SiouxSports.com Forum

The REST of the season

dagies

I thought the team played much better Saturday night than Friday.  For the first game, they had zero intensity.  Most of the shots

on goal were really just dump ins or floaters, or so it looked to me.  That night, we buried the only hard shot we had (Ryan Connelly's goal). Anyone else surprise that Blais didn't take a timeout?   Saturday, the boys showed some fire.  By all rights we should have buried that road team, especially THAT road team, given the length of the road from Anchorage to Grand Forks.

Historically, the Seawolves had never won in Grand Forks, a much publicized statistic which you just knew was gonna bite us in the butt.   I remember their legs turning to jelly by the third period almost every game I'd seen them play here.  Clearly, this isn't your father's Anchorage team.  That little speed demon Cygan reminded me of David Hoogsteen, darting around and skating in and out of the big boys like they were redwood trees.  We have to give that team its due; Anchorage deserved the three points they took from us.  

• 2 weeks later...
"I would say the team knows the importance of these last 10 games," Blais said. "Fifth place is still within reach. But to get it started, who are we kidding, we need to go into Michigan Tech this weekend and beat them twice."

An ideal scenario for UND would be for the Sioux to sweep their four remaining games with Michigan Tech and two from Minnesota-Duluth, the teams below them in the standings. Then if the Sioux could split against league powers Minnesota and Denver in the other four games, they'd finish 8-2 over their last 10 games, which might be good enough to put them in fifth place.

"An 8-2 mark would be a strong, strong finish," Blais said, "and I don't think anybody would be looking forward to meeting us in the playoffs."

Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but this is Blais quote from the Herald today.

It all starts with ONE game.  Tonite.

Let's take care of business.

Goon, i was making fun of myself.  I started this thread then had to admit I basically knew nothing about what I was talking about.  A bit earlier on this thread I said from here on I was taking it one game at a time.  But Blais had this quote so I thought it would be ok to post it and agree with it.

;)

The REST of the season:

Blais STILL thinks his team can finish 5th.  Can you believe it?  You gotta love the will to win!

UND has an agreeable stretch to close out the regular season.  If they can ride the Bayda - Skarperud - Bochenski combo to their potential, things will happen Skarperud has really busted out as of late.  He's playing like the Senior he wishes he wasn't in his Junior year.

Go Sioux.

It will be a big boost of the first line can produce like tonite, but they need a consistent stepped up effort by the whole team like they got tonite from everyone, including goaltending.  Then they have a chance to get on a roll.

For now, let's work on the next game.  One game at a time!

I think UND is at the point where Bayda, Skarperud and someone can compete with any other first line in the league, save perhaps Hartigan, Dicasmirro and someone.

But I think the key to success down the stretch is to get Spiewak, Notermann and Lundbohm going.  They were together down the stretch last year and were very dangerous.  I like them back together now and they had four? points between them last night.

Then you can throw out some exciting talent and energy for the third and fourth lines and I like it.

I also was happy to see the Notermann/Lundbohm/Spiewak combination reunited. They were the best line on the ice in the season opener against Minnesota, but they haven't had a chance to play together consistently through the season. Lundbohm's playmaking skills may be just what Notermann and Spiewak need to become more productive offensively.

There's no doubt that the Sioux have found a "real" first line. Bochenski has been fantastic since Blais sat him down (rightfully) against Alaska. Skarperud has been a man on a mission. It is truly unfortunate that he lost a year of eligibility. I remember Notermann, Spiewak, and Skarperud playing their first games as freshmen against the Canadian National team. They were buzzing like crazy--possibly the best line on the ice. At the time, I never would have predicted that Tim would be the most productive offensive player of the three--but he could always shoot the puck!  I still think that Notermann and Spiewak have the ability to turn it up a notch or two on the offensive end.

I think we're now seeing evidence of significant improvement in this team. Goaltending has been mostly solid. All seven of the defensemen are becoming more consistent. Special teams are much better. Back checking is better. I'd still like to see more sustained intensity on the forecheck. We see it in short spurts.

Let's Go Sioux!

Hopefully the Spiewak, Lundbohm, Notermann line can carry some mo. into the MN series.  I think Notermann had about 4 points this weekend, including a goal.  Good reward for his hard work.

One game at a time.  Next up, MN.  I think it was big to sweep this team and have a confident feeling going into the home series with MN.  But we need also to be realistic.  This sounds awfully arrogant, being we were only one place on top of them in the standings, but this is Tech we are talking about sweeping here.

But let's take the positive and build on it! ;)

I just hope the Golden Gophers play Hauser in one of the games in Grand Forks. Hauser, well he looked like the ussual Hauser, in other words, He looked horrible on Friday night.  With Hauser ;) in net the Gophers are very beatable, with Weber in net (which UND is 0-2 against) they look tougher. :eek:

The Golden Gophers dismantled Denver last night, and old fashion @$$ whooping. Actually after watching the Denver Denver Pioneers (In other words they are a cleaner, more talent version of Wisconsin) they are definately a clutch and grab, clogg up the neutral zone, hang on to the shooter down low and hope you don't get called for a penalty type scheme. Denver is also a team that goes into a defensive shell, they are good at it too. They get great goaltending. However, they are beatable as well. Swarm the net... We all know what a one game playoff can do, goalie has a bad night it is all done for the year and I suppect that could be their demise this season.

Denver, really didn't impress me that is past weekend. Denver looked a lot like MSU Spartan team of last year. We all know what skating teams like UND can do to teams like the Sparts. Lots of skating in the neutral zone.

But I see the resembulance since denvers coach (no way in He!! I can spell his name) was a Ron Mason assistant for many years, according to Village Idiot Doug Woog.

I'm still in awe over this quote from the Saturday GF Herald:

"Jon Casey was probably our last goalie that knew the game as well as Jake does." -- Dean Blais

The 'Jake' is Jake Brandt.

Since Casey (who I do think was the best of them at knowing and anticipating play) I come up with Brower (rest in peace, Scotty), Belfour, Schweitzer, and Goehring as netminders that seemed to know what was going to happen next and just got there first.

That is very big pat on the back to Jake.

Goon: Just call him Coach Gwoz.

I am cheered to hear Blais talk about the Sioux "running the table" over the remainder of the season

YaneA, for those of us who could not listen in, tell us more about this quote.     ;)

Thanks!

Sicatoka, I agree, I caught that and was very surprised with that comment.  And happy.   ;)

The "running the table" quote came from Blais either in the radio pregame on Saturday or the postgame--can't

remember which.  I think he's labelled that as an aspiration, rather than a goal, the goal remaining home ice for the

playoffs.  As many have pointed out, here and elsewhere, maybe home ice is no advantage to us this year.

While this has undoubtedly been Blais' toughest coaching job since taking the helm, I don't think you can call this his best coaching season UNLESS they DO run the table, which is highly unlikely.  That or win the Final Five and make the regional playoffs.  Something they are not expected to do.

Otherwise, this season will be remembered as little more than a painful rebuilding year where teams like 'Kato and UAA kicked our butts at home! ;)

Anyway, the time for assessing Dean's coaching this season will be in two months.  First, let's take care of those rodents!

Go Sioux.  Crush the varmints!