SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Presidents Meet on May 23rd

star2city

What will the Big Sky do on May23rd?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BSC expand? Which schools get added?

• No action. No schools will be added
    • Add three schools: UND, NDSU, SDSU
    • Add one school: NDSU
    • Add one school: SDSU
    • Add one school: Southern Utah
    • Study the situation

;):lol: Please take off your NDSU glasses and look at reality.

|

|

|

V

Are you really that proud of being called a "third tier" school. I don't know the ranking system, but I doubt that part of UND's recruiting pitch to potential students is going to be "and we're also a third teir instituition!!". When I think of third tier schools, I think of Northern (SD), Crookston, and the nsic. Not University of XXXXX schools.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice when people so helpfully sort themselves into those who ignore this demand and those who respect it -- it helps me sort those who can participate in a friendly topical discussion from those who just want to talk smack (and helps me put together the suspension list).

Anyone who wants to still be allowed to post here tomorrow would do well to reread it:

We seem to have gotten a bit afield from discussing Big Sky Presidents Meeting or UND's Division Classification. Please stop with the UND-NDSU athletes' academic performance smack (except where relevant to the discussion of division classification).

I have noticed that the talk of joining (or even being invited) the Big Sky has died down since the big "meetings" on the 23rd. Given the SU's latest round of rejections, how does UND feel about their chances at a BSC invite now? It has been made abundantly clear that without a DI declaration and sense of commitment, UND will not be considered for any DI conference invite. Buning probably knows and has accepted this. Has Kupchella? Have the alumni? Have the coaches? Have the posters here? If the Mid-Con invites the SU's to join this June, will that freeze UND out of any sort of conference affiliation for X amount of years? It is highly unlikely that the Sky will invite UND on a stand-alone basis. If the SU's go to the Mid-Con, UND is dead in the water. I personally like a 12 team Sky (6 team east/west or even morth/south division) but I don't see that happening. The BSC has proven themselves as talking both sides out of their collective mouths. The Mid-Con has cut to the chase. What now?

I have noticed that the talk of joining (or even being invited) the Big Sky has died down since the big "meetings" on the 23rd. Given the SU's latest round of rejections, how does UND feel about their chances at a BSC invite now? It has been made abundantly clear that without a DI declaration and sense of commitment, UND will not be considered for any DI conference invite. Buning probably knows and has accepted this. Has Kupchella? Have the alumni? Have the coaches? Have the posters here? If the Mid-Con invites the SU's to join this June, will that freeze UND out of any sort of conference affiliation for X amount of years? It is highly unlikely that the Sky will invite UND on a stand-alone basis. If the SU's go to the Mid-Con, UND is dead in the water. I personally like a 12 team Sky (6 team east/west or even morth/south division) but I don't see that happening. The BSC has proven themselves as talking both sides out of their collective mouths. The Mid-Con has cut to the chase. What now?

Great questions, and a very realistic outlook on the current situation! Although I would say that UND has a chance at the mid con if NDSU and SDSU go there too, although UND would likely have to wait several years during its transition to gain a spot in the conference. That also is a much tougher sell to alumni than the big sky would be. Going D-I without an actual football conference will be tough for UND to accomplish.

Yes they are legitmate questions. Given the frequent posts by many on this board regarding the Mid-Con I agree with aff that it will certainly be a tough sell and I'm not sure Kupchella will go for it given his comment in the past about the difference in DIAA and DII. I think he may have expected the three team expansion theory involving NDSU, SDSU and UND. The comment by Johnnyroyale about UND's chances at the BSC are in my opinion close to being correct except I would have stated No chance given the travel concerns brought up by the BSC. That along with the likelyhood that NDSU and SDSU will be in the Mid-Con leaves UND with no travel partner.

Great questions, and a very realistic outlook on the current situation! Although I would say that UND has a chance at the mid con if NDSU and SDSU go there too, although UND would likely have to wait several years during its transition to gain a spot in the conference. That also is a much tougher sell to alumni than the big sky would be. Going D-I without an actual football conference will be tough for UND to accomplish.

The one virtually sure bet, should UND move to D-1, is that the GWFC would like UND to join. Whether UND feels it's beneath them to join a fledgling, no auto bid conference is their choice. But out west, there are three choices in I-AA, Big Sky (max scheduled out), GWFC (Scrambling for more members), or the 12 school Southland (where 3 non-football schools are considering adding football again). Not much space except in one conference. And it even would have 2 bus trip games against long time rivals. This part to me, appears to be the weakest reason to not go D-I. Conference not there for the rest of the sports, yes, but no football conference that's available.