SiouxSports.com Forum

Time to give credit where credit is due

siouxfan499

Its funny how much the Bison fans are talking about this win. They are finally feeling what Sioux fans have been experiencing for years. Beating the Badgers in front of a sold out Kohl Center.

I'm assuming you're talking hockey here, Cratter. The Sioux are 4-8 in their last six visits to the Kohl Center with wins coming in 2002-03 (sweep), 2001-02 (split) and 1999-00 (split). I'd say Bucky's gotten the best of the Sioux during that time.

See SI.com today. One of the major columns talks about NDSU's win being the big event of men's college basketball this past weekend. For those of you whining about how UND's women's team being undefeated isn't that big of a story...even Division I women's basketball is rarely mentioned on SI.com or ESPN Sportscenter unless it involves Tennessee or UConn. If the Sioux women knocked off a dominant Division I program, it still wouldn't make news. Unless it happened to involve the two teams I just mentioned.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you're talking hockey here, Cratter. The Sioux are 4-8 in their last six visits to the Kohl Center with wins coming in 2002-03 (sweep), 2001-02 (split) and 1999-00 (split). I'd say Bucky's gotten the best of the Sioux during that time.

See SI.com today. One of the major columns talks about NDSU's win being the big event of men's college basketball this past weekend. For those of you whining about how UND's women's team being undefeated isn't that big of a story...even Division I women's basketball is rarely mentioned on SI.com or ESPN Sportscenter unless it involves Tennessee or UConn. If the Sioux women knocked off a dominant Division I program, it still wouldn't make news. Unless it happened to involve the two teams I just mentioned.

Is what I posted wrong, MafiaMan? The Bison could only wish to play the Badgers every year in the Kohl Center like the Sioux and be 4-8. (Yes I realize its technical 3/4 years they play at the UW).

Is what I posted wrong, MafiaMan? The Bison could only wish to play the Badgers every year in the Kohl Center like the Sioux and be 4-8. (Yes I realize its technical 3/4 years they play at the UW).

No, I think I originally read your point to be "success" at the Kohl Center. I don't think 4-8 is a great record. However, I think your point was just to have the opportunity to celebrate a win at the Kohl Center. Duly noted.

For those of you whining about how UND's women's team being undefeated isn't that big of a story...even Division I women's basketball is rarely mentioned on SI.com or ESPN Sportscenter unless it involves Tennessee or UConn. If the Sioux women knocked off a dominant Division I program, it still wouldn't make news. Unless it happened to involve the two teams I just mentioned.

When I mentioned that there was little discussion about our women's basketball team, I was referring to this website and Sioux fans in general. The ladies are having an amazing season yet you seldom hear too many people talking about it, especially on this site.

I'd agree with you there, dakotadan. I am in Mpls/St Paul where, strangely enough, Sioux women's basketball is never mentioned in the Star Tribune or Pioneer Press. I didn't realize they were 22-0 until I read your post earlier today. You're correct...that is note-worthy. My 'whining' comment wasn't directed at you...was getting tired of Sioux fans saying that NDSU beating Wisconsin wasn't a big deal for whatever reason and thinking it was hardly ESPN highlight worthy. UND's women could go undefeated for five years and ESPN might not notice, but it does deserve more mention on the siouxsports site. For the record, I still remember UND's first women's national championship and watching it on either ESPN or ESPN2. I was as excited seeing that as I was watching the football team win their first title.

Just wanted to thank all the sioux fans on their praise. I went to the hockey series against mankato st. and I heard the same thing.

This win also helps UND (D1 transition pressure) and a great win for North Dakota.

Just a fun and exciting story of david vs. goliath. I'm sure the gopher fans are happy for us too.

For those of you whining about how UND's women's team being undefeated isn't that big of a story...even Division I women's basketball is rarely mentioned on SI.com or ESPN Sportscenter unless it involves Tennessee or UConn.

I too was hardly whining and hardly talking about ESPN or SI...I was talking about the SIOUX board and the GRAND FORKS Herald. Again, congrats to NDSU on the upset and gaining national media attention, but really, I'll remember a great season (which will hopefully end up with going far into the play-offs if not all the way) longer than the Bison's current 15 minutes of fame. (for now...when they can do this on a continual basis and make it into tournaments...then I'll give 'em the props they deserve...) :lol:

my point exactly! Great that the ag school staged the UPSET OF THE YEAR:-)....your 15 minutes of fame are ticking away FAST! SU never did squat in d2 mens bb - now they beat 1 big time team (MAN - Those CHEESE HEADS MUST BE REALLY EMBARASSED!?) and now you think you're the GONZAGA of non-eligible di schools??*

*(maybe the ncaa will give you a SPECIAL exception and make you "MarchMadnessAvailable" for THIS SEASONS FINAL FOUR!!!? They should...because you're ndsu...and your DII resume is...ummm....below average :lol:

my point exactly! Great that the ag school staged the UPSET OF THE YEAR:-)....your 15 minutes of fame are ticking away FAST! SU never did squat in d2 mens bb - now they beat 1 big time team (MAN - Those CHEESE HEADS MUST BE REALLY EMBARASSED!?) and now you think you're the GONZAGA of non-eligible di schools??*

*(maybe the ncaa will give you a SPECIAL exception and make you "MarchMadnessAvailable" for THIS SEASONS FINAL FOUR!!!? They should...because you're ndsu...and your DII resume is...ummm....below average :lol:

Your jealousy is so obvious! ???

Thankfully most Sioux fans are not as narrow minded as this. Fans posting this type of garbage (and we have a couple of ours over on Bisonville too) don't really have much that any of the rest of us want to hear. These negative tirades get old. Why not try and have a legit discussion with out dipping into the vitriolic statements that seem to dominate your posts. In other words......do ya think you could find the high road??

Thankfully most Sioux fans are not as narrow minded as this. Fans posting this type of garbage (and we have a couple of ours over on Bisonville too) don't really have much that any of the rest of us want to hear. These negative tirades get old. Why not try and have a legit discussion with out dipping into the vitriolic statements that seem to dominate your posts. In other words......do ya think you could find the high road??

Tell me about it...try posting a link to an article about college hockey (unfortunately about the Gophers) on another board on this site and see some of the reactions. It was one game and no one is suggesting that NDSU has won the national title, but it's certainly a bright day for the Bison program.

NO - my goal has been to give bison fans something to post about so they think Sioux Fans still give a CRAP about them on this board. REALLY - it's very nice of me! Did you ever notice? There's a lot MORE about UND on BIsonville than su topics here unless you DORKS instigate it? great...you beat Wisconsin...lets check your record in 10 years - assuming they ever make the mistake of playing you again because I'm pretty sure they're REALLY REALLY embarrased over in badger land:0 :lol:

NO - my goal has been to give bison fans something to post about so they think Sioux Fans still give a CRAP about them on this board. REALLY - it's very nice of me! Did you ever notice? There's a lot MORE about UND on BIsonville than su topics here unless you DORKS instigate it? great...you beat Wisconsin...lets check your record in 10 years - assuming they ever make the mistake of playing you again because I'm pretty sure they're REALLY REALLY embarrased over in badger land:0 ;)

Jim....Why do you tolerate this crap on a legit discussion thread.....you ought to ditch this guy so those of us that are true sports fans can have a discussion! :bigsmile:

If you are going to have SMACKY discussions then they ought to go in a SMACK thread or be deleted.....I for one prefer to rarely visit the smack sections of any boards........

Jim....Why do you tolerate this crap on a legit discussion thread.....

I generally try not to. Plenty of Sioux, Bison, and other fans no longer post here because they were unable to stop themselves from making crap posts like the one you quoted. However, we do give long standing members who make lots of legitimate posts a little more leeway to make an idiotic post than newly registered drive-by-trollers (my content to noise ratio). There is still a limit, though, of how much "noise" is tolerated from any member. Beyond noting that, I don't generally like to comment on the specific status of individual members.

I do appreciate people bringing offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive posts to my attention (PM is probably quickest because that pops up any time I visit any page). The board seems to double in traffic each year -- there are literally hundreds of posts per day, and GDM and I admittedly don't read them all very quickly.

Interesting enough, it brought up good discussion in the big sky with that win. Wins like that, as unlikely as they are, bring up the discussion of UND and NDSU as big sky teams. The issue still remains, how to incorporate these teams into the league without distrubting the leagues balance of power and revenue.

NDSU and SDSU basketball appear to be on massively divergent tracks. Who would have thought that NDSU's claim to fame would be through their men's basketball team, while the SDSU men's team has now entered a nightmare scenario:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2314936

BROOKINGS, S.D. -- Two South Dakota State University basketball players have been suspended from practicing and playing after being served with temporary protection orders, officials said Wednesday.

University police are investigating sexual assault allegations against Mohamed Berte, 22, and Andre Gilbert, 20, school officials said in a release. The court orders ban them from having contact with a female student, the school said.

Not the kind of national publicity that is needed for a transitioning DI school. If they were DII, this wouldn't be reported nationally.

Speaking of upsets...did you see UMES beat Nebraska?

UMES - University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Was Nebreska ranked in the top 15 at the time?

Some of you guys are hilarious. Yes, NDSU beat an overrated Wisconsin at their place and is excited about having the potential 'upset of the year'.

Now we know how Bemidji State felt when they beat us for the first time in hockey.

:blush: