SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few thoughts after the exhibition games.

The team did some good things in the Purdue game. Namely rebounding. Not many bright spots in the Indiana game, but team rebounding was fair in that game, except allowing Indiana 20 offensive rebounds. Part of that though is that they are Big 10 team.

Emmanuel Little had two very good games. In the two games he averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds. He was the brightspot in the Indiana game.

Turnovers were bad, especially against Purdue. I know they are Big 10 teams so they'll force more turnovers in a game against a team like the Sioux, but in the Purdue game alot of it was mental errors like lots of travelling calls and carrying the ball calls. They did improve alot in that area in the Indiana game.

Freethrows. Under 50% for the weekend. That is horrible. I don't care if they're playing against Jordan, Bird, Magic, Wilt, and Shaq, they gotta make more than half their free throws.

Definately a learning experience.

Some more thoughts about the two games. As far as TO's go against Purdue,it sounds like a point of emphasis this year is palming. It was called alot in the Purdue game and not so often taday. Either they cleaned up the problems or these refs were letting it slide. Personally I would really like to see that called until the players start dribbling the way they are supposed to dribble.

Also Coach Johnson and Coach Jones were very high on Gutter's offensive play. I guess he has made some big strides from last year. Now if he would start to rebound like the coaches say he does in practice we could have some kind inside game this year.

The only mystery about the week end, and maybe I missed something, is where is Boyce.

I can't wait to see the team play as I think they will put some excitement back in men's basketball.

The only mystery about the week end, and maybe I missed something, is where is Boyce.

I was thinking the same thing now that you mention it. I listened to the whole Purdue game and didn't hear any mention about him. I was in and out alot during the Indiana game so I could have missed that if anything was said.

The Sioux men are picked to finish 6th this season in the NCC media poll.

NCC Media Poll

1. Minnesota St.

2. St. Cloud St.

3. South Dakota

4. UM-Duluth

5. Augustana

6. North Dakota

7. Nebraska-Omaha

I saw Augie practice last Saturday. If they are picked 5, 6 is about right for us. Have to keep them all eligible from what I hear. Lose 2 or 3 and 7 will be more realistic.

The Sioux men are picked to finish 6th this season in the NCC media poll.

NCC Media Poll

1. Minnesota St.

2. St. Cloud St.

3. South Dakota

4. UM-Duluth

5. Augustana

6. North Dakota

7. Nebraska-Omaha

That looks about right. In terms of pure talent, I think UND would probably rate a little higher, but given the new system and the huge turnover in players compared to last year, it's really like starting from scratch this year. It sounds like Little and Boyce are very athletic, Gutter is apparently much-improved, and the Gutter-Koenig combo should mean UND won't be pushed around inside for the next couple of years. IF everybody returns next year, UND could be pretty good as only Kruse is a senior. In terms of this year, I'd be happy with finishing at around .500 in the NCC, which would probably be good for about 4th, but that may very well be overly optimistic.

NDSU 91 Idaho 76...I think NDSU will be favored against the Gophers....What do you think, would the Bison be favored by forty against the hapless Sioux??

I think the Bison can beat the Gophers in BB. What do you think can you get your pizzas deliverd faster than Pizza Hut?

well Winona State beat Minnesota so if ndsu beats them it wouldn't really be a big deal - they stole your "thunder" - SORRY :D Since this is a UND board, I'd rather talk about UND's prospects...

Your prospects should be to figure out how to beat mighty Mayville St.

The Sioux were actually losing by 7 with 7:56 to play and went on a 23-3 run to end the game. Losing to Crookston would not have been a good way to start the season. I also saw where UND gave up 15 offensive rebounds. I'm sure that is something that they will be working on this week. A win is a win, congrats on the win Sioux!!

The men lost tonight to CSP 76-72

Box Score

Koenig only played 8 minutes??

You can tell Koenig's knee is no where near close to 100%. Most people don't know that he had the same surgery done as Jason Kidd, Amare Stoudamire, and Kenyon Martin. Normal recovery time should be around 18 months. If he was even 80%, I think he could dominate division 2. They are a completely different team with Koenig in the lineup, he gives them a dominate low post threat. Without him though, they struggle! Coach played Tyler tonite as much as his knee would allow him to play.