump out at you that may have been over looked. No offense to ND football but FSN has some Cali HS football games and it would get VERY UGLY VERY FAST. OAK Christian the #8 team in the country has a QB going to Notre Dame RB going to USC 3 other D players already signed to D1 and almost all starters will be playing Big time college football. There opponents who are unranked had a RB going to UCLA and many players playing big time college football. This poster was bafled after hearing a North Dakota high school football team was ninth in the nation after seeing these teams and others on FSN from various other states. Its good to have pride but lets be realistic.

I think what you are seeing on TV is the best of the best programs, which are very good and have tons of talent. I live in TX and the speed and skill positions that almost every team has is really amazing. That said most of the teams are sloppy, especially considering they have athletics classes and spring football which means they play football all year long. If you put a good ND team in TX, they would get absolutely handled by the elite teams, but I think they would fair very well against the average TX high school football team. The funny thing about it is that the best teams in TX aren't typically the teams with all the D1 recruits. Katy High School and Southlake Carrol are both great programs and win every year. Southlake has only lost 1 game in 3 years and they might have a couple D1 guys playing for them, but they crush teams with far more talent. North Dakota teams tend to be more disciplined than most of the TX teams I watch each week, if they had as much time to work on football as the TX schools, I can't imagine how good they could be. When I first moved to TX, Aldine Eisenhower High School had 21 players sign d1 national letters of intent. Katy High school beat them by 30 in the playoffs that season, less speed, less talent, only one kid gettting a D1 offer and they whipped them. The speed would be the biggest problem for the ND schools, but I think up front on the offensive line the average ND school might actually be a little better than most TX schools.

I think what you are seeing on TV is the best of the best programs, which are very good and have tons of talent. I live in TX and the speed and skill positions that almost every team has is really amazing. That said most of the teams are sloppy, especially considering they have athletics classes and spring football which means they play football all year long. If you put a good ND team in TX, they would get absolutely handled by the elite teams, but I think they would fair very well against the average TX high school football team. The funny thing about it is that the best teams in TX aren't typically the teams with all the D1 recruits. Katy High School and Southlake Carrol are both great programs and win every year. Southlake has only lost 1 game in 3 years and they might have a couple D1 guys playing for them, but they crush teams with far more talent. North Dakota teams tend to be more disciplined than most of the TX teams I watch each week, if they had as much time to work on football as the TX schools, I can't imagine how good they could be. When I first moved to TX, Aldine Eisenhower High School had 21 players sign d1 national letters of intent. Katy High school beat them by 30 in the playoffs that season, less speed, less talent, only one kid gettting a D1 offer and they whipped them. The speed would be the biggest problem for the ND schools, but I think up front on the offensive line the average ND school might actually be a little better than most TX schools.

Are you saying the best ND school would fair well against the average teams, or that an average ND school would fair well against an average TX school? Not to put ND down but, I find that very hard to believe.

Are you saying the best ND school would fair well against the average teams, or that an average ND school would fair well against an average TX school? Not to put ND down but, I find that very hard to believe.

In the district I work in, I think a typical Minot High Team which is usually pretty good. would be in the top 3 almost every year in the district I work in, but it is a weaker 5A district in TX. Part of the problem would be adjusting to the better team speed. Even though most of the teams are better athletically than what you would find in ND, most ND teams don't turn they ball over 7 or 8 times a game and kill every other drive with penalties. Most of the teams I see every week tend to have these problems and almost never get them corrected for any length of time during the season. That is why I think ND teams would fair better than most think, because the though typically not as athletic they tend to play the game better as a team and make fewer mistakes.

In the district I work in, I think a typical Minot High Team which is usually pretty good. would be in the top 3 almost every year in the district I work in, but it is a weaker 5A district in TX. Part of the problem would be adjusting to the better team speed. Even though most of the teams are better athletically than what you would find in ND, most ND teams don't turn they ball over 7 or 8 times a game and kill every other drive with penalties. Most of the teams I see every week tend to have these problems and almost never get them corrected for any length of time during the season. That is why I think ND teams would fair better than most think, because the though typically not as athletic they tend to play the game better as a team and make fewer mistakes.

The point I was trying to make is that, I don't know how a ND high school football team could ever be ranked in a national poll. I have seen countless cali and flordia teams that would have a decent chance at triple digits on a average ND team. These are teams with big time players... Ive also seen countless teams on FSN or other channels with almost 10 players signed to Big time D1 programs already. And im not even scrapping the surface you have TX, OK, Neb, MI, ALA, Miss, VI, PENN, GA. I hate to knock ND sports but I just haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe they would be able to compete with the top 5 programs in these states. These are teams that just have too many big time players, with more size and speed then ND kids have ever seen. FSN has shown the St. Bonaventure and Oak christian game a few times. It is just a different game down there. Both of those teams are extremely solid.

The point I was trying to make is that, I don't know how a ND high school football team could ever be ranked in a national poll. I have seen countless cali and flordia teams that would have a decent chance at triple digits on a average ND team. These are teams with big time players... Ive also seen countless teams on FSN or other channels with almost 10 players signed to Big time D1 programs already. And im not even scrapping the surface you have TX, OK, Neb, MI, ALA, Miss, VI, PENN, GA. I hate to knock ND sports but I just haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe they would be able to compete with the top 5 programs in these states. These are teams that just have too many big time players, with more size and speed then ND kids have ever seen. FSN has shown the St. Bonaventure and Oak christian game a few times. It is just a different game down there. Both of those teams are extremely solid.

I agree, as far as ranking are concerned. I reality all national rankings for high school teams are meaningless.

did anyone catch the west fargo south game?

Most.

West Fargo beat themselves by not reestablishing late first-half momentum with their opening drive of the second half. (They'd scored the last 10 points of the half to make a 14-10 halftime game.)

Instead, West Fargo stalls at mid-field and then the punter droped the snap on an attempted punt on 4th and 2. South got the short field, and went up 21-10. Game. (Yeah, early to call it, but that's what it was.)

Most.

West Fargo beat themselves by not reestablishing late first-half momentum with their opening drive of the second half. (They'd scored the last 10 points of the half to make a 14-10 halftime game.)

Instead, West Fargo stalls at mid-field and then the punter droped the snap on an attempted punt on 4th and 2. South got the short field, and went up 21-10. Game. (Yeah, early to call it, but that's what it was.)

I caught WF's 10 points but then had to attend to other things. They were certainly making noise against the South D. It made me think that there are definitely ways you can beat the South team.

Other scores I picked up

Minot over Century 32-7

Bismarck beat St. Mary's yesterday like 26-7

North over Central 7-6

Mandan over Dickinson 22-0

With the win Minot wins the West Region and will be at home for the Quarterfinals of the state tournament. Hopefully they haven't peaked too early, and will be ready to play come the postseason.

Come on Redwing...South WILL BE in the title game.... :silly:

anybody know how many thousand yard rushers and passers there are in the state this season.

I don't think there are too many 1000 yard rushers out there this year, a lot of teams are sharing the ball to multiple backs at least in the EDC. Solum from South may be close, but he also has been sharing the ball with Horner and Larsen. One of the Wahpeton backs is close I believe as well. Central's back had a good start, but he's struggled with South, West, and North. WF's back Swanson cooked us earlier in the year so he may also have a shot. As for qb's, North's QB was efficient earlier in the year, Larsen may be up there as well. Gibson in WF has surprisingly not thrown for more in his 2nd year at the position. Other than that I don't see any other slingers over 1000.

I don't think there are too many 1000 yard rushers out there this year, a lot of teams are sharing the ball to multiple backs at least in the EDC. Solum from South may be close, but he also has been sharing the ball with Horner and Larsen. One of the Wahpeton backs is close I believe as well. Central's back had a good start, but he's struggled with South, West, and North. WF's back Swanson cooked us earlier in the year so he may also have a shot. As for qb's, North's QB was efficient earlier in the year, Larsen may be up there as well. Gibson in WF has surprisingly not thrown for more in his 2nd year at the position. Other than that I don't see any other slingers over 1000.

I believe Gowan from Central is over 1000 now. He had two 200-plus yard games, plus over 100 several other times (including West Fargo and North).