SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Presidents Meet on May 23rd

star2city

What will the Big Sky do on May23rd?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BSC expand? Which schools get added?

• No action. No schools will be added
    • Add three schools: UND, NDSU, SDSU
    • Add one school: NDSU
    • Add one school: SDSU
    • Add one school: Southern Utah
    • Study the situation

Nothing is clouded - just read the article and what it said. Those dii schools you are talking about are in the middle of DI conferences - different story in ND SD. Granted NDSU and SDSU getting into a conference will help UND and scsu if they want to join later on, but most of the UND posts here have been saying that UND will be asked either before NDSU or with NDSU and SDSU. This article pretty much tells a different story. You are right about one thing, never say never.

I do wonder with all the bad blood from the past if NDSU and SDSU get into a conference will it be such a good thing for UND? Especially NDSU and all that has happened with UND maybe its a better thing they have gone their seperate ways, I know many fans on both sides of the issue who are glad they don't play anymore. I think how UND approaches this and how the administration acts and has acted will definetly play a role in that process if it ever comes to that. Can't blame NDSU if they were to take the cautious approach if they are in a conference and UND decides to make the move and knocks on that conference door.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Actually agree with Tony!

BD:

Where have you ever seen it said UND will be asked before NDSU? Your dislike of UND is obviously affecting your reading comprehension. ???

Actually all the tales about UND moving to DI and BSC wanting UND is all **. Are you still thinking UND will make the move?

I also agree with tony. It's funny how Steve Hallstrom's blog about Fullerton saying that the BSC is interested in three schools in the Dakotas is blown off but Fullerton's latest talk is taken as Gospel truth. Whatever fits your agenda I guess.

Oh and the latest D2 school to be accepted into a D1 conference (just on Monday)... the University of South Carolina- Upstate. So they now join Kennesaw State, Central Arkansas, Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida, and Presbyterian as D2 schools that have recently found a conference before entering the provisional process.

Especially NDSU and all that has happened with UND maybe its a better thing they have gone their seperate ways, I know many fans on both sides of the issue who are glad they don't play anymore.

Who in the hell is glad that ndsu and UND dont play anymore? Are you serious? Both sides love that rivalry and miss it dearly. The two schools need each other whether they like to admit or not. Anybody who says otherwise is delusional, has sour grapes, and simply doesn't understand the rivalry that was/is.

Could there be two more contra-indicating factors than this,

Oh and the latest D2 school to be accepted into a D1 conference (just on Monday)... the University of South Carolina- Upstate. So they now join Kennesaw State, Central Arkansas, Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida, and Presbyterian as D2 schools that have recently found a conference before entering the provisional process.

and this,

"It

Especially NDSU and all that has happened with UND maybe its a better thing they have gone their seperate ways, I know many fans on both sides of the issue who are glad they don't play anymore.

Who in the hell is glad that ndsu and UND dont play anymore? Are you serious? Both sides love that rivalry and miss it dearly. The two schools need each other whether they like to admit or not. Anybody who says otherwise is delusional, has sour grapes, and simply doesn't understand the rivalry that was/is.

I'm just telling you that not everyone misses the rivalry. If you really believe as you say "Both sides love that rivarly and miss it dearly" then you are wrong. It doesn't have to be a person has sour grapes, delusional thinking or have a grasp on the old rivalry. You comment that "The two schools need each other whether they like to admit or not" is off target as well. NDSU is doing fine and I would say so is UND. Your views on the subject are clouded by your fervor to see the games between the two start again. Not everyone see's things as you would like to believe. I do know many in Fargo (can't really say the same about Grand Forks but have read a few posts by those who think different then you) that are just fine with the two schools going their seperate ways. I myself am fine with it as well and I have no sour grapes, I'm not delusional and I attended games in the past between the two and understood the rivalry NDSU does not need UND, things are going very well and I'm not saying I'm against UND but I certainly would disagree with your comment about the two needing each other.

Well with this news NDSU and SDSU are pretty much a shoe in for the MID-CON, don't see the BSC being able to do anything quick enough to stop that. Not sure what that means for UND. Check it out.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../AON4020515.htm

What Valpo to the Horizon does: practically forces the MidCon to accept IPFW for the 2007-8 season. They are practically the only DI eligible school available for that year, unless they accept UTPA. The MidCon will also need to add at least one more team, maybe two, so yes, NDSU and SDSU's chances improve. This also puts major pressure on the Big Sky to make a decision Tuesday on any Dakota expansion. The Big Sky could practically cripple the MidCon's autobid (and practically destroy the MidCOn) if the Sky took in Southern Utah now.

SIOUX - Answer to conference question right there!!!! Mid-con/GWFC.

I don't see that as an answer, number one they said no move up without conference invite in hand.

Second even with the GWFC it doesn't answer the other questions about other sports and a conference. The Mid-Con if NDSU, SDSU and IPUFW would fill it out at 10. Where is that an answer to their conference question?

What Valpo to the Horizon does: practically forces the MidCon to accept IPFW for the 2007-8 season. They are practically the only DI eligible school available for that year, unless they accept UTPA. The MidCon will also need to add at least one more team, maybe two, so yes, NDSU and SDSU's chances improve. This also puts major pressure on the Big Sky to make a decision Tuesday on any Dakota expansion. The Big Sky could practically cripple the MidCon's autobid (and practically destroy the MidCOn) if the Sky took in Southern Utah now.

I think that may be wishful thinking on your part. For starters the Big Sky has continually said no to SUU. Second the Big Sky does not have to make a move at all if they didn't want to and they have shown that propensity in the past. To force the schools to deal with a 9 team league wouldn't suprise me at all. They can sit on the sidelines and just wait and see what happens after the dust settles. There are way to many vairables that one could sit and speculate all you want. The one thing that seems certain is that with Valpo out of the Mid-Con they are certain to add schools just how many and which ones will remain to be seen but it would appear to be good for NDSU and SDSU. If the sky wants to add a school later they always can put out the invite to a prospective school. But if NDSU and SDSU get into the Mid-Con not to sure what the other options for them would be at this time. I just don't see the Big Sky presidents acting so quickly, I'm pretty certain they didn't see this coming to a head this quickly. I think they figured the SU's would be here when they were ready to act. It's looking like that thinking may have been very much flawed.

I don't see that as an answer, number one they said no move up without conference invite in hand.

Second even with the GWFC it doesn't answer the other questions about other sports and a conference. The Mid-Con if NDSU, SDSU and IPUFW would fill it out at 10. Where is that an answer to their conference question?

Grow to 12 with Utah Valley St as SUU travel partner, add in UND also. Grow GWFC to 6, and possibly convince Western Ill (mid-con member) to join GWFC in '08/'10. BTW, I still think that this would leave potential expansion room for other current NCC members to move up in future.

The Big Sky could practically cripple the MidCon's autobid (and practically destroy the MidCOn) if the Sky took in Southern Utah now.

The Big Sky won't add SUU because it has very poor academics, poor athletics that are underfunded, the school is hard to get to, and the Montana schools would flip if they were brought in. The last thing the Big Sky would want to do is drive it's most important team to the IA and the WAC.

Grow to 12 with Utah Valley St as SUU travel partner, add in UND also. Grow GWFC to 6, and possibly convince Western Ill (mid-con member) to join GWFC in '08/'10. BTW, I still think that this would leave potential expansion room for other current NCC members to move up in future.

Agian all specultation. Time will tell but I don't see this as a good thing for UND if they decide to take the plunge. If they stay DII it won't matter, If I was a betting man I think kupchella is saying DII looks pretty good right now.

Simple observations (not trying to start nothin'):

Based on what UND sponsors today (except for M/W hockey),

- in womens sports,

--it exactly matches the Mid-Continent offerings

- in mens sports,

-- UND offers football, Mid-Con does not

-- Mid-Con offers soccer and tennis, UND does not

A-Sun conference has added 4 schools from D-2 in last two years. None of these are well-known schools, and no power. Fl. Gulf Coast had trouble finding ANY conference, and they ended up in A-Sun because they were actively looking for additional schools. Level playing field as virtually growing A-Sun together.

UND could approach mid-con now, and make the case to join as a affiliate member now with full membership after transition, very equivalent footing as Utah Valley St., IMHO. GWFC would welcome UND very quickly.

A-Sun conference has added 4 schools from D-2 in last two years. None of these are well-known schools, and no power. Fl. Gulf Coast had trouble finding ANY conference, and they ended up in A-Sun because they were actively looking for additional schools. Level playing field as virtually growing A-Sun together.

UND could approach mid-con now, and make the case to join as a affiliate member now with full membership after transition, very equivalent footing as Utah Valley St., IMHO. GWFC would welcome UND very quickly.

Why would the mid con offer UND right now? Why would they want UND as an affiliate member? What benefit would it give the conference? An extra trip up to the Dakotas to play a non-counter? Man, I bet their on the edge of their seat praying for UND. Its too bad the conference doesn't think in terms of what would be best for UND. Sorry guys, but your only shot at being D-I with no transition to go through as an indy was with a twelve member big sky, and that isn't going to happen.

The indiana school and the dakotas are going to be added immediately. The dakota schools will assist in two years with maintaining the autobid. UND's next chance for the conference will be when centenary finally drops out of D-I. By that time I'm guessing that the two SU's will be trying to get into the Missouri Valley, to once again leave UND a step behind. If I was a booster for UND, I would be pissed right now. Kuppy has just put you on track to be second fiddle for the next 20-30 years in athletics, unless you care about hockey.

The big sky won't add any schools during their next expansion. The western part won't be able to afford a trip to fargo or brookings, especially with rising fuel costs.

I didn't see any reference to this article in this thread, sorry if I missed it. In any case, the point is still valid. UND supporters have been trumpeting "secret meetings" and all sorts of speculation. All of which appears to have existed only in their own imaginations.

Show me where a UND fan has "trumpeted" "secret meetings". Go ahead and show me. Are you sure you're not talking about the guy from the DII Football website? I've seen some of your fine work on bisonville. Your ignorant blanket accusations might feed the frenzy of morons on that particular site, but it doesn't work here. And if you can't refrain from statements such as that, then stay away.

Show me where a UND fan has "trumpeted" "secret meetings". Go ahead and show me. Are you sure you're not talking about the guy from the DII Football website? I've seen some of your fine work on bisonville. Your ignorant blanket accusations might feed the frenzy of morons on that particular site, but it doesn't work here. And if you can't refrain from statements such as that, then stay away.

You seem to be the one getting upset, not me. I think it is valid to point out that there has been a great deal of speculation about there being some sort of deal in place to bring UND into the Big Sky, for instance, and that that deal probably did not exist outside of the imaginations of those who may have wished that it was true. Do you disagree?