SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

Obviously 15-1 and 7-7 are complete hypothetical scenarios, nobody knows who's gonna be in charge of the team and what kind of effect it will have on them....but you missed the point. The examples that were given by ESPNInsider were to point out that if Randall is given the chance that he deserves, AND produces--all of you (most posters expressing their disapproval) would be seated comfortably on the Herbst bandwagon. All this really boils down to is that you want your beloved Sioux to START WINNING, right?. So.....who's to say that Randall's not your guy? I get the idea that he should be partially to blame for the misfortunes up to this point. However--to have the NCC player of the year that many times, along with a damn good supporting cast each year, and continue to underachieve season after season....there's only one person who should be wearing the dunce hat.

Some close sources say that Randall has some entirely different styles and beliefs about how to play the game of basketball. Isn't that exactly what everyone wants? Change? Why does he have to be "thrown under the bus" along with Rich and his philosophies? Although it all seems to make perfect sense, you can't put Herbst at fault for what has happened with the men's BB team. A team could have the best assistant that college basketball has seen, and it wouldn't mean SQUAT if the players didn't want to play for and/or respect the Head Coach (which is what I've heard happened in this situation). Herbst has the respect of the players, and as I mentioned before--he'd bring a new look and new ideas to the gymnasium.

I really think you guys should give the man a chance!

You make some very good points. I know that Randall would do some things much differently and probably very effectively. I just think there should be a national search and we hire the best candidate. If that is Randall, great. If not, I would hope that we decided on a better candidate. I do think, however, that with people being down on the program, an outside applicant will likely be chosen.

That being said, some of you on this board will remember when Gino Gasparini was hired as our hockey coach. A lot of big names had applied. Most fans were very disappointed when Gino was chosen over some big name, nationally-known coaches. They didn't like the fact that we promoted as assistant who was part of an unsuccessful program. Gino quickly proved that this was a good decision - Randall may do the same!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes down to wins and losses. If Herbst is hired, all the rercruits do end up coming (should be a great class) and the team starts winning you will see more and more people in the stands. Or do you think if the team is 15-1 and rolling over teams people will file out of the arena saying "if only Craig Smith were coaching, then I'ld stay"

Or maybe you think that if Smith is hired, he loses many of the recruits for this season, but is 7-7, the gym will be packed and the kids will be holding "Craig Smith for President" signs at the games.

Herbst has put in his time with the program, maybe they had some tough times while he was here, but he also deserves a shot to run the team himself, using HIS plays, HIS styles, HIS decisions, HIS recruiting. He deserves a shot, whether it be a short contract to give the school options, he deserves a shot.

...don't ask where I've been, my computer had an extremely bad virus

Perhaps your computer should have stayed crashed!!!! So your saying....he has had no influence in the program in the last 5 years??? He does deserve a shot...but perhaps not the way he is going about it....

Perhaps your computer should have stayed crashed!!!! So your saying....he has had no influence in the program in the last 5 years??? He does deserve a shot...but perhaps not the way he is going about it....

I am curious - what do you mean by "how he is going about it"?

Bottom line is Glas needs to make a decision, it is to not doing anyone any good for him to leave this situation hanging out there. He needs to make a choice NOW.

In my opinion no way do you hire from within, I agree with the assesment that there would be such a short time line for success from within that it wouldn't be good for anyone.

Let's go find the best young up and commer they are out there and with the facilities and fan support this is and or could be a great job to spring board someones future.

Bottom line is Glas needs to make a decision, it is to not doing anyone any good for him to leave this situation hanging out there. He needs to make a choice NOW.

In my opinion no way do you hire from within, I agree with the assesment that there would be such a short time line for success from within that it wouldn't be good for anyone.

Let's go find the best young up and commer they are out there and with the facilities and fan support this is and or could be a great job to spring board someones future.

I tend to believe that he has made his decision and is working with Buning and Kupchella on timing for the announcement of that decision. Glas does not strike me as the kind of person who would prolong things unnecessarily. It also helps that the offer on the other end is Jacobson, someone who can delay his announced selection knowing that Glas is coming

Not that I'm in the know, but there has to be a lot going on in the background with classfication committee and thus the delay.

The classification thing can't really be that close to being done and either way the Glas decision needs to be made so that the program can move forward instead of just treading water.

For a young upwardly striving coach D2 or a DI going through transition I think would be very similar in who would be interested in the job.

Herbst might make a fine head coach for someone somewhere down the line, but in my opinion it is time to clean house and start over with a whole new regime. UND has done well hiring former assistants (Lennon, Hakstol) in the past but the obvious difference is that the basketball program hasn't had much recent success. Sometimes change just for the sake of change can be a good thing. :lol:

It seems to me there are some parallels between the current men's basketball situation, and the volleyball situation when Maria Bruggeman resigned. Both programs have had their share of struggles in recent years. Bruggeman's assistant Jason Holt applied for, and was apparently a finalist for the head coaching job, but obviously didn't get it. That certainly doesn't prove that Herbst won't get the job, but it may provide some insight into Buning's feelings about promoting an assistant when the program is seemingly underachieving.

The classification thing can't really be that close to being done and either way the Glas decision needs to be made so that the program can move forward instead of just treading water.

For a young upwardly striving coach D2 or a DI going through transition I think would be very similar in who would be interested in the job.

What about this as a scenario?

The "D1 decision" is far from having been made. At the earliest it may be a year down the road. Therefore ... Herbst is given a 1-year interim job whereby he:

1. Gets a year to show his stuff

2. An in depth full fledge coaching search is done in conjunction with the timing of the "D1 decision".

3. Herbst fills out this years recruiting class since he already is the primary recruiter.

It seems to me there are some parallels between the current men's basketball situation, and the volleyball situation when Maria Bruggeman resigned. Both programs have had their share of struggles in recent years. Bruggeman's assistant Jason Holt applied for, and was apparently a finalist for the head coaching job, but obviously didn't get it. That certainly doesn't prove that Herbst won't get the job, but it may provide some insight into Buning's feelings about promoting an assistant when the program is seemingly underachieving.

And it was announced that Jason Holt resigned. Link

I know this isn't the subject of this thread, but I wonder if it will have an effect on the volleyball team, like the Herald article that mentions the effect Glas leaving would have on incoming basketball recruits.

There are some similaries in those scenarios, but there is one glaring difference. Holt's players did not endorse him as the person they hoped would get the job to the administration. Herbst's have already endorsed him to the administration.

There are some similaries in those scenarios, but there is one glaring difference. Holt's players did not endorse him as the person they hoped would get the job to the administration. Herbst's have already endorsed him to the administration.

I'm sure the opinions of the players might carry a bit more weight if they were coming off a 25 win season rather than a 13-15 season, but it will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure. From purely a self-preservation standpoint, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they'd back Herbst. He recruited most of them, and they know where they would stand with him.

What about this as a scenario?

The "D1 decision" is far from having been made. At the earliest it may be a year down the road. Therefore ... Herbst is given a 1-year interim job whereby he:

1. Gets a year to show his stuff

2. An in depth full fledge coaching search is done in conjunction with the timing of the "D1 decision".

3. Herbst fills out this years recruiting class since he already is the primary recruiter.

This is exactly the point that I was trying to make earlier in this thread. You want to do a nation-wide search to find "super coach," go right ahead (whom by the way, if you bring this guy in next year and he "poops the bed" at the DII level--what's gonna happen when/if we make the jump?) So in the meantime, while you're looking for "Mr. Right," why not give Randall a year to show that he's capable of doing the things that you're all looking for; he's paid his dues.

The only thing similar about the volleyball/basketball coaching scenarios is that the assistants want(ed) to be promoted, and are/were experiencing major resistance....that's it. Holt was no more qualified to head coach that team than I was. He may have had the X's & O's knowledge to coach at that level, but that's only a small piece of the pie. The biggest thing, as Corella mentioned; Herbst has the support of the players, Holt did not. These kids WANT to play for this guy. What more of a motivational factor to do you need to get the kids excited about basketball again? You guys that played sports should know the importance of having someone you respect, and want to win for at the helm.

Who asked for this endorsement...and how did this take place?? Holt definitely tried to gain their endorsement.... some similarities perhaps???

Who asked for this endorsement...and how did this take place?? Holt definitely tried to gain their endorsement.... some similarities perhaps???

The players wrote a letter to the administration without the knowledge of Randall so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. The players who are currently on the roster want Randall to coach, a couple of the players who are about to sign are waiting until they hear some info before they sign. I don't see any reason not to give him the shot he deserves.

Like I said before give him a short contract and let him prove what he can do, afterall, he's stuck with the program through these trying times and turned down great offers from other schools because he believes that he can do something special with the program here. Randall truly believes that the program can, and should be a top-level program in the country like our football and hockey programs. He wants to get it there as much as anyone else and that's a major reason why he's turned down other jobs. He realizes what a great school we have, and that the school deserves to have a basketball program that parrallels that of the other sports here.

Like I said before give him a short contract and let him prove what he can do, afterall, he's stuck with the program through these trying times and turned down great offers from other schools because he believes that he can do something special with the program here. Randall truly believes that the program can, and should be a top-level program in the country like our football and hockey programs. He wants to get it there as much as anyone else and that's a major reason why he's turned down other jobs. He realizes what a great school we have, and that the school deserves to have a basketball program that parrallels that of the other sports here.
With Jacobson wanting Glas for his basketball operations experience (supposedly everything but what happens on the court), and McDermott having praised Glas for all Glas tought him about handling issues off-the-court, it seems glaringly apparent that Glas' strengths and weaknesses are rather well understood. Why wasn't Herbst been able to convince Glas to cede him on-court strategy responsibilities, and let Glas deal with bigger picture issues? If Herbst has major differences with Glas in strategy, why did Herbst stay in a position where he couldn't even further refine these strategies? If Herbst has never been able to implement his ideas in the time he's been here, why in the world would Buning hire Herbst over someone with a winning proven philosophy?

With Glas not exactly having the best reputation from a tactical standpoint, why would Herbst not have taken an offer from other schools if it gave him an opportunity to prove himself? Doesn't that call into question Herbst' judgement? If Herbst had left and proven himself at another school, Herbst would be a prime candidate now. If Herbst was an understudy in a successful basketball program (e.g. UNI), I can understand staying, but UND has seemingly underperformed for two decades.

These questions are not meant as a knock on Herbst, but they deserve answers.

When Ben was assistant here they had 1 good season. Would the fans be asking for Ben back then? He really hasn't proved any thing and yet is being given a great opportunity. And I hope he succeeds. I think Randall deserves an opportunity on a very short leash. If he can turn it around great. if he can't he'll be the first guy to admit it and move on.

When Ben was assistant here they had 1 good season. Would the fans be asking for Ben back then? He really hasn't proved any thing and yet is being given a great opportunity. And I hope he succeeds. I think Randall deserves an opportunity on a very short leash. If he can turn it around great. if he can't he'll be the first guy to admit it and move on.

If you ask me he proved himself as an assistant at UNI. Look at their recruiting and NCAA tourney appearances. Very different situation than what is going on here. I understand why people would not be on his band wagon.

Although I also don't think we should immediately dismiss the idea idea of letting him be interim coach for a year. Or if hired only give him a 2 or 3 year contract to let him prove himself. That way if a move to DI happens, it leaves our options open.

Would Ben have gotten the UNI job had they been coming off several so-so (or worse) seasons in a row? Highly unlikely. I'd like to hear some answers to the questions posed by star2city. Even if somehow a person were going to buy into the whole theory that Herbst should be considered blameless for the team's poor performance the past few years, he shouldn't get a free pass with regard to the sub-par recruiting.

Waterloo Courier: SPORTS

Friday, April 14, 2006 12:13 PM CDT

Glas applies for UNI post

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) -- University of North Dakota men's basketball coach Rich Glas has formally applied for an assistant position at Northern Iowa.

If he gets the job, it will reunite the 18-year Fighting Sioux coach with his former player and top assistant -- Northern Iowa head coach Ben Jacobson.

"I feel I needed to look at this opportunity at this point and time in my career," Glas said. "If offered the job, I'll have to make a quick decision."

The application deadline for the position is Tuesday.

Jacobson recently became the Northern Iowa coach, replacing Greg McDermott -- another former Sioux assistant under Glas -- who last month accepted the Iowa State head coaching position.

Glas is the winningest coach in UND history, with 335 wins.

What about Chris Davis Assistant Coach at Drake University (No relationship to HC Dr. Tom Davis). I think He would be a great fit as UND moves to D1 status. He has recuited D1 players and coached at the D2 and D1 level with much success.

Here is his Bio from the Drake website.

Assistant Coach Chris Davis

Chris Davis joined the Drake coaching staff in 2000 and has developed into a key figure in the success of Bulldog basketball.

"Chris has done a good job for me in helping to ease my transition to Drake," said Drake head coach Tom Davis. "He is highly respected in the Missouri Valley Conference and I look forward to working with him. He is a proven recruiter and understands the mission of Drake University."

Davis, 43, a native of Jackson, Mich., is a veteran collegiate assistant. Prior to his arrival at Drake, he served as assistant basketball coach at Western Michigan, coordinating recruiting for the Broncos.

During his tenure there he helped the Broncos win the Mid-American Conference regular season championship in 1997-98 (21-7 record) and advance to the second round of the 1998 NCAA Tournament where the Broncos lost to eventual Final Four participant Stanford. In 1995-96, Davis helped guide Western Michigan to a second-place finish in the Mid-American Conference. During his five seasons on the Western Michigan staff, the Broncos knocked off national powers Michigan (twice), Clemson and North Carolina-Charlotte.

Davis also served as an assistant coach at Mid-American Conference rival Kent State from 1989-1995, helping Kent State finish runner-up in the Mid-American Conference in 1989-90 while participating in the 1990 NIT. He was the top assistant and recruiting coordinator at Grand Valley State University from 1987-89. While at Grand Valley State, the Lakers compiled a 40-18 record and twice finished second in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

At Drake, Davis