SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Contract

bincitysioux

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you listened to them both you would know that, they have the same news, commercials, etc........ :D

I listen to KFGO primarily now (AM at least) because they carry Sioux hockey. :D

If Sioux hockey were to move to a new station, I'd likely follow.

.... I feel clear channel does a great job and Tim and Swig do great at what they do. BUT it has been all about MONEY with Buning :D

Clear Channel is corporate. Leighton is local and employee-owned. I'd guess that CC (deeper corporate pockets) would be the one offering the larger up-front cash.

Owning and licensing the rights, UND can include a "we approve the announcer" clause in any deal. Repeat after me, "We want Tim."

Owning and licensing the rights, UND can include a "we approve the announcer" clause in any deal. Repeat after me, "We want Tim."

It wouldn't be the first time Tim and/or Swyg switched stations because of Sioux sports. IIRC they both worked for KNOX years ago and made another stop before arriving at Clear Channel.

Clear Channel is corporate. Leighton is local and employee-owned. I'd guess that CC (deeper corporate pockets) would be the one offering the larger up-front cash.

Last time when these two stations put in there bid Clear channel was out bid ,but Leighton could not give the small towns of ND the games. I heard that again Leighton came in higher ,but the question is can they cover all of ND. With UND in the red it may not be about taking care of the supporters, its all about the mighty DOLLAR. :D

Last time when these two stations put in there bid Clear channel was out bid ,but Leighton could not give the small towns of ND the games. I heard that again Leighton came in higher ,but the question is can they cover all of ND. With UND in the red it may not be about taking care of the supporters, its all about the mighty DOLLAR. :D

Maybe I'm missing something, but if it was only about "the mighty dollar," wouldn't the highest bidder have received the contract? :D

Maybe I'm missing something, but if it was only about "the mighty dollar," wouldn't the highest bidder have received the contract? :D

Rt at that time thought it was more important to take care of the fan, make sure they could listen to all sioux games.Mr Buning and the other hand needs to find a way to get back in the +.I hope that if Leighton gets the bid they can buy enough airtime from Clear Channel to get fan what they deserve. And if the fan in small town ND cannot hear the games it might be a rough road to get their financial support.

It will also make it a lot tougher to get the kids from small towns...especially for football....which we all know many UND great players have come from small ND and Minn towns....if UND isnt on their radio it will be like the Central Redskins....no one will remember it...when they go to college!!!!

Anyone know how profitable WDAZ-TV's broadcast of UND hockey games are? If the WDAY TV/radio loses NDSU sports, could Forum Communications be looking at adding UND hockey broadcasts to WDAY-TV and KBMY-TV (Bismarck) / KMCY-TV (Minot)? The WDAZ connection to WDAY/Forum Communications/NDSU was never ideal for UND, as it limited broadcast TV options to NE North Dakota.

IMO, UND either needs to dump WDAZ for NBC or Fox affiliates, or get all Forum stations on board.

I don't know if I agree with that. All the other affiliates are based in Fargo, just like Clear Channel. And unless it is game day, Clear Channel's radio coverage of UND is poor at best. I like the way WDAZ covers the Sioux.

Another benefit of associating with WDAZ-TV is the fact that it is carried on cable in Winnipeg & Southern Manitoba and is available in about 250,000 homes in addition to the 80,000 or so households it is in in North Dakota and Minnesota. I agree though that it would be optimal to get ForumComm's TV stations in Bismarck and Minot on board.

Another benefit of associating with WDAZ-TV is the fact that it is carried on cable in Winnipeg & Southern Manitoba and is available in about 250,000 homes in addition to the 80,000 or so households it is in in North Dakota and Minnesota. I agree though that it would be optimal to get ForumComm's TV stations in Bismarck and Minot on board.
That is a great point. The only North Dakota network broadcast channels Winnipeg cable picks up is WDAZ for ABC and KGFE for PBS. Otherwise, Winnipeg cable picks up Minneapolis stations, KARE for NBC and WCCO for CBS.

But Sioux hockey is also what could force Winnipeg cable to switch broadcasts. Imagine what it would be worth to the Fox (KVRR) or NBC (KVLY) local stations if Winnipeg cable switched their feeds (to get Sioux hockey)? That might be worth substantial advertising revenue for those stations.

They're saying on Bisonville.com that the reason NDSU cut off negotiations with Clear Channel was because they were told that KFYR would not be available to carry NDSU games. Why would that be? UND football has always been on KFYR, and according to that GF Herald article, will continue to be.

McFeeley's take on the radio contracts

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...=Mike%20McFeely

Those are the lessons the brain wizards in the NDSU athletic department should have learned as they shuffle back to WDAY, jockstraps in hand, to work out a broadcast deal to air the mighty Bison. The flirtations with Clear Channel are dead, mainly because that entity decided University of North Dakota hockey broadcasts are too profitable to let get away.

UND over NDSU? Hopefully a lesson in humility and certainly a slap in the face.