SiouxSports.com Forum

Seating For Football At The Alerus

PartTime

I'm not an engineer (suprise!) but there's room for nosebleed seats ABOVE the suites on the homefield side and they could do a small set of risers along the SRO endzones to allow a crowd of 5 or 6 deep to watch...that should add a couple thousand more seats without any significant structural changes. The only problem I see is the CHEAP SEAT people having to walk through Suite Level to get to their seats...what happens when they see how the "other side" lives? :D

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the response to my e-mail:

The total capacity of the Alerus Center for UND Football, including

suites, standing room only, main bowl and ADA available risers, is

13,500. The UND football media guide lists the actual capacity in the

bowl, which is 12,283 thereabouts. UND does not have control over our

suites or whether or not we're able to add the ADA risers and go to

SRO,

so that is why they list the lower number.

UND reports the attendance number based on total tickets issued and

that

is the number that we use when reporting attendance at UND football

games. Please contact UND media relations if you have additional

questions regarding the game attendance.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion. Thank you,

Julie Ward

Director of Sales & Marketing

There are many season ticket holders who only attend one game or none per season. I have four season tickets and more often than not have one empty seat. This past game there were several empty seats in the row above and below mine.

The number reported does not reflect the actual attendance.

She copied & pasted the same response in an email to me.

Well, Not to make an issue out of this, but unless I'm missing something here, you can never get an actual attendance figure at the Alerus Center then because UND reports the attendance number and they only have control over the bowl seats and not the suites, standing room only, ADA risers etc. Therefore, the attendance that has been posted at games thus far is just the bowl attendance.

Well, Not to make an issue out of this, but unless I'm missing something here, you can never get an actual attendance figure at the Alerus Center then because UND reports the attendance number and they only have control over the bowl seats and not the suites, standing room only, ADA risers etc. Therefore, the attendance that has been posted at games thus far is just the bowl attendance.

I've never seen the risers used. Were they used at the 2001 Sioux-Bison game? I wasn't there. :D

Tickets still have to be issued for suites, SRO, etc. They should have a count on all tickets issued including the bowl and others.

My impression is that UND has chosen to use a figure that includes actual seats that they have available to sell in the media guide. Suite tickets (sold as a package by the Alerus Center) are not available for general sale but will be counted as issued. SRO seats do not exist so those are extra tickets sold when seats are not available. That is how they got the 13,500 figure that occured against the school from the south. I don't remember the risers used for any games yet but I could be wrong.

Those risers are for the BB configuration of the arena. I doubt there's room to set them up and still have the minimum standoff space from the field (endzone) to them.

Danny Graf had enough problems with getting tangled in the nets in the end zone. If they had risers set up too, it would cause complete choas. :D

• 2 months later...

OK, why the skyway? Doesn't it seem a little excessive and have no point except to add money to the construction? One step at a time my friend. Trust me.

I'm buying Wodon's words here more and more every day. Putting a ramp behind Tabula would have centered it between the Union and Gamble, would have made it a quick one-block walk to REA (to the north), and if they were going to build "a Skyway to Nowhere", couldn't they have built it over Tabula to the south side of University also?

Continuing with the above notion, in the linked rendering you are on Columbia Road between Hyslop and Memorial, looking north. That tower on the right, as it stands, it's a "Bridge to Nowhere" and it is under construction today.

You don't build a "Bridge to Nowhere" unless nowhere will be somewhere soon (or you're a legislator from Alaska).

http://www.parking.UND.edu/hot_topics/futureparkingmap.jpg

• 2 months later...
Continuing with the above notion, in the linked rendering you are on Columbia Road between Hyslop and Memorial, looking north. That tower on the right, as it stands, it's a "Bridge to Nowhere" and it is under construction today.

http://www.parking.UND.edu/hot_topics/futureparkingmap.jpg

Looking at that image, every surface of the ramp is "square" to a compass heading, except the south wall of the lonely tower. It's south wall faces southwest. Seems strange to set one wall at a diagonal.

Looking at that image, every surface of the ramp is "square" to a compass heading, except the south wall of the lonely tower. It's south wall faces southwest. Seems strange to set one wall at a diagonal.

Sic:

The whole east side tower has gotta be just an architectural screwup - what on earth could that tower possibly be connecting to? Everyone knows UND isn't capable of long-term planning. Just ask a bison fan. :sad::angry:

I found one other thing of interest in that photo. There are no other buildings drawn into the picture but there is one little brick structure that is drawn into the background. It looks like something right along University. So why did they draw in this one random brick structure that isn't currently there?

EDIT: Does anybody know if the north side of the tower is also angled?

futureparkingmap.jpg

Is the intersection a 4 90 degree corners?

It looks like the sideways street is diagonal relative to the straight street (the one going in and out of the monitor with the camera's POV).

2nd and Columbia is a "square" intersection.

Find Memorial Stadium on this map and northwest of it is the "parking garage" under construction. (This map doesn't show the east tower in the architectural drawing.)

Look at the "towers" that hold up each end of the walkway, specifically the roof-line corners. The west side: square; the east side: that one SW-facing south wall. Everything on the east tower is "square" save for that wall. You can go and look for yourself under construction. They're working on it.

PS - Where's anything north of this along Columbia! :angry:

Well, then, I think it's just an artifact of this computer rendering what should be a straight edge at an angle relative to the viewer.

I'm sure it'll be square in reality.

Those newfangled computers are always making mistakes...thanks for the clarification.

Well, then, I think it's just an artifact of this computer rendering what should be a straight edge at an angle relative to the viewer.

I'm stunned by this response. I can't figure out what to ask:

Did they stop teaching perspective drawing at NDSU's engineering and architecture schools?

Or

Why "the computer" just foul up one corner?

Why "the computer" just foul up one corner?

Let me try this part:

I sent this to a friend who looks at drawings like this all day.

Their impression: Someone may have been trying to get the slant on all the rooflines (corners of ramp towers) to "line up" by "lifting up" on one corner of the roofline of the east tower and in the process distorted the south face of the tower.

Sic:

The whole east side tower has gotta be just an architectural screwup - what on earth could that tower possibly be connecting to? Everyone knows UND isn't capable of long-term planning. Just ask a bison fan. :sad::angry:

The reason that they are going to be building that "Tower" on the east side of Columbia is for a future parking ramp to be put on that side which will encompass half of that lot that is currently there. It would be used for students and faculty during the week and for events at the REA on the weekends.

Their impression: Someone may have been trying to get the slant on all the rooflines (corners of ramp towers) to "line up" by "lifting up" on one corner of the roofline of the east tower and in the process distorted the south face of the tower.

Makes sense.

When they actually build it I would expect all the buildings to be square.

• 3 months later...
I found one other thing of interest in that photo. There are no other buildings drawn into the picture but there is one little brick structure that is drawn into the background. It looks like something right along University. So why did they draw in this one random brick structure that isn't currently there?

futureparkingmap.jpg

Seems UND's parking ramp lone tower bears a striking resemblance to one at Central Oklahoma:

BBAWTQGMDHTGBNJ.20060114233751.jpg

ZOWZECPONWATFEH.20060114234139.jpg