SiouxSports.com Forum

Fullerton Still Talking Big Sky Expansion

star2city

Greeley Tribune: Big Sky brings Bears into fold

This link clearly shows that:

UND is still a Big Sky possibility.

Denver U, even without football (and contrary to conventional message board group thought), is also a possibility, especially for travel reasons.

Will DU be an ally to UND? The BSC needs DU and its DI core membership status more than DU needs the BSC. DU needs rivals (it has none in the SunBelt) and UND fits that bill possibly more than any other BSC school, even UNC.

Denver has attractive travel costs with Southwest Airlines now flying into DIA

Fullerton is talking up the Montana and Montana State alumni base in the Denver metro area. Who else has a decent alumni base there, that actually show up for DU hockey and UNC football games, and possibly BSC championship events? ;)

Fullerton greeted Big Sky Conference athletic directors, football officials and media members, including SportsCast Network, which will video stream football, volleyball along with men's and women's basketball.
Hmm, video streaming conference games must be an important initiative. Who already has in-house capability to do this? ;)

Others schools specifically mentioned by Fullerton:

NDSU - a school "envious" of UNC's membership - (would NDSU pay an entry fee to the MidCon for the 2007-8 season, and then pay an exit fee and then an entry fee to the Big Sky for the next? - one year in the MidCon could get expensive :angry: )

.. and of course there's ..... SDSU (taking either NDSU or SDSU would likely cause the MidCon to take another school, is this why USD will announce a DI decision in November, right after the BSC meetings so if NDSU is gone, USD becomes SDSU's travel partner in the MidCon?) -

Southern Utah "has always been hanging around" (would force the MidCon to add another DI core school)

Utah Valley State gets mentioned (for the first time in my recollection)

One school not mentioned that could get a lot of attention from conferences in October if the NCAA approves its membership:

University of British Columbia (presumably wouldn't move football to the NCAA) Would Portland St, Sac St, and E Wash, as a political compromise, push for another Pacific Time Zone school? UBC doesn't fit the private-school WCC profile and its athletic profile may not be high enough (yet) for the WAC. Hockey would be its marquee sport, which might entice DU to also lobby for UBC as a precondition of membership. Would the WCHA take in UBC?

"It's no secret what schools are interested in joining our family," Fullerton said. "North Dakota, North Dakota State, of course there's South Dakota State and Southern Utah has always been hanging around."

Still hold firm on October prediction: UND, NDSU, and DU get invited for campus visits. BSC gets the UND/NDSU combo in 2008-9. MidCon gets the SDSU/USD combo in 2008-9.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still hold firm on October prediction: UND, NDSU, and DU get invited for campus visits. BSC gets the UND/NDSU combo in 2008-9. MidCon gets the SDSU/USD combo in 2008-9.

I'm hoping that you're right. I don't know NDSU is going to handle their MidCon invite, as I think it is coming. They would need something concrete from the BSC to turn down an invitation from the MidCon.

I'm hoping that you're right. I don't know NDSU is going to handle their MidCon invite, as I think it is coming. They would need something concrete from the BSC to turn down an invitation from the MidCon.

I'm pretty sure mid-con competition will be starting for the SU's in 07-08, as has been previously stated, for when Valpo leaves the conference. I also think its unlikely, even in the unlikely scenario you layed out above, that USD will get an invite in probably their first year of D-I transition. In that case I would say UTPA gets a nod.

Greeley Tribune: Big Sky brings Bears into fold

This link clearly shows that:

UND is still a Big Sky possibility.

Denver U, even without football (and contrary to conventional message board group thought), is also a possibility, especially for travel reasons.

Will DU be an ally to UND? The BSC needs DU and its DI core membership status more than DU needs the BSC. DU needs rivals (it has none in the SunBelt) and UND fits that bill possibly more than any other BSC school, even UNC.

Denver has attractive travel costs with Southwest Airlines now flying into DIA

Fullerton is talking up the Montana and Montana State alumni base in the Denver metro area. Who else has a decent alumni base there, that actually show up for DU hockey and UNC football games, and possibly BSC championship events? ;)

Hmm, video streaming conference games must be an important initiative. Who already has in-house capability to do this? ;)

Others schools specifically mentioned by Fullerton:

NDSU - a school "envious" of UNC's membership - (would NDSU pay an entry fee to the MidCon for the 2007-8 season, and then pay an exit fee and then an entry fee to the Big Sky for the next? - one year in the MidCon could get expensive :angry: )

.. and of course there's ..... SDSU (taking either NDSU or SDSU would likely cause the MidCon to take another school, is this why USD will announce a DI decision in November, right after the BSC meetings so if NDSU is gone, USD becomes SDSU's travel partner in the MidCon?) -

Southern Utah "has always been hanging around" (would force the MidCon to add another DI core school)

Utah Valley State gets mentioned (for the first time in my recollection)

One school not mentioned that could get a lot of attention from conferences in October if the NCAA approves its membership:

University of British Columbia (presumably wouldn't move football to the NCAA) Would Portland St, Sac St, and E Wash, as a political compromise, push for another Pacific Time Zone school? UBC doesn't fit the private-school WCC profile and its athletic profile may not be high enough (yet) for the WAC. Hockey would be its marquee sport, which might entice DU to also lobby for UBC as a precondition of membership. Would the WCHA take in UBC?

Ah, yes another of Fullertons victims. There was a time when I took him seriously, but no more. Seriously, in that article the guy sounds a little full of himself, discussing how "everybody wants in" blah, blah, blah. Don't give him the satisfaction of letting him get your hopes up, only to crush them, its all his does. Fullerton is a dream breaker, and I think hes a little mad that the SU's aren't going to play anymore. And "one of the best conferences in Division I", yeah, its not exactly the big 10 over there. And I almost laughed about the comments about "only adding schools that help with competitiveness". Thats why they added UNC, the team that beat, what, one great west team in two seasons? And the mens basketball program that it took two years to get a division I win? Yeah, much better than the SU's. And I'm glad that the UNC football players are sooo much happier in the big sky, it must have gotten rough coming in last in the great west two years running. That article was almost unbelievable.

About your scenario, I don't really agree with a lot of it. Why would the big sky, if they intended to have UND and NDSU in conference, wait for the mid con to complete its expansion, before even giving NDSU a hint? If they were really serious, they wouldn't have done that, they would have extended a visit to at least NDSU during the last expansion round to at least keep themselves in the running for NDSU.

I think in all of that talk, you missed the blatant options for the sky... adding only denver. Gives 10 for basketball and 9 for football. The other choice, but more unlikely, is only S. Utah is added. Gives 10 for both. In either of these scenarios, UND is most likely up a creek, as the mid con most likely won't move to the dakotas for a single member, and will probably be forced to take UTPA.

Ah, yes another of Fullertons victims. There was a time when I took him seriously, but no more. Seriously, in that article the guy sounds a little full of himself, discussing how "everybody wants in" blah, blah, blah. Don't give him the satisfaction of letting him get your hopes up, only to crush them, its all his does. Fullerton is a dream breaker, and I think hes a little mad that the SU's aren't going to play anymore. And "one of the best conferences in Division I", yeah, its not exactly the big 10 over there. And I almost laughed about the comments about "only adding schools that help with competitiveness". Thats why they added UNC, the team that beat, what, one great west team in two seasons? And the mens basketball program that it took two years to get a division I win? Yeah, much better than the SU's. And I'm glad that the UNC football players are sooo much happier in the big sky, it must have gotten rough coming in last in the great west two years running. That article was almost unbelievable.

About your scenario, I don't really agree with a lot of it. Why would the big sky, if they intended to have UND and NDSU in conference, wait for the mid con to complete its expansion, before even giving NDSU a hint? If they were really serious, they wouldn't have done that, they would have extended a visit to at least NDSU during the last expansion round to at least keep themselves in the running for NDSU.

I think in all of that talk, you missed the blatant options for the sky... adding only denver. Gives 10 for basketball and 9 for football. The other choice, but more unlikely, is only S. Utah is added. Gives 10 for both. In either of these scenarios, UND is most likely up a creek, as the mid con most likely won't move to the dakotas for a single member, and will probably be forced to take UTPA.

such bitterness when you're kicked to the curb by the "sky"....SIGH :angry: How much loyalty will NDSU have to the Mid-Con if the Big Sky decides to "add" more members when UND...et al...become available??

ANSWER: NONE!! ndsu is NOTHING but opportunistic...kind of like their President ;) He'll get a nice new shiny house and a raise...Potts gets a $200,000 settlement for his contract...and ND taxpayers will pay for it all!! BUT we should all be happy because we have a di school in our little rural state...(SOON TO BE JOINED BY ANOTHER!!) How will the higher ed board deal with that?

such bitterness when you're kicked to the curb by the "sky"....SIGH :angry: How much loyalty will NDSU have to the Mid-Con if the Big Sky decides to "add" more members when UND...et al...become available??

bitterness based on experience, not doubt about it

NDSU will not be leaving the Mid-Con for the Big Sky. The Big Sky has institutions that look like NDSU and football with an autobid and that's about it.

ANSWER: NONE!! ndsu is NOTHING but opportunistic...kind of like their President ;) He'll get a nice new shiny house and a raise...Potts gets a $200,000 settlement for his contract...and ND taxpayers will pay for it all!! BUT we should all be happy because we have a di school in our little rural state...(SOON TO BE JOINED BY ANOTHER!!) How will the higher ed board deal with that?

?

If NDSU gets into the Mid-Con they will stay put. The BSC will not expand east to the Dakota's, too much traveling for the west coast teams (at lease in their eyes). If the Mid-Con stays stable - UND will be waiting for a long time for a conference. usd going DI, they don't have the facilities or money. They'll need some major monies for the upgrade. The reason Fullerton is spouting off is he knows that the BSC will never come east.

If NDSU gets into the Mid-Con they will stay put.

I disagree that NDSU would stay put in the Mid-Con if they were invited to the Big Sky. I think they would jump.

The reason Fullerton is spouting off is he knows that the BSC will never come east.

If he knows that they will never come east, why say anything at all. He would gain nothing by saying it.

If he knows that they will never come east, why say anything at all. He would gain nothing by saying it.

Probably because he is involved in some sort of conspiracy with UND against NDSU, very similair to the whole Potts/Chapman thing.

Probably because he is involved in some sort of conspiracy with UND against NDSU, very similair to the whole Potts/Chapman thing.

Why is UND joining the Big Sky considered against NDSU? If NDSU gets in the Mid-Con, they will stay. I see no problem with UND joining the Big Sky with Denver or whoever. Mid-Con or Big Sky, both okay with me.

A lot of speculation out there, who knows what will happen. I wish someone/school would look into starting a new conference, they would need at least 6 schools, well, you would have NDSU, SDSU, UND, and probably USD, they would need to land two more schools and with Nebraska Omaha also looking into it, this new conference would probably sway them, your then down to one. I'm sure though that this is probably easier said then done though or it probably already would have been pursued. SDSU's athletic director had the right idea though even before SDSU & NDSU went Dl, he wanted to turn the NCC into a Dl conference, they would have needed 6 of the schools to agree.............never did hear much about that, it was mentioned and that was it.

Why is UND joining the Big Sky considered against NDSU? If NDSU gets in the Mid-Con, they will stay. I see no problem with UND joining the Big Sky with Denver or whoever. Mid-Con or Big Sky, both okay with me.

Not trying to flame here, but looking for information. With the Mid-Con not having football, and the GWFC a little unstable since most of the teams are looking to get into other conferences, wouldn't it be best for both SU's to join the Big Sky if given the opportunity? I mean, they would then have a conference that allowed all of the sports to be in. Also, has anyone given thought to the idea that if UND, USD, and UNO (or possibly one of the MN NCC schools) all go DI, the Big Sky could split into an East-West thing with the two winners playing each other for the overall championship? Because if I'm not mistaken, there are currently 9 teams in the Big Sky, and if you added NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, and UNO (or other) you would have 14 teams. Split that up into two divisions with the five pre-mentioned and the two Montana schools being in the East and travel would not be an issue. Six guarunteed conference games with the possibility of Seven. Schedule four non-conference and your all set. Sounds good to me! Give Fullerton a call.

Not trying to flame here, but looking for information. With the Mid-Con not having football, and the GWFC a little unstable since most of the teams are looking to get into other conferences, wouldn't it be best for both SU's to join the Big Sky if given the opportunity? I mean, they would then have a conference that allowed all of the sports to be in. Also, has anyone given thought to the idea that if UND, USD, and UNO (or possibly one of the MN NCC schools) all go DI, the Big Sky could split into an East-West thing with the two winners playing each other for the overall championship? Because if I'm not mistaken, there are currently 9 teams in the Big Sky, and if you added NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, and UNO (or other) you would have 14 teams. Split that up into two divisions with the five pre-mentioned and the two Montana schools being in the East and travel would not be an issue. Six guarunteed conference games with the possibility of Seven. Schedule four non-conference and your all set. Sounds good to me! Give Fullerton a call.

Everyone would want to be in Montana's division, they are a sure sellout everywhere. IMO, UNO would be a better fit for the Mid-Con than the Big Sky, but who knows. I just can't see NDSU bolting after being accepted into a conference. Also I doubt the BSC would play a championship game in football. It would cross into the I-AA playoff timeframe. The SWAC already does this, and the skip the playoffs. The Mid-Con could be a longterm home to former NCC schools.

If NDSU is offered a Big Sky invite once they are in the MidCon, NDSU will jump so quick it won't even be funny. No way in hedoublehockeysticks will they turn down their dream conference for an unstable one.

I don't think anybody has to worry about this situation for the next twenty years.

BisonMav-I'm not sure why you don't think there could be a championship game. Why not just schedule it for the last day of the regular season? There would be no conflict with playoffs then. The only negative I see in this is that some teams won't have a game that final week, so they will play one less game than others. I don't know, just thinking what could be.

I personally don't believe that anything is going to come out of the October (or whenever) President meetings. The Big Sky has two excellent institutions and lots of crap that holds them back (Sac State, Portland State, etc...). Any school in our region whether it be NDSU/SDSU/UND/USD/or whatever will not get in unless the West Coast bias leaves the conference. They've stated OVER and OVER again that TRAVEL has always been the issue that "hurts the Dakota schools". They are also interested mostly in the fickle dream that if they add a subpar school next to a major metropolitan area that they are going to have an instant jump in interest towards the BSC. Didn't happen with Sac State and didn't happen with Portland or Washington.

I don't see NDSU or SDSU jumping ship (even though we aren't in yet, and that's still iffy) from the MidCon to goto the BigTease, unless we we're offered the chance to play alternating Home and Away games EVERY year with BOTH Montana schools. Remember though, everyone else in the conference already wants to play them and won't be willing to give up a game to any of us.

For those whom are truely lost and don't realize how much of a car salesman Fullerton really is, please spare yourself and wake up.

:angry:

If NDSU is offered a Big Sky invite once they are in the MidCon, NDSU will jump so quick it won't even be funny. No way in hedoublehockeysticks will they turn down their dream conference for an unstable one.

THANK YOU! does ANY school in the Mid-Con make anyone say....I GOTTA SEE THAT GAME!!!:angry: not so much...

THANK YOU! does ANY school in the Mid-Con make anyone say....I GOTTA SEE THAT GAME!!!:angry: not so much...

Oral Roberts would be this year, UMKC, W Illinois or whoever went to the Big Dance the prior year. Baseball and softball will have a home. Big Sky is also a good conference, hopefully the Mid-Con will make an offer.

BisonMav-I'm not sure why you don't think there could be a championship game. Why not just schedule it for the last day of the regular season? There would be no conflict with playoffs then. The only negative I see in this is that some teams won't have a game that final week, so they will play one less game than others. I don't know, just thinking what could be.

I have seen this discussed on AGS. The A-10 has two divisions and do not have a championship game. Might just be one too many games in a division that has playoffs.

No way would the Big Sky have a championship game. You could only play 10 regular season games, thus missing out one home gate every year. It just doesn't make financial sense in I-AA to have a conference championship game.

It makes sense in I-A, but I agree that it doesn't in I-AA unless I-AA goes away from the playoff system. Which I think most would agree isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I'm trying to understand why it seems many Bison fans on SS.com are saying that NDSU wouldn't jump to the Big Sky if offered. I would think that the alumni base ($$$) would be more inclined to give if NDSU was Big Sky rather than Mid-Con. I'm assuming that NDSU has a sizable alumni population in Denver and the western states, more so than in Mid-Con land. Big Sky makes more finanacial sense if given a choice.

It makes sense in I-A, but I agree that it doesn't in I-AA unless I-AA goes away from the playoff system. Which I think most would agree isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I'm trying to understand why it seems many Bison fans on SS.com are saying that NDSU wouldn't jump to the Big Sky if offered. I would think that the alumni base ($$$) would be more inclined to give if NDSU was Big Sky rather than Mid-Con. I'm assuming that NDSU has a sizable alumni population in Denver and the western states, more so than in Mid-Con land. Big Sky makes more finanacial sense if given a choice.

Besides the 2 Montana schools the rest of the BSC doesn't hold any more interest than any team in the Mid-Con. I don't think the alumni base would give more one way or the other. If the GWFC is stable I don't see a real advantage of the BSC (besides the Montana schools). I'm trying to figure out why most of the UND fans scum the Mid-Con and say it's BSC or nothing. Believe me when the time comes you'll jump at any DI conference invite whether it's the Mid-Con or not.