SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Contract

bincitysioux

It would appear so.

The only game that doesn't conflict is UND vs. Winona, UMary plays a night game that night.

I don't think it matters much, as long as KXMR still broadcasts UND football games, which is why it was stupid for NDSU to break off negotiations with CC just because they couldn't get KFYR. KXMR is probably the second most powerful station in the state, trailing only KFYR.

I wonder if that means that Hockey will move over to KFYR? That would be a good thing for hockey fans.

Like I said:

If memory serves, wasn't Sioux Football on KFYR and Bison Football (under agreement with WDAY) on KXMR last season?

If CCND now has UMary Football, and because the Herald story on UND's contract specifically says UND Football is on KFYR, and because negotiations between CCND and NDSU broke off (down?), does that leave NDSU Bison Football as the "odd-man out" on those stations?

Given the choice, yes, KFYR is the better one to have. That low AM frequency goes places.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just surfing the web and saw on South Dakota State's site that seven different Jackrabbit sports can be heard on the radio in South Dakota, and the rights to each sport are split up between two separately owned broadcasting companies.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Broadcasts/Index.cfm

Perhaps this is what UND should have been doing. Offer the big draws of Hockey and Football together as a package, and M & W Basketball and Women's Hockey as a separte package. I know the Clear Channel network is great because it reaches so far, but Basketball games are on GF station 100.3 FM only. Good luck getting that if you're more than 25 miles away from Grand Forks.

The Jacks have broadcast deals for volleyball, soccer, softball, and baseball? That has to be captivating radio.

If UND were to "package" differently, I think you'd have to mix a "high want/high value" with a lower category.

However, to me, I think the most important thing for UND going forward is a larger Sioux Basketball radio network. Get coverage (even on FMs) beyond 40 miles of Grand Forks. It's that or get more games on FSSN. Expose the product.

In light of yesterday's announcement by UND regarding UND Athletics, a two-year radio contract (with an option third year) suddenly makes sense.

If you only knew then what you know now. ???

• 4 weeks later...