SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

I wanted Smith, but would have been satisfied with anybody who has been a successful head coach at any level of college basketball, or a highly-regarded assistant from a good dI or dII program. For that reason, I am not opposed to Brown, but would have big problems with a Weemer or Jones hire. Most of the people I've spoken with feel the same.

I really don't know what the big problem about Jones is. I'm glad he ended up with the job. I think there were probably better candidates who applied, but he was by far the best of the four finalists, and is way more qualified than Smith. He spent the last seven seasons as an assistant at a DI university that is a member of the oldest and most storied conference in the history of the NCAA, and one of the top members of that conference as well. He also is familiar with the NCC, which unfortunately, UND will be a member of for the foreseeable future. To think we could have ended up with a high-school coach! ;) My wife is a high-school coach, but it never occured to me to have her apply for the job. :) Wait and see, I think Jones will do a good job.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what the big problem about Jones is. I'm glad he ended up with the job. I think there were probably better candidates who applied, but he was by far the best of the four finalists, and is way more qualified than Smith. He spent the last seven seasons as an assistant at a DI university that is a member of the oldest and most storied conference in the history of the NCAA, and one of the top members of that conference as well. He also is familiar with the NCC, which unfortunately, UND will be a member of for the foreseeable future. To think we could have ended up with a high-school coach! ;) My wife is a high-school coach, but it never occured to me to have her apply for the job. :) Wait and see, I think Jones will do a good job.

I'm willing to give Jones a chance. My big concern was the apparent demotion, but supposedly there is more to that story which mitigates things somewhat. If Mac and Jake vouch for him, then that's enough for me to give him a fair shot to prove himself. I'm not a big Alford fan as a coach, although I liked him a lot as a player, so the fact that Jones was an assistant (apparently a ways down the totem pole) on Alford's staff is not, in and of itself, all that impressive to me, but Jones is the new coach and deserves the support of the fans.

It will be interesting to watch what happens with the Bemidji State opening. I have a feeling one of the coaches not selected for an interview at UND could get that job (Smith? Olson? Irwin?), which will make our games with them the next few years quite intriguing.

I'm willing to give Jones a chance. My big concern was the apparent demotion, but supposedly there is more to that story which mitigates things somewhat. If Mac and Jake vouch for him, then that's enough for me to give him a fair shot to prove himself. I'm not a big Alford fan as a coach, although I liked him a lot as a player, so the fact that Jones was an assistant (apparently a ways down the totem pole) on Alford's staff is not, in and of itself, all that impressive to me, but Jones is the new coach and deserves the support of the fans.

It will be interesting to watch what happens with the Bemidji State opening. I have a feeling one of the coaches not selected for an interview at UND could get that job (Smith? Olson? Irwin?), which will make our games with them the next few years quite intriguing.

[it is an interesting thought my fellow Sioux, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that your last paragraph is not in the realm of possibility. To put Bemidji State in the same breath as a destination for a coach is just not feasible. Look at the tenure of the past 5? coaches at BSU vs. UND. UND is a destination, BSU a possible stepping stone to UND.

I know as a fact that 1 possibly 2 of the applicants at BSU were going to be assistants on the staff of one of the applicants at UND.

As for as Smith, Olson, Irwin, are concerned, it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when the UND calls on those programs 2/3 to get recruits. Considering none of the 3 got interviews at UND.

As for as Smith, Olson, Irwin, are concerned, it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when the UND calls on those programs 2/3 to get recruits. Considering none of the 3 got interviews at UND.

I am not sure what you mean by "UND calling on those programs to get recruits". I am not arguing your point, I just don't know what you mean.

I am not sure what you mean by "UND calling on those programs to get recruits". I am not arguing your point, I just don't know what you mean.

[uND-Williston and Whapeton (Olson,Irwin), are both junior colleges. Thus UND recruits from junior colleges. Not so from Mayville, hence the 2/3, 2 out of 3.]

[uND-Williston and Whapeton (Olson,Irwin), are both junior colleges. Thus UND recruits from junior colleges. Not so from Mayville, hence the 2/3, 2 out of 3.]

I understand but they are both class individuals - they will advise their kids appropriately. Sometimes it may be an endorsement for UND, sometimes they may think a kid would get more playing time, etc. elsewhere. In other words, I do not think it will have an effect.

I am not so sure about that...i know for a fact that a few coaches who for whatever reason did not like coach Glas and for that reason did not particularily send kids to UND...I have heard that directly from the players themselves...

I am not so sure about that...i know for a fact that a few coaches who for whatever reason did not like coach Glas and for that reason did not particularily send kids to UND...I have heard that directly from the players themselves...

No use debating this but there will always be coaches who dislike other coaches or schools. I doubt that their not being considered for this job will alienate them to UND. But it may........

No use debating this but there will always be coaches who dislike other coaches or schools. I doubt that their not being considered for this job will alienate them to UND. But it may........

[/quot

[if one finds bliss by not even looking, is it trully bliss?]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[it is my understanding that the new head coach at Bemidji was going to be an assistant at UND had another candidate got the job.]

• 2 weeks later...