SiouxSports.com Forum

Is there a smack double-standard?

Bison Dan

My problem is that I don't know which IowaBison to believe. Is it the the one who made the hypocritical "double standard" accusation or the one who made the disingenuous Larry the Cable Guy apology? headscratch.gifshrug.gif

My encounters with IowaBison on this forum have left me with the same 'problem'. Comes into a thread all nice/polite, throws in a few zingers and then follows up with the 'aw shucks, I didn't mean it, I'm sorry' post.

I'm one poster, one personality.

I think that many fans get thrown for a loop when a fan from a rival team agrees with them or apologizes for making an error.

I don't throw around apologies. I am sincere in my apology for posting smack earlier to day. Take it for what it's worth.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit that there is somewhat unfair atmosphere in every message board setting. Insomuch that, varying upon the moderator's demeanor, the main patron's rights are broader than the visiting patron's rights.
Though that's undoubtedly true here, it's not the goal. What I think actually happens is that I unconsciously develop a "signal-to-noise" ratio for frequent posters. Someone who makes 100 good posts might get away with a useless smacky post, whereas a person who only makes useless smacky posts will be warned or suspended. While a guy like PCM can, as expected, sneak in a bad post; so can a guy like Tony or IowaBison. Getting away with some smack is not about if you're pro-Sioux or not, it's about if you're generally here to participate in legitimate discussions or ONLY come here to cause trouble.

On the original topic, these two scenarios are very different in my mind:

Fan of team X notes high tickets sales, fan of team Y taunts with the level of ticket promotions needed to achieve that

Fan of team X wonders when his tickets will arrive, fan of team Y taunts team X's "low" ticket sales

While both responses are somewhat meant as digs, the former is on topic, the latter not.

So wait, this is a Sioux message board and you are complaining about there perhaps being a double standard against Bison fans? Pardon my French, but no sh^t Sherlock. What do you expect? A basket of those fancy soaps that your mom put in the bathroom & you weren't allowed to use and a "Please make fun of us Sioux Fans and punch our grandmas in the face" banner? If I go to bisonville or GopherPuckLive, I certainly don't expect to be given the same leeway that Bison or Gopher fans are given.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why don't you all grow up and drop the crap. This irrational UND/NDSU crap is a black eye to both Universities and to the State of North Dakota. Its pathetic to see this crap on both Bisonville and Siouxsports. If you want to talk and act like 13 year old boys, why don't you go back to your middle school playground and only come back here once you've matured. Its pathetic.

This irrational UND/NDSU crap is a black eye to both Universities and to the State of North Dakota. Its pathetic to see this crap on both Bisonville and Siouxsports. If you want to talk and act like 13 year old boys, why don't you go back to your middle school playground and only come back here once you've matured. Its pathetic.
I'm not sure why this thread was dredged back up, but I'm happy to respond. I agree with you. That's really what this thread is about, isn't it? If you start on page 1, the problem was that a Bison fan jumped into a random thread about UND and tried to start turning it into UND vs. NDSU smack. We stopped it and Bison fans got upset that we intervened too quickly to stop the smack, claiming that we wouldn't have done the same if it had gone the other way. I remain unapologetic for cutting any trolling off at the source, and complaints that I shouldn't because some other smack managed to survive longer is specious at best.

The primary topic of this board is UND. If you want to talk about UND, fan or opponent, you're welcome. Though on-topic smack (e.g. with an upcoming opponent pregame) occurs frequently, just jumping into non-smack discussions and trying to smack UND will get the thread closed, and after many infractions, you suspended. There will be some discussion of NDSU because they're a regional school, went through a transition similar to UND's, and their conference movements undoubtedly affect our search. However, such threads will unapologetically be from a perspective of their impact on UND, because it's a UND message board.

If you see a thread that you think is out of hand or contains unnecessary smack, don't assume we're just letting it go, assume we haven't seen it and report it!