SiouxSports.com Forum

thoughts on the Betty

UND92,96

minn st mankato is by far the best laid out functional facility in the ncc...great lighting ,great atomsphere, great sight lines, built in a bowl like structure you enter from the top, easy access to concessions and restrooms, ring like vouyer area is excellent.....made to house only b-ball, volleyball, wrestling.....

also great smoked glass overlook booster area...donated by taylor from the timberwolves with help with the namesake bresnan arena....great place to watch a game...

maybe only draw back 4800 great seats...700 standing room....u always may want bigger perfect d2 size

I've heard good things about Mankato's arena but I haven't seen it. Question--I assume the seats are all permanent, so is there room for just one court? How big of a deal is it to have room for multiple courts like the Betty has? The reason I ask is that I would have liked to have seen the Betty more like what I envision that the Ralph in TRF is (although I've never seen it)--seating in a full bowl all the way around, with an outer concourse (similar to the old Ralph, as well). It seems to me that would have been ideal, unless the ability to have multiple courts going at one time is critically important.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They installed state of the art Collapaseable-(Sp?) Chair back Bleachers, For multi court usage...Bresnan is very similar to the THF Ralph in Design..exception Basketball vs Hockey configuration...and TRF Ralph has nicer interior Brass,Oak,Marble ect...

I've been in Hyslop when it was packed, didn't it hold a few more people than the Betty? Why did they decide to make the new arena smaller, funding? What's happening at the old Ralph these days? Sounds like it's easy to see some of the Betty's short comings, but having that many facilities isn't a bad problem to have.

I was in attendance at Halenbeck Hall on Saturday night, and I must say that I loved that place!!! The view seemed to be good from most places, the size was about right, and most of all, it just seemed like a classic basketball venue. It kind of reminded me of a cross between frost arena and the old hyslop. The place was far from modern, as the lighting and PA seemed ancient, but all in all I was in love with the place by the time I left.

I've come to the conclusion that us Sioux fans are beyond spoiled. I cannot figure out how we can complain about the Betty. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's not as if we really spent a lot of state and university money to build it (if I remember it was built with REA profits). The arena was designed for practice first, games second, but the sightlines are great and the atmosphere has the potential to be amazing. I for one hope that I have to wait in line for 30 minutes to get in on thursday, as I would love to see a standing room only crowd. We have some of the best facilities in the country for a school of our size, but most people just seem to complain about them. Maybe there are some things we can do to improve the Betty, but I'd rather see some money spent on the track/soccer and baseball facilities first.

Us Sioux fans should be thankful that we have such amazing venues.

I've been in Hyslop when it was packed, didn't it hold a few more people than the Betty? Why did they decide to make the new arena smaller, funding? What's happening at the old Ralph these days? Sounds like it's easy to see some of the Betty's short comings, but having that many facilities isn't a bad problem to have.

AGAIN -- the Betty was primarily designed as a practice and non-con bb facility - they assumed (rea) they'd play most of their games in the Ralph but as we found out - a huge vacuous arena has no atmosphere with 3000 people in it. I'm glad they're playing everything in the Betty, despite its faults. 3000 in the Betty rocks and seems like a lot more!

AGAIN -- the Betty was primarily designed as a practice and non-con bb facility - they assumed (rea) they'd play most of their games in the Ralph but as we found out - a huge vacuous arena has no atmosphere with 3000 people in it. I'm glad they're playing everything in the Betty, despite its faults. 3000 in the Betty rocks and seems like a lot more!

The betty was paid for not by the students but thru borrowed money tied up with the REA. Hence the name, BESC. So if tuition is going up it has little or nothing to do with athletics.

And, I agree with several of the other posts, while it has some issues, it is much better than the Hyslop. I can remember the nights were they had to open the back doors on below zero nights to get it to cool off, but then the benches and players were freezing and the fans in the upper bowl were sweating.

It lacked proper lighting, a video score board and had almost no ability to sell advertising. Not to mention the issues with practice since BB, VB, Men's & Womens Track, Baseball & SB were all practicing at the same time. Oh yeah, and the locker rooms were junk.

Athletics has had nothing to do with any tuition increases! If you feel differently, give us some examples!

Maybe 'siouxfan499' thinks that if you don't build a multimillion dollar arena (however it was funded) that money could have went to teacher salaries, etc. and maybe those high rates of tuition increases could be put off or lowered maybe for years, and maybe that lower tuition would help increase enrollment. Maybe 'siouxfan499' thinks that there was really nothing currently wrong with the Hyslop. It definately wasn't underbuilt, did the team plenty well the last decade as they are winning championships.

No, I am not "siouxfan499." :D

..and you guys call me INCOHERENT!! :lol:??? I think "Biffy" made my arguement while tryng to argue against it??? BLAME HIM BLAME HIM!! or at least admit I do have a "few" good ideas??? :sad:

Who's incoherent? I wasn't arguing against anything. Just surprised they didn't try to raise a little more $ and add a few more seats for the home court advantage that comes from not switching arenas.

I still don't know how we fit 8,000 into our arena, but somehow we do it. Years ago, RU hosted West Virginia and we sold standing room and has almost 9,000 but the town and fire department put an end to standing room tickets. For those interested, here is a picture of the Rutgers Athletic Center--My Webpage

I was in attendance at Halenbeck Hall on Saturday night, and I must say that I loved that place!!! The view seemed to be good from most places, the size was about right, and most of all, it just seemed like a classic basketball venue. It kind of reminded me of a cross between frost arena and the old hyslop. The place was far from modern, as the lighting and PA seemed ancient, but all in all I was in love with the place by the time I left.

I've come to the conclusion that us Sioux fans are beyond spoiled. I cannot figure out how we can complain about the Betty. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's not as if we really spent a lot of state and university money to build it (if I remember it was built with REA profits). The arena was designed for practice first, games second, but the sightlines are great and the atmosphere has the potential to be amazing. I for one hope that I have to wait in line for 30 minutes to get in on thursday, as I would love to see a standing room only crowd. We have some of the best facilities in the country for a school of our size, but most people just seem to complain about them. Maybe there are some things we can do to improve the Betty, but I'd rather see some money spent on the track/soccer and baseball facilities first.

Us Sioux fans should be thankful that we have such amazing venues.

I agree/disagree. I agree that US Sioux fans should be thankful for what we have. The betty, despite a few small inconveniences is hand over fist better than most ncc basketball arenas (except maybe mankato's).

St. Cloud's arena was horrible. It could be that I'm spoiled from the Betty, but when I have to stand up, not because of the play, but because my butt hurts from the uncomfortable seats... it's not a good arena. That place could use some major renovations.

Why did they decide to make the new arena smaller, funding?

Easy, in BB configuration:

The Betty: ~4000

Lower Bowl of REA: ~5500

The Al: ~9000+ (who knows how many)

REA: 13000+ (see v. Kansas)

And I'd guess old REA in a BB config would hold ~7000. (It held 6067 for hockey.)

Easy, in BB configuration:

The Betty: ~4000

Lower Bowl of REA: ~5500

The Al: ~9000+ (who knows how many)

REA: 13000+ (see v. Kansas)

And I'd guess old REA in a BB config would hold ~7000. (It held 6067 for hockey.)

I wonder how much, if any discretion UND has in terms of deciding where to play any particular game? For example, say it becomes clear that the Betty is simply too small to handle conference games. And further assume that the Ralph isn't available due either to hockey being at home the same weekend, or concerns regarding the ice. Would the contract between UND and REA allow for games to be held at the Al? I realize that brings up all kinds of issues (determining seat locations for season ticketholders, whether the coaches would want to have multiple "home" courts, etc.), but I see a day in the not-too-distant future when the Betty simply may not be the best option from a bottom line standpoint for several games which can and should draw well in excess of the 3800 (or whatever the Betty's true capacity is).

I wonder how much, if any discretion UND has in terms of deciding where to play any particular game? For example, say it becomes clear that the Betty is simply too small to handle conference games. And further assume that the Ralph isn't available due either to hockey being at home the same weekend, or concerns regarding the ice. Would the contract between UND and REA allow for games to be held at the Al? I realize that brings up all kinds of issues (determining seat locations for season ticketholders, whether the coaches would want to have multiple "home" courts, etc.), but I see a day in the not-too-distant future when the Betty simply may not be the best option from a bottom line standpoint for several games which can and should draw well in excess of the 3800 (or whatever the Betty's true capacity is).

What kind of crowd is expected for Thursday night? Would it be a good idea to be there extra early?

What kind of crowd is expected for Thursday night? Would it be a good idea to be there extra early?

I guessing somewhere in the low to mid 3000's. It's hard to say how much attendance will be held down by the fact that it's a Thursday instead of a Saturday game. Considering how well the Sioux women have been playing, how long it's been since they've played at home, and that Augie is a quality opponent, I'm hoping for a much bigger crowd than the UNO game, which was reported to be around 2700.

I agree/disagree. I agree that US Sioux fans should be thankful for what we have. The betty, despite a few small inconveniences is hand over fist better than most ncc basketball arenas (except maybe mankato's).

St. Cloud's arena was horrible. It could be that I'm spoiled from the Betty, but when I have to stand up, not because of the play, but because my butt hurts from the uncomfortable seats... it's not a good arena. That place could use some major renovations.

I think you are spoiled by the facilities that are at UND. Alerus, REA, and The "Betty"...come on. I will give it to you on the bleachers being hard in Halenbeck, but a horrible arena? My arse has never met a bleacher that it liked. The UND people that I know and have talked to really like watching games at Halenbeck Hall. Just remember that it is an old gym (with hard seats)

I think The Betty is a great basketball facility for UND. I can't imagine that either the mens or womens teams will ever need much more than 4000 seats for basketball. If they did, I doubt it would take much to add extra seating, concessions and bathrooms to make it a first class facility that any D1 school would love to have.

All you have to do is look at the Bison to realize that basketball isn't going to draw huge crowds. They just came off what Chaps described as the biggest athletic event/game in the schools history. Even with all the hysteria surrounding this monumental victory on Saturday, the Bison only drew a little over 3,000 fans to tonights home game against the University of Idaho. The Sioux hockey team could draw that many to an afternoon inter-squad practice.

So if the Bison can only draw 3000 to their first home game just 4 days after it's biggest athletic victory in 100+ years, how will the Sioux ever need more than 4000 seats for it's teams. And if they do, they could easily switch the game over to the REA. :lol:

I think The Betty is a great basketball facility for UND. I can't imagine that either the mens or womens teams will ever need much more than 4000 seats for basketball. If they did, I doubt it would take much to add extra seating, concessions and bathrooms to make it a first class facility that any D1 school would love to have.

I don't think we'll routinely see more than 4000 at a game, but it will happen a few times a year if at least one of the teams is good enough. Or at least, it happened many times at Hyslop over the years, and not only against NDSU. Heck, St. Cloud St. drew 4800 for the games against UND last Saturday, and that was even considering they were going head-to-head with a home hockey series. And historically, SCSU doesn't touch UND in terms of women's basketball attendance. I think a lot of people are really missing the boat if they don't check out a UND women's basketball game this year. One need not even be a huge basketball fan to be highly entertained by them. Of course, with a 3800-4000 seat arena, there's not that much room left on the bandwagon. :lol:

Some interesting points:

The SCSU fan points out we're complaining about a wealth of riches, or that as I've heard one guy say "complaining that our ice cream is too cold."

I'll agree with Rick. My eyes say that larger end portable stands could be put into The Betty. What's there now is about 10 rows per end. Put in 20 row models and I bet you'd (a) push that place to about 5000, and (b) make Hyslop seem like a pleasant place for opponents.

PS - What NDSU drew v. Idaho would have been held by The Betty: 3541.

Some interesting points:

The SCSU fan points out we're complaining about a wealth of riches, or that as I've heard one guy say "complaining that our ice cream is too cold."

I'll agree with Rick. My eyes say that larger end portable stands could be put into The Betty. What's there now is about 10 rows per end. Put in 20 row models and I bet you'd (a) push that place to about 5000, and (b) make Hyslop seem like a pleasant place for opponents.

There's really only one way to know whether the Betty could reasonably accommodate more people than what's its current capacity is, and that's to have a game which is a sell-out and see what the experience is like. I'm hoping we find out either tomorrow (probably unlikely), or a week from tomorrow (quite possible). There's no hockey game tomorrow night, folks. Tickets are relatively cheap compared to hockey and football. Check it out.