SiouxSports.com Forum

Adding seats to the Alerus and Sioux DI football...

Bison101

and that's exactly the reason GT isn't interested in a Sioux/Bison game right now! Buning called him about renewing the rivalry after he got hired...Response was...for the bison it "might HURT them! :) " All you guys wanted was a game during your transitional year! (to have at least 1 decent gate!) :lol: ) Sure - we could have played back then and then you would have thrown us away like a used kleenex...sorry...UND will NEVER be your bitch! ;)

sorry...UND will NEVER be your bitch! :lol:

;) since when has NDSU asked UND to be its bitch? This whole topic is so out of hand. -----NDSU went division one. A decision they made as a University. Doesn't have anything to do with UND. Sure, NDSU-UND games have been a huge part of the tradition for both schools. NDSU asked UND to continue the rivalry.....UND TURNED THEM DOWN. And understandably so. Who wants to play your rival with an un-level playing field? I am not faulting them for that. Since then, NDSU has enjoyed great success at the DI ranks considering. As a Bison fan, the level of competition especially on the football field has been tremendous. And for UND, hey they have a women's basketball team who is 32-0. Very impressive. Both universities are experiencing great success in their respective divisions. I don't understand why people can't see that. Just recognize what both schools are doing. There will always be animosity between the schools because that is what made the rivalry so great in the past. But when you start saying things like...." UND will NEVER be your bitch!"...c'mon. Bison and Sioux fans need to enjoy what is going on with their teams. Both have a lot to be excited for.

Then why is UND chicken to come back and play?

Last I heard, Bunning offered and Gene Taylor's response was "They've made their bed, now they have to sleep in it."

I still can't see why UND is exploring the move to DI when nothing has changed for them since the Bison moved up.

Several things have changed.

1)When NDSU moved up they had no conference even remotely lined up, they were flying blind. Last year the commissioner of the Big Sky visited UND and invited them to submit the infamous inquiry letter for possible future membership, the same one that NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and SUU submitted. That is an expression of interest.

2)Former NCC school Northern Colorado has been accepted to the Big Sky. Perhaps expansion to the east that would include playoff ineligable schools is not out of the question.

3)Since moving to DI, SDSU football attendance has increased by ~33% and NDSU football attendance has increased by ~18%. I'm sure the administration would like to see that happen at UND.

4)Great West FB Conference. This didn't exist when the other schools moved up. If an invite to an established conference is not in the fold, UND will gain immediate acceptance into the GWFC for the sport that will benefit most from a DI move, because they need members.

5)The DAC-10. UMARY has moved up and Minot St and the rest of the conference is leaning toward doing the same. It doesn't sit well with either the administration or especially the alumni to think about being associated as competitors with this conference.

6)Roger Thomas said from the beginning that "we'll see how it goes for NDSU and SDSU." I'll be the first to admit that it hasn't gone too bad for either of them. SDSU has had some real good schools on both the fb and bb schedules, NDSU has done well in football. I'm sure the win over Wisco opened the eys of many UND supporters that want to resume the rivalry, myself included.

7)St. Cloud State. They've expressed interest in moving up to DI.

8)The NCC. I think alot of people assumed that quality schools like Winona St., Nebraska-Kearney, etc. would have been banging on the door to get into the NCC. That hasn't happened. The future of the NCC is bleak.

;) since when has NDSU asked UND to be its bitch? This whole topic is so out of hand. -----NDSU went division one. A decision they made as a University. Doesn't have anything to do with UND. Sure, NDSU-UND games have been a huge part of the tradition for both schools. NDSU asked UND to continue the rivalry.....UND TURNED THEM DOWN. And understandably so. Who wants to play your rival with an un-level playing field? I am not faulting them for that. Since then, NDSU has enjoyed great success at the DI ranks considering. As a Bison fan, the level of competition especially on the football field has been tremendous. And for UND, hey they have a women's basketball team who is 32-0. Very impressive. Both universities are experiencing great success in their respective divisions. I don't understand why people can't see that. Just recognize what both schools are doing. There will always be animosity between the schools because that is what made the rivalry so great in the past. But when you start saying things like...." UND will NEVER be your bitch!"...c'mon. Bison and Sioux fans need to enjoy what is going on with their teams. Both have a lot to be excited for.

I agree. Fans of both schools should be excited.

Last I heard, Bunning offered and Gene Taylor's response was "They've made their bed, now they have to sleep in it."

Several things have changed.

1)When NDSU moved up they had no conference even remotely lined up, they were flying blind. Last year the commissioner of the Big Sky visited UND and invited them to submit the infamous inquiry letter for possible future membership, the same one that NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and SUU submitted. That is an expression of interest.

2)Former NCC school Northern Colorado has been accepted to the Big Sky. Perhaps expansion to the east that would include playoff ineligable schools is not out of the question.

3)Since moving to DI, SDSU football attendance has increased by ~33% and NDSU football attendance has increased by ~18%. I'm sure the administration would like to see that happen at UND.

4)Great West FB Conference. This didn't exist when the other schools moved up. If an invite to an established conference is not in the fold, UND will gain immediate acceptance into the GWFC for the sport that will benefit most from a DI move, because they need members.

5)The DAC-10. UMARY has moved up and Minot St and the rest of the conference is leaning toward doing the same. It doesn't sit well with either the administration or especially the alumni to think about being associated as competitors with this conference.

6)Roger Thomas said from the beginning that "we'll see how it goes for NDSU and SDSU." I'll be the first to admit that it hasn't gone too bad for either of them. SDSU has had some real good schools on both the fb and bb schedules, NDSU has done well in football. I'm sure the win over Wisco opened the eys of many UND supporters that want to resume the rivalry, myself included.

7)St. Cloud State. They've expressed interest in moving up to DI.

8)The NCC. I think alot of people assumed that quality schools like Winona St., Nebraska-Kearney, etc. would have been banging on the door to get into the NCC. That hasn't happened. The future of the NCC is bleak.

I agree. Fans of both schools should be excited.

I also agree...and apologize and I'll amend that to..."UND will never be your date" :lol:

• 1 month later...
Justwanted you guys to know that it sounds like your new AD has his head screwed on straight. Making the Alerus a 15,000 plus facility is crucial for the future of your program. The perfect scenario for both No-dak schools is to get into the Big SKy. There has been rumors for years that some big Sky members have DI aspirations. Perhaps at a later date this could be looked at for its future core members. UND, NDSU, ISU, MU, MSU.... Anyways that is speculation. Just glad to see he is upgrading facilities and having the infastructure in place before they (you) make the move.

Interesting that Idaho is planning to convert its Kibbie Dome into a horseshoe by knocking out the walls on one end:

The University of Idaho is working on plans to expand the Kibbie Dome and build an events center, athletic director Rob Spear said.

Preliminary plans call for the west-end wall of the Kibbie Dome to be knocked out to make room for 6,000-7,000 new end zone seats. Adjacent to those new seats would be a 5,000-6,000-seat events center, which would house men's and women's basketball as well as campus events. The events center would be connected to the Dome, but would essentially be a stand-alone facility for basketball, Spear said. It would extend west toward the Dan O'Brien outdoor track and field complex.

Spokane Spokesman-Review