SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts Resigns

SiouxMD

Why don't we just acknowledge the dichotomy and move on?

UND fans see the mess Chapman has created (and UND fans aren't alone in this, trust me) and call him on it.

NDSU fans see UND fans as self serving (which NDSU fans have thought of us long before Chapman was ever named NDSU president) and cannot see any logic in what they say.

It's kind of like Democrats vs. REpublicans. Regardless of which side is actually correct, neither side can work with each other because Republicans are big business loving Fascist Nazis and Democrats are pinko commie hippies.

Seriously! DI in Fargo isn't going to see UND's perspective. Period. I very much doubt any "true" NDSU fan would. Oh, I'm sure our "self-servedness" is the reason why. Whatever.

Maybe Potts did act irrationally. Maybe there is some question as to what benefit he was to the state. Rational questions or statements the both of them. However, trying to deflect the fact away that Chapman has misused public funding (How about rerouting funds to redo his house's backyard? Is that truly a necessity? And I'm sure there are other things.) and the fact that Chapman has started this whole mess is rather immature and pig headed.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we just acknowledge the dichotomy and move on?

UND fans see the mess Chapman has created (and UND fans aren't alone in this, trust me) and call him on it.

NDSU fans see UND fans as self serving (which NDSU fans have thought of us long before Chapman was ever named NDSU president) and cannot see any logic in what they say.

It's kind of like Democrats vs. REpublicans. Regardless of which side is actually correct, neither side can work with each other because Republicans are big business loving Fascist Nazis and Democrats are pinko commie hippies.

Seriously! DI in Fargo isn't going to see UND's perspective. Period. I very much doubt any "true" NDSU fan would. Oh, I'm sure our "self-servedness" is the reason why. Whatever.

Maybe Potts did act irrationally. Maybe there is some question as to what benefit he was to the state. Rational questions or statements the both of them. However, trying to deflect the fact away that Chapman has misused public funding (How about rerouting funds to redo his house's backyard? Is that truly a necessity? And I'm sure there are other things.) and the fact that Chapman has started this whole mess is rather immature and pig headed.

The comment highlighted just took away any credibility that you may have had. No public funds were ever used to do anything to fix the house at Chapmans request. If you want to make those comments go ahead but your credibility goes down the drain with them.

I feel honored to be singled out!

You choose to ignore facts when presented to you, you get personal and attack persons who disagree with you, YOU are the one who lacks credibility. IowaBison has come on this SIOUX forum and presented his opposing views and has not felt so insecure with his opinions/viewpoints that he has felt it necessary to attack a persons credibility. Take a lesson.

The comment highlighted just took away any credibility that you may have had. No public funds were ever used to do anything to fix the house at Chapmans request. If you want to make those comments go ahead but your credibility goes down the drain with them.

Sorry about that. I shouldn't repeat things that are told to me by NDSU professors. I will refrain from taking NDSU professors seriously from here on out.

EDIT: And maybe I should give my definition of "Public Funding." As NDSU is not a private institution, all the money they recieve comes from either the public (state, local, federal governments etc.), grants, their students, and a small portion comes from revenue (merchandise sales. It is my understanding that ticket sales go only to the athletic department). So, I was giving Chapman the benefit of the doubt when I said "public" funding, as I'd hate to see what would happen if he was using the money garnered from tuition for his backyard...

As NDSU is not a private institution, all the money they recieve comes from either the public (state, local, federal governments etc.), grants, their students, and a small portion comes from revenue (merchandise sales. It is my understanding that ticket sales go only to the athletic department).

?

Seriously?

?

All of NDSU's money comes from public sources?

?

NDSU doesn't raise from private benefactors? Better tell the folks who've raised over $80 million in the past three years.

NDSU doesn't raise money from the proceeds of their intellectual property? Better tell Alien, the farmers who buy NDSU seed, and hundreds of others.

NDSU doesn't sell goods and services to private parties?

?

Since I know none of you will post this as you don't really want to see this from a perspective other then one that may benefit UND but here it is anyway.

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/136354

Potts should have been shown the door a long time ago. The facts don't jive with you now do they sioux-cia? Your beloved Potts was not interested in equity at all. I see no one has bothered to answer the one question about what did Potts do to benefit ND or the higher ed system? I can answer it for you. NOTHING.

Reading what you wrote, I thought there was going to be some BIG news coming out about how terrible Potts was, but instead it was the same old thing.

We saw that NDSU was getting less per student than other campuses. What this means is that students are being shortchanged in subtle ways, such as larger class size.
Sorry Brown, one campus or another is always going to have "less per student than other campuses." None are always going to be equal.

The bill proposed $12.2 million in new state funding. This new funding would not have taken away any funds from other campuses.

But it would have come from somewhere. If those 3 campuses are so "underfunded" then certain schools in ND, like Valley City State University, are way "overfunded." We could take money away from them to help "equal things out."

Bottom line: There is no imperical way to show that one school is underfunded or one is overfunded, but if you want to use the current criteria of percentage of "peer schools." The only solution is to take away money from "overfunded" not to only increase money to certain schools. Now that would not seem fair, No wonder that bill failed.

Yeah, the general fund.

Also, there are infinitely many empirical ways of demonstrating inequality in higher education funding, the key is finding and agreeing on an objective one.

How about the one already in place? That was agreed upon?

In the end, however, campuses agreed that funding needed to continue current operations was the top priority. Therefore, the presidents reached consensus on an 80/20 split, with no more than 80 percent of all new funding to be dedicated to parity and no less than 20 percent to equity and their recommendation was adopted by the board. The funding formula is designed so that a larger portion of equity funds go to those campuses furthest from their peers.

Seems fair to me, and others at the time.

But Chapman says "NO."

If a new one is set up, won't someone else always say "NO,"

The question is will they have the power like Chapman?

The SBoHE went into the '05 session expecting a ridiculous increase in higher ed spending, their plan relied upon it and their plan remains the same.

The real catch is that eventually North Dakota taxpayers are going to 'get wise' and realize that they are paying big bucks for a rather mediocre system. North Dakotans are in the top ten in a number of higher ed funding categories (higher ed spending/capita and per $1000 of personal income) and what do we get in return?

We spend nearly twice as much on higher ed as South Dakota and Montana and it would be difficult to objectively state that our institutions of higher learning are significantly better than that in those two states.

Well, call me shocked. :love:

Another politician from Fargo tries to blame Potts for the mess Chapman created. Who's "facts" should we believe.....the North Dakota Attorney Generals, or Chapman's District 27 Lap-dog???

Funny, but I didn't hear any Sioux Fans question the validity of the arguments quoted in post #s 283 & 285 from a couple of UND professors in a letter to the GF Herald (now that's an objective combination). Those were taken as gospel from Sioux fans. I guess objectivity is reserved for people at UND & Grand Forks.

Just my 2 Cents Here.....You forgot to mention the other article mentioned in posts #283 and #285 that was written by an outsider that has a doctorate degree from the U. of Cincinatti and another college. The author who wrote the article lives in Moorhead, MN. Or are we not questioning the validity of that article? Because that article appears to be pretty objective when I read it. Whatever article you read, it doesn't paint a very pleasant picture for NDSU President Chapman or our entire North Dakota University System in either one.

Funny, but I didn't hear any Sioux Fans question the validity of the arguments quoted in post #s 283 & 285 from a couple of UND professors in a letter to the GF Herald (now that's an objective combination). Those were taken as gospel from Sioux fans. I guess objectivity is reserved for people at UND & Grand Forks.

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black? I don't remember many issues like this where NDSU fans agreed with UND fans anyways.

I'm still waiting to hear what Potts has done for the State of ND or for the NDUS. Apparently everyone's still thinking about that one. :love:

Don't worry I already know the answer, its a BIG NOTHING ! But hey lets defend him anyway because its so much fun to bash Chapman and NDSU. Don't you guys have more to worry about like a Naming rights issue and a pending lawsuit with the NCAA? Oh and lets not forget $$$$$ issues with the Pending DI move in 2 years. One would think that would keep you busy enough.

I'm still waiting to hear what Potts has done for the State of ND or for the NDUS. Apparently everyone's still thinking about that one. :love:

Because you insist on making a fool out of yourself, I'll tell you based on my own personal experience. Potts recognized the importance of the North Dakota University System working together as a system. He emphasized, promoted and encouraged collaborative efforts between the various entitities of the system. I've heard even some pro-Chapman people admit that the NDUS ran well under Potts. If they can see that, why can't you?

Now answer my question: If Potts was such an obvious detriment to the state of North Dakota, how come we never heard about it until Chapman wanted him fired?

I'm still waiting to hear what Potts has done for the State of ND or for the NDUS. Apparently everyone's still thinking about that one.

And I'm still waiting to hear the answer to my question which I've asked ad nauseam.

When did Chapman lie? When he told the AG that he did demand higher pay and improvements to his home or when he told the media that he did not demand higher pay and improvements to his home? Can't both be the truth unless he suffers from a mental illness such as a split personality disorder. Which, given his poor memory regarding key issues, could be the case. His honesty or lack there of is a direct reflection of his character or lack there of.

I don't see anyone questioning Potts honesty.