SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Oh ok.  Kind of similar to the new med school stairs being used as a gathering space.  Anyone know if people actually sit there (in the med school)? 

0B4mGrQ-jaMMQWGNBTlhjVElabWs.jpg?itok=UE

That's what I'm thinking.  I just edited my post - I think the black things are part of the stairs, and people sit in the middle like bleachers.  That, along with people being able to watch along the railing, would make this a pretty fun place to watch a big game.

Using Ray Richards as a drone training area is actually pretty genius! It should be out of the way of the UND planes, far enough away from the airport to not impact operations at all. Way to be a leader in UAVs! This will be beneficial for the rapidly expanding aviation industry.

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/11/big-step-for-und-giant-leap-for-uas-in-society/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

So you’re saying you survived and didn’t even notice it enough to remember it?

No.  I'm saying at the time I didnt know students paid for the building.  I remember being affected by it, and it was still annoying.  The University shouldnt do it based on principle.   What actually pissed me off though was Northland students working out at the wellness.  Place was already packed enough as it was.

4 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Using Ray Richards as a drone training area is actually pretty genius! It should be out of the way of the UND planes, far enough away from the airport to not impact operations at all. Way to be a leader in UAVs! This will be beneficial for the rapidly expanding aviation industry.

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/11/big-step-for-und-giant-leap-for-uas-in-society/

The potential impact on UND, Grand Forks and North Dakota is huge.  A cheap golf course should be built further west, not resurrected in the middle of town.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:25 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Oh ok.  Kind of similar to the new med school stairs being used as a gathering space.  Anyone know if people actually sit there (in the med school)? 

I had the same thought when I saw the new Union stairs. "Boy that must be all the rage these days as its the same as the Med school." 

Or is it just the same architects?

As an aside: Why hasn't the Herald interviewed the Richards family?

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I had the same thought when I saw the new Union stairs. "Boy that must be all the rage these days as its the same as the Med school." 

Or is it just the same architects?

As an aside: Why hasn't the Herald interviewed the Richards family?

Maybe they (Richards family) aren't after attention and praise for their dad's/grandfather's accomplishments? And they probably didn't hire a public relations firm to control the narrative.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

The future facilities must take into account ND’s future outlook.

The ND public school enrollment will increase more than any other state by 2025, 27%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/01/21/a-connection-between-state-income-taxes-and-public-school-enrollment-growth/#7b807df22f90

There is still a need for technical people in the oil patch.  A bill may pass the ND legislature that if STEM majors stay in ND, they don’t have to pay a year of tuition:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4560124-bill-would-offer-free-year-stem-student-nd-colleges

UND just upped the ante on Big Data, by hiring six more professors and converting the Budge bldg to Computer Science.  Aerospace Studies used to house Computer Science, so this is a big change.  Arguably, this is where NDSU has helped the Fargo economy (Great Plains Software bought by Microsoft) and UND has lagged way behind.

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/12/big-day-for-big-data/

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4568696-legislative-approval-not-needed-potential-und-land-sale

UND considering selling the parking lot east of Columbia and south of University Ave for fraternity/sorority housing.  Wasn't there a concept at one point to place an outdoor track and soccer field (along with another parking structure) on that space?

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4568696-legislative-approval-not-needed-potential-und-land-sale

UND considering selling the parking lot east of Columbia and south of University Ave for fraternity/sorority housing.  Wasn't there a concept at one point to place an outdoor track and soccer field (along with another parking structure) on that space?

Don't think they'd sell the entire parking lot. Just the one third closest to U avenue.

It's a good idea that generates some income and beautifys the campus.

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Don't think they'd sell the entire parking lot. Just the one third closest to U avenue.

It's a good idea that generates some income and beautifys the campus.

I think it'd look nice too. Just curious if it ends that dream of a sports complex area over there. 

38 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just curious if it ends that dream of a sports complex area over there. 

Yes it's the end.

These master plans usually end with each new president. As the new ones propose their new pipe dreams.

You can get a rendering of what this new Greek row looks like in Kennedy's 2018 master plan.

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

There goes the dream of the second parking garage.  Elevators to nowhere notwithstanding. ;)

Now it'll be a skywalk and elevator attached to a "mixed use housing" building :D. Could actually be convenient. Plenty of space to build a parking garage on the other side of that building too ;)

32 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Now it'll be a skywalk and elevator attached to a "mixed use housing" building :D. Could actually be convenient. Plenty of space to build a parking garage on the other side of that building too ;)

In hindsight, had that space still been empty it would have been a perfect place to show off the new student union  (instead of a parking garage) and could have been connected to new student housing via skywalk (Kennedy's master plan does currently have a skywalk from the new union to a new student housing across the street. He seemingly has new student housing everywhere in his master plan).

Edit* "Mixed use Housing"

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

In hindsight, had that space still been empty it would have been a perfect place to show off a new student union  (instead of a parking garage) and could have been connected to new student housing via skywalk (Kennedy's master plan does currently have a skywalk from the new union to a new student housing across the street. He seemingly has new student housing everywhere in his master plan).

Edit* "Mixed use Housing"

He better get to work on recruiting and retaining on-campus students, starting with taking care of the buildings already on campus and filling faculty and dean positions. 

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'd say a lot of those buildings needed to be demolished. This tweet isn't going to attract many new students though

I saw that. Not a good look for UND.

Although Barstool has been known to fake and claim other barstool account footage as their own. So it's hard to tell truth from fiction from them. I have a hard time believing there are sticky mouse traps around the dorm toilets?

Walsh is safe from demolition.