SiouxSports.com Forum

Sorry Sioux Fans......Babich is leaving!!!!!!

WYOBISONMAN

Any time you try and predict it's tough, especially when your trying to predict the future! You can make educated guesses. I dont think too many people are looking at the NDSU signees saying the class doesn't look good, especially for our future. It was a perfect recruiting year!

By the looks of things we may have that prestigious "Golden Arm" locked up for years to come. It's an award the NDSU QBs have dominated since its inception!

The problem with Babich really seemed to center around the rentention of the players he recruited. He seemed to be good a recruiting (this year seems to be his best) but keeping the guys on the roster playing for him was another story. In the end it translated to no depth on the roster and the meltdown we saw this past year after a few injuries.

As to the ultimate success of a particular class of recruits, it probably takes five years (assuming you red shirt) to get the total picture, but I think in three we should have a real good idea just how good they are. On paper this is a tremendous class of recruits for NDSU and my hat is off to Babich for such a great year recruiting. It is amazing to me that he was able to get these top quality players despite the showing last year and the fact that all new the coaching situation was "unsettled" to say the least. My guess is these guys wanted to play for NDSU and the fact that the program is going D1AA probably also helped a great deal. I hope that NDSU gets a coach who is able to recruit as well as retain players and bring back the winning tradition. There certaintly seems to be the raw material in this class to rebuild.

We are still recruiting with the same number of scholarships as UND....

That's technically true, but it's safe to assume that at least for the better recruits NDSU signed the deal was that for one year they'd get a partial with more money to come the following year once there's more scholarship money available.

It would probably be a little more accurate to compare NDSU's recruiting class to UNC's or maybe SDSU's rather than to other NCC schools whose exit from the league isn't imminent and who couldn't make a similar promise regarding increased scholarship money in the near future. With that being said, I'm quite satisfied with UND's recruiting class. Time will tell.

I agree that this will be an interesting year watching how a "Lennon" team does. Maybe us Bison fans are gun shy after seeing how the coach has fouled up some strong potential by a lack of development and a lack of depth on the roster. It is a hole that will take some digging before we are out.

Mory00,

I'll give you a little insight as to why recruits chose NDSU. IAA football receives more national exposure than D2, and NDSU has placed a few players in the NFL recently. Personally, I'd rather have a better chance at the NFL than a national championship if I was playing. As witnessed by the MAI(Myron Allen Incident), many college athletes are more concerned about playing at the next level.

I believe the Lennon comment referred to UND moving to IAA before Lennon moves on. :)

Mory00

UND92,96 Posted: Feb 5 2003, 06:10 PM

"Lennon came to Winnipeg and had dinner at the Alexander household. He also told his recruit that the blueprints for an indoor practice facility have been drawn up and a move up to Division I could happen within the next three years."