SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

10 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Embarrassing that barely 2,000 students voted.  It's not a small chunk of change for an incoming freshman... not factoring in the 2% increase per year it's $1,680 over 120 credit hours.  Not saying that it didn't need to be done, a new Union will be nice although I have to question who thought we needed a rooftop patio in North Dakota... really?

Some context for what it's worth... and yes, I too wish more people would participate in voting in all facets of society:

1,306 (53.54%) YES - in favor of the construction of a new Memorial Union

1,133 (46.45%) NO - not in favor of the construction of a new Memorial Union

Grand Total = 2,439 Total Students Voting

As a point of reference, 2,278 students voted in the most recent Student Government Election and 2,326 students cast ballots over a much longer period of time for the Fighting Hawk Mascot Selection.

27 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

The new union will help so much with prospective students' first impressions of the school. I haven't been to many other student unions, but the ones I have been in or seen pictures of are much nicer than UND's current one. 

NDSU's is nice and I always thought SDSU's was really nice.

27 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

The new union will help so much with prospective students' first impressions of the school. I haven't been to many other student unions, but the ones I have been in or seen pictures of are much nicer than UND's current one. 

Absolutely.  The Wilkerson remodel and the new Union are huge for student recruitment.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I voted and paid for a Wellness Center that I have never stepped foot in. Everyone was aware of the cost and build out time but there was support because it was a betterment for future UND students. No different than this project.

Same here. I also think I voted for the parking ramp. Memory is fuzzy on that one though.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I voted and paid for a Wellness Center that I have never stepped foot in. Everyone was aware of the cost and build out time but there was support because it was a betterment for future UND students. No different than this project.

I didn’t even get a vote in that, just got to pay for it. 

I lived in Swanson on the east side right next to the lot.  They started pounding the pillings at 6 am on a Saturday. Didn’t stop until sunset. They were behind schedule so Kelly or Kupchella can’t remember who allowed them to work past the mandated quiet hours. Swanson shook from sunrise to sunset. 

I think it would have been cool if they could somehow incorporate dorms into a project like this... the student experience would be awesome, compared to having to walk all the way from the Wilki complex.  

Not sure if a parking ramp will be built beneath this, but it should be, especially with the winters that we have and the lack of on campus parking.

A pub would also be an awesome addition in the new union, but not gonna happen.

Next up needs to be the business school.  Everyone on campus takes classes there, and I think a new building there would have a much bigger impact in recruiting students than the Union.  Anyone hear any rumblings on when this would happen?  Would be awesome if they could get a name like Cargill attached to it.  University of North Dakota Cargill School of Business.  

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/11/new-union-gets-go-ahead/

Includes another video on the planned Student Union.  (I think it might have more than the prior videos, not sure)

I hope they consider a movable glass enclosure over the patio area, similar to the Luft in Bismarck.  Would make it a year-round space.

Downtown-Bismarck-July-2014-17.jpg

348s.jpg 

o.jpg

Certainly an opportunity to rent the space out for public use for a little extra funding.

32 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Certainly an opportunity to rent the space out for public use for a little extra funding.

If I were a student, I'd be pissed if they did this.  The students are paying for it, and I don't think the should be locked out of any of the spaces for private events. 

Love the video of the new union.  Some great plans.  Like that the patio and lawn area is all south facing.  The walls can help to block the wind.  Would have loved to have an outdoor study area in the fall.  

This pic shows a huge staircase and a TV - could defiantly see people congregate here for mini viewing parties during important games, especially if people need a study break or something.

union.PNG

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Love the video of the new union.  Some great plans.  Like that the patio and lawn area is all south facing.  The walls can help to block the wind.  Would have loved to have an outdoor study area in the fall.  

This pic shows a huge staircase and a TV - could defiantly see people congregate here for mini viewing parties during important games, especially if people need a study break or something.

union.PNG

Hadn't noticed the screen there.  Do they congregate on the stairs to watch the tv there or what?

I do think a tv should be placed above the fireplace, but that's simple.

memorial-union-interior-column.jpg

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hadn't noticed the screen there.  Do they congregate on the stairs to watch the tv there or what?

Yeah!  I think the black things are cushions.  Nobody is sitting on them in this screen shot, but probably only because the silhouettes are black. 

Actually, the black things are part of the stairs, and people sit in the middle like bleachers.

union 2.PNG

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah!  I think the black things are cushions.  But nobody is sitting on them in this screen shot.  But probably only because the silhouettes are black. 

union 2.PNG

Oh ok.  Kind of similar to the new med school stairs being used as a gathering space.  Anyone know if people actually sit there (in the med school)? 

0B4mGrQ-jaMMQWGNBTlhjVElabWs.jpg?itok=UE