Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Fitting name to attach to the HPC. I do find it interesting, however, that J. Hadju had to weigh in on it via twitter calling the naming "long overdue." Really Hadju? The building opened in 2015. Nothing about it has been long. So glad that smug SJW moved on from UND. Blame Canada, ya hoser.

thats a really weird thing to be upset about.  Im guessing you are great at parties.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I voted and paid for a Wellness Center that I have never stepped foot in. Everyone was aware of the cost and build out time but there was support because it was a betterment for future UND students. N

Hey, it seems to be vogue this week to resurrect threads started in 2006, so why not.  UND continues to work on the facilities master plan and now some faculty are upse

Myhra was a character and nice guy. I never would had thought of naming a building after him.  I had the privilege of sitting next to  Fritz Pollard at a UND alumni dinner one night. Great guy who h

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Fitting name to attach to the HPC. I do find it interesting, however, that J. Hadju had to weigh in on it via twitter calling the naming "long overdue." Really Hadju? The building opened in 2015. Nothing about it has been long. So glad that smug SJW moved on from UND. Blame Canada, ya hoser.

Did you read his post?  He said "congratulations to the amazing Pollard family on this long-overdue recognition."  

The recognition of Fritz Pollard at UND in this type of capacity is long overdue.  Not the renaming of the HPC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it "long overdue?" Name another campus building named in honor of a student athlete. Well, I'm waiting... Ralph doesn't count. To say it's long overdue, there must be precedent. A history of naming athletic buildings after athletic alumni. It's a fitting and great honor, but hardly "overdue " given this naming is the first of its kind.

I guess "don't question the motives of Hockey God Hadju." He has always been and will continue to be a smug, holier than thou jackass.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Why is it "long overdue?" Name another campus building named in honor of a student athlete. Well, I'm waiting... Ralph doesn't count. To say it's long overdue, there must be precedent. A history of naming athletic buildings after athletic alumni. It's a fitting and great honor, but hardly "overdue " given this naming is the first of its kind.

I guess "don't question the motives of Hockey God Hadju." He has always been and will continue to be a smug, holier than thou jackass.

Think about it this way. Naming the building after him will be a great recruiting tool. It’s a nice story and could sway a recruit or two each year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Why is it "long overdue?" Name another campus building named in honor of a student athlete. Well, I'm waiting... Ralph doesn't count. To say it's long overdue, there must be precedent. A history of naming athletic buildings after athletic alumni. It's a fitting and great honor, but hardly "overdue " given this naming is the first of its kind.

I guess "don't question the motives of Hockey God Hadju." He has always been and will continue to be a smug, holier than thou jackass.

Challenge accepted.

On July 17, 1981, the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education officially changed the named of the (UND) Fieldhouse to the Hyslop Sports Center in honor of W. Kenneth Hyslop, a UND baseball player from 1904-06....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I think it's great. Primary tenants are football and T&F. The right thing for many reasons. Just don't understand the "long-overdue" comment from Hadju. Other than , since his UND departure, he's been quite critical of UND administration. Leaving was his decision,  but acts like he has an ax to grind.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Challenge accepted.

On July 17, 1981, the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education officially changed the named of the (UND) Fieldhouse to the Hyslop Sports Center in honor of W. Kenneth Hyslop, a UND baseball player from 1904-06....

Did not know that. Stand corrected.  Thanks for the research. 1906 to 1981 = 75 years. 1936 to 2021 = 85 years. Overdue. Ok. But Hadju still suspect. That's a hill I'm willing to die on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Challenge accepted.

On July 17, 1981, the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education officially changed the named of the (UND) Fieldhouse to the Hyslop Sports Center in honor of W. Kenneth Hyslop, a UND baseball player from 1904-06....

You cut the story off short. Was Hyslop honored for his playing days or philanthropy? Makes a difference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Oh I think it's great. Primary tenants are football and T&F. The right thing for many reasons. Just don't understand the "long-overdue" comment from Hadju. Other than , since his UND departure, he's been quite critical of UND administration. Leaving was his decision,  but acts like he has an ax to grind.

Based off how he phrased it in his tweet, I think he just meant that with all the things that Fritz Pollard Jr did throughout his stellar career, it was "long overdue" to give Fritz Pollard Jr recognition for everything he did. Hajdu was kind of a nerd when it came to UND's athletics history when he was here, not just hockey.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

You cut the story off short. Was Hyslop honored for his playing days or philanthropy? Makes a difference. 

Why the qualifier related to money? You simply asked for another former student athlete who had a building named after them.. and then added a strange addendum that Ralph didn't count. Maybe they're honored for both -- philanthropy and atheltics. Who cares? It's a good news story whether Hajdu thinks so or not. 

And long overdue in either case.... as long as Hajdu's not the one saying it, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Oh I think it's great. Primary tenants are football and T&F. The right thing for many reasons. Just don't understand the "long-overdue" comment from Hadju. Other than , since his UND departure, he's been quite critical of UND administration. Leaving was his decision,  but acts like he has an ax to grind.

I think you may be triggering yourself here.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Why the qualifier related to money? You simply asked for another former student athlete who had a building named after them.. and then added a strange addendum that Ralph didn't count. Maybe they're honored for both -- philanthropy and atheltics. Who cares? It's a good news story whether Hajdu thinks so or not. 

And long overdue in either case.... as long as Hajdu's not the one saying it, right?

No dog in this fight, but William Hyslop was a generous contributor to the University of North Dakota giving thousands of acres of land in Canada and the Red River Valley, stock, and millions in cash.  It looks like the naming could have been tied to an addition that was completed to the structure.

Hyslop was a generous contributor to the University of North Dakota. In January 1980, he gifted to the University over 4,100 acres of land in the Red River Valley appraised at $5.2 million. Previous gifts included over $153,000 in corporate stock, as well as 2,000 acres of land in the United States and Canada.

Hyslop died on May 30, 1981 in Racine, Wisconsin. Upon his death, the University was the beneficiary of an additional $2 million dollars. The UND Fieldhouse and its impending addition were named in Hyslop's honor on July 17, 1981.

I think the "lack"/"no"/"overdue" recognition is a bit over hyped.  Mr. Pollard was in initial class for induction into the UND Hall of Fame

FYI - I also found Hajdu kind of annoying.  But, I have not though about him much since he has moved on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Why the qualifier related to money? You simply asked for another former student athlete who had a building named after them.. and then added a strange addendum that Ralph didn't count. Maybe they're honored for both -- philanthropy and atheltics. Who cares? It's a good news story whether Hajdu thinks so or not. 

And long overdue in either case.... as long as Hajdu's not the one saying it, right?

It does make a difference. And its not a "strange" addendum. Whether or not a person is being honored as a benefactor or for athletic accomplishment matters very much in Hadju's contention that the honor was "long overdue." As pointed out, Pollard was in the very first Athletic Hall of Fame Class. Hadju simply wants readers of his tweets to see how "woke" he is by implying the University somehow overlooked Pollard. Except in this case as usual, Hadju is FOS.

You left out the part about Hylsop being a benefactor. (another poster pointed it out) He wasn't honored with the naming of the arena for his baseball prowess. Just like Ralph wasn't given the honor of Ralph Engelstad Arena's name for his goal tending. Both were benefactors. Convenient omission if you're trying to paint my comments in a particular direction. My comments were not on the appropriateness of the Pollard honor. I believe it is appropriate.

My point is and has always been about the LONG OVERDUE comment by Hadju. The naming of the HPC for a student-athlete is unprecedented. No other building (athletic or otherwise) has been named in honor of a student-athlete based in whole or part upon their athletic achievement. (Mr. Pollard is a historic UND figure as well) Therefore, it is not overdue. Nobody else has had this honor. Fritz Pollard, Jr. was not overlooked in favor of other student-athletes. The "long overdue" comment is simply Hadju being Hadju. 

Picking nits. Okay, maybe. But I have seen similar tripe from Hadju aimed at the University ever since he left. I hope he didn't let the door hit him in the ass on his way out.

Maybe you miss him being in the employee lounge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

It does make a difference. And its not a "strange" addendum. Whether or not a person is being honored as a benefactor or for athletic accomplishment matters very much in Hadju's contention that the honor was "long overdue." As pointed out, Pollard was in the very first Athletic Hall of Fame Class. Hadju simply wants readers of his tweets to see how "woke" he is by implying the University somehow overlooked Pollard. Except in this case as usual, Hadju is FOS.

You left out the part about Hylsop being a benefactor. (another poster pointed it out) He wasn't honored with the naming of the arena for his baseball prowess. Just like Ralph wasn't given the honor of Ralph Engelstad Arena's name for his goal tending. Both were benefactors. Convenient omission if you're trying to paint my comments in a particular direction. My comments were not on the appropriateness of the Pollard honor. I believe it is appropriate.

My point is and has always been about the LONG OVERDUE comment by Hadju. The naming of the HPC for a student-athlete is unprecedented. No other building (athletic or otherwise) has been named in honor of a student-athlete based in whole or part upon their athletic achievement. (Mr. Pollard is a historic UND figure as well) Therefore, it is not overdue. Nobody else has had this honor. Fritz Pollard, Jr. was not overlooked in favor of other student-athletes. The "long overdue" comment is simply Hadju being Hadju. 

Picking nits. Okay, maybe. But I have seen similar tripe from Hadju aimed at the University ever since he left. I hope he didn't let the door hit him in the ass on his way out.

Maybe you miss him being in the employee lounge. 

bingo

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have voted for Steve Myhra High Performance Center.

met him at a game in the late 80's at memorial...humble nice guy...said something along the line of how fun it is watching football and talking football with the youngsters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Thats Chaves at a golf fundraiser for hpc2/fritz2.

Seriously though, maybe there will be news?  Maybe a big presser before NDSU game?  Just seems odd that UND hasnt really had an "announcement" or presser dedicated to the Memorial Stadium building... hopefully they were waiting on something in regard to phase 2 so they can announce at same time?  One can always dream.

Memorial Stadium wake doesnt count.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...