SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's DI review committee

The Sicatoka

$1.4 million.

We'll raise $1.7 million next year. Having success in football and basketball certainly helps.

Thanks. I could be wrong, but I think the Fighting Sioux Club raised $1.75 million or so last year. Anybody else recall the number?

EDIT: I guess I can't find anything other than the fiscal year 2004 number, which was apparently about $1.5 million. I don't know what the fiscal year 2005 number was.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I could be wrong, but I think the Fighting Sioux Club raised $1.75 million or so last year. Anybody else recall the number?

EDIT: I guess I can't find anything other than the fiscal year 2004 number, which was apparently about $1.5 million. I don't know what the fiscal year 2005 number was.

It looks like all the "contributions" for Sioux Hockey have added up. I have always heard that UND struggled to raise money as compared to NDSU. I guess I may have been mistaken. It would be interesting to see what percent of the 1.5 million came from the "donations" for season hockey tickets? Also, the same stat would be interesting from NDSU football and their "donation" for good tickets.

It looks like all the "contributions" for Sioux Hockey have added up. I have always heard that UND struggled to raise money as compared to NDSU. I guess I may have been mistaken. It would be interesting to see what percent of the 1.5 million came from the "donations" for season hockey tickets? Also, the same stat would be interesting from NDSU football and their "donation" for good tickets.

To the extent that was true--and I have no idea whether or not it was--I suspect it stopped being the case in 2001. Since the completion of REA and the corresponding increase in season tickets available, funds raised by the FSC have been well in excess of $1 million per year. Probably much closer to $1.5 million per year.

Compare Team Makers to Fighting Sioux Club and the answer must be that no all those doctor's, lawers and Piolts (lots living on unemployment right now ;)) do not make more that the hick farmers that graduate from NDSU. :0

If a farmer that graduates from NDSU is a hick, what is a farmer that graduates from UND (like me)?

Star, I do not see the evidence in the link you provided that Denver was offered a spot in the Big Sky. I see that there were talks, but where does it say that an offer was made to Denver? Hell the Sky has talked to NDSU too, does that mean we have had an offer in your world? It's been a long day at work, maybe I missed it. :D

Star, I do not see the evidence in the link you provided that Denver was offered a spot in the Big Sky. I see that there were talks, but where does it say that an offer was made to Denver? Hell the Sky has talked to NDSU too, does that mean we have had an offer in your world? It's been a long day at work, maybe I missed it. :D

If the Denver Post article was available, it would be MAJORLY clear that Fullerton and the Big Sky were the assertive party (they requested meetings with Denver about Big Sky membership). Denver met with them but eventually rejected the Big Sky overture, much the same way as the Big Sky has, to this point, rejected NDSU's overtures.

So, no, even in my world, NDSU has never had a Big Sky offer. (But it does seem in the NDSU la-la world, before the rejections, NDSU did have a "offer".) ;)

A few more points.

1. Synchronized skating isn't a NCAA sport.

2. Thanks for the bad post to an article, Star2City.

3. I haven't heard anywhere that adding vet med is a plan of Chapman's.

4. A conference doesn't care if you have extra sports, but most require that you field a given combination of men's and women's sports.

5. I don't think the BSC has any interest in having member institutions not field their core sports. The only current exception is Portland State without tennis which it promised to add after joining and I don't think the conference or other schools are too pleased about it.

6. From what I heard (from a little birdie) is that Denver had an invitiation waiting in IF they added football AND that Denver has no interest in the Big Sky; they want in the WAC, WCC, or Missouri Valley otherwise they're staying in the Sun Belt.

7. Show me anywhere that anyone said NDSU had a Big Sky invititation.

$1.4 million.

We'll raise $1.7 million next year. Having success in football and basketball certainly helps.

I found a Jeff Kolpack article from February of 2004 which included this:

Team Makers raises about $700,000 per year for the athletic department.

I'm not sure if this link will work or not, but you can access the article in the "Bison Zone" at the Forum website.

7. Show me anywhere that anyone said NDSU had a Big Sky invititation:

From a Bisonville search

Hope your bisonville pals weren't your 'birdie'.

All I see is speculation, something you are very familiar with ;)

Where did anyone say NDSU had an invitation? :D

Let's get back to discussing what UND will have to do to support DI in all sports. I know that might be contraversial, but I think womens hockey was a huge mistake. Rumors from GF, and they are just rumors, is that the womens team is a $500,000 drain on the athletic budget. I know it's Title IX related, but those kind of numbers, if true, are very disturbing. I just don't see a womens team paying in REA cash flowing ever. Does Tiltle IX require the womens team equal facilities?

Does anyone know if UND breaks down the athletic budget by each program? i.e. mens hockey costs $XXX If someone knows where to find this just post a link, you don't need to post the numbers for me, I can look them up.

So based on Sicatoka's numbers above, women's hockey costs are $174 general team expenses + $24.5k recruiting, + coaches salaries + scholarships + fraction of game management & adminsitration . Contrast that with a $2 Mill increase ito move all sports to DI. IMO, women's hockey was a no brainer to add - it would be the onlyDI sport other than men

UND needs to go Division I and the sooner the better. The longer we wait we are hurting ourselves and our teams ability to be competitive when we do go. Football would be competitive right away if we go now but if we wait NDSU with increased scholarships will eventually overtake them in the talent department. This is no knock on the program or the coaching staff but the fact is for out of state kids the difference between full ride and a partial ride at two universities they no prior emotional attachment to makes a big difference. Plus restoring the rivalry and starting new ones (Montana, Montana State) will no doubt help attendance in all of the sports. The sport most hurt would be women's basketball because they would no longer be able to win national titles, but I think if given time and appropriate resources UND could be a highly competitive team. Another team that would most likely benefit immediately would be the men's basketball team, the division I label seems to mean a lot more to male athletes than female and UND being division II,in my opinion, is crippling our basketball recruiting efforts. Case in point look at the success level just a few years ago compared with today and recent recruiting classes have been rather lackluster. Other sports would do also do well swimming and diving almost compete exclusively at a division I level already and women's soccer would compete nationally as well. As for sports like volleyball and softball well we can just as easily be a bad division I team as we can be bad division II teams, we'll just be losing to more recognized teams. Come to think if I believe this last point must have been motivation for NDSU and SDSU's division I moves :D

so lets sell out ALL our sports for the sake of competing in di-AA football!!!! YEAH!!!! I can't wait to see William and Mary BEAT THE *HIT out of Appalchian Emergency Room (Sorry - STATE!) for this years AA title :lol::D

Does ANYONE in America CARE? ;) who wins the aa title compared to DII? $500 at stake!!! Who can name either the di-aa or DII National Football Champion from this season in June??? (TONS of tumbleweeds blowing through THIS scene :0 )

A press release from Dr. Kupchella's office:

Can anyone tell me why Rob Bollinger is not on this committee...?Is there a more knowledgeable current person on our staff,that understands this issue,in regards to not only athletics but also financial fund raising,with the community and alumni....?....I feel a HUGE OVERSIGHT!

Can anyone tell me why Rob Bollinger is not on this committee...?Is there a more knowledgeable current person on our staff,that understands this issue,in regards to not only athletics but also financial fund raising,with the community and alumni....?....I feel a HUGE OVERSIGHT!

As you may remember, there was another committee about two years ago that also studied a move to DI. This committee was much smaller and had no real clout but they did talk to Maine, New Hampshire, Montana, etc. (schools similar to us). Rob and Rich Glas were on that committee - I don't remember who else. I suppose that may be one reason Rob isn't on this one. However, I bet he will have plenty of input - he has some strong feelings on the subject!

By the way, Brooks had a nice day yesterday, didn't he!

Agreed, UND shouldn't count on increased revenue in terms of attendance. Although the SU's could have a slight increase when they are accepted into a conference.

As far as DI schools coming here to play, if people are expecting Kentucky or Duke or any school of a major conference to come to ND of course they will be disappointed. But if they hope to see peer institutions (Montana, Montana St., Idaho, Idaho St., some of the New England schools perhaps, and of course SDSU and NDSU) I think they will be pleased. I think playing those schools would generate more interest than playing Crookston, Bemidji, Mayville, ect., but sometimes it seems I'm a minority.

i may have posted this in wrong spot ....?

I have said more than once I believe it would be a mistake for UND to leap into the Div 1 Arena....That being said...

* If we go we must have a conference...To try and recreate the Old NCC would be most Logical...A conference of rival instituations that Travel up and Down off the I-29 Corridor.. For cost,efficency,and Rival reasons...

* Do we Have the Funding... For the Non- Conference Scheduling Road Trips?

* Will the fans have the Patience it will take to become successful...I have lived in GF for around 25 years in that time..Hockey,Football,Mens and Womens Basketball in over 100 seasons have had less the 10-15 of them below .500?...And our fans are still not happy all the time?

* Make no Mistake..Hockey will be our only National Championship oppurtunities

* We will be able to compete for Conference titles..but in all other sports NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!

A great season for us will be (After the Probation Period of 7-10 yrs) a 1st round Sacraficial Lamb in the big dance or tourney..

*I like the thought of the challenge to play better quailty oppontents, and Home Attendance should take care of itself... ..We will need the money , to help defray the addiontional costs..

* We need to make a decision this being on the fence , will eventually hurt all our recrcuitung...

* I feel it was a HUGE OVERSIGHT! The last committee assigned did not Include the most Knowledgeable

Person we have on our Staff......ROB BOLLINGER.....He understands the Past,Present, and Future Fundraising that it will take to Make or not Make this move...

Just a few of my thoughts?

Just My Thoughts.... If and When we make the LEAP!....We will not be adding sports my friends.....

Only Cutting for fiscial Responsibility.....Div 1 is Not CHEAP?

Last Time I checked we have not been able to run in the Black in Athletics as we are?

And That is with a 125 Million Dollar Donated Facility.....

Edited by coachdags

Just My Thoughts.... If and When we make the LEAP!....We will not be adding sports my friends.....

Only Cutting for fiscial Responsibility.....Div 1 is Not CHEAP?

Last Time I checked we have not been able to run in the Black in Athletics as we are?

And That is with a 125 Million Dollar Donated Facility.....

You really don't think football has a chance to win a championship?

Like many have said the move will essentially only be giving up one championship sport at UND and that's womens basketball.

You really don't think football has a chance to win a championship?

Like many have said the move will essentially only be giving up one championship sport at UND and that's womens basketball.

yes football will have a chance in time..shorter then we probably think.....I did not include football because it will be 1AA....Not div 1....sorry..my fault

My Feeling is Yes and No.....In my Mind Div 1AA...is totally seperate...They Can Not compete with the True Div1...Like Michigan,Colorado,Texas,Notre Dame....

Anyway its all ones opinions....There are really only 25 Schools every year that have a true shot at a Division 1 Championship...in all sports

Same way propably in Division II....

Instead of being a Force in The Regional and National Div II level.....

When we move my feeling are we will just be Mediocre at best .500 will be a good year at the overall Div1

level

But yes we will probably be able to compete for a Div1AA --Football title in time

Another example would be Northern Iowa...Moved to Div / Div 1AA..in around 1978...

This was there 1st year they made it to the Natl Champ game in football...

There BBAll teams went around 14-15 years inbetween conference titles..Mac got them there last 2 years...Lost in 1st Round on both

I believe they have had some success in other sports as far as conference titles...few and far between...

However...NO NATIONAL TITLES...in anything

Just starting however to draw better crowds and attention the last couple of years...Alot of Patience?

Its a tough Choice...Missouri Valley Conference...is a middle of road Div 1 B-Ball Conference...Lower for all other sports...

Another example would be Northern Iowa...Moved to Div / Div 1AA..in around 1978...

This was there 1st year they made it to the Natl Champ game in football...

There BBAll teams went around 14-15 years inbetween conference titles..Mac got them there last 2 years...Lost in 1st Round on both

I believe they have had some success in other sports as far as conference titles...few and far between...

However...NO NATIONAL TITLES...in anything

Just starting however to draw better crowds and attention the last couple of years...Alot of Patience?

Its a tough Choice...Missouri Valley Conference...is a middle of road Div 1 B-Ball Conference...Lower for all other sports...

Talked to Northern Iowas AD Rick Hartzell a couple years ago (who wasn't the AD at the time of the move) and asked him straight out...knowing what you know now...would you make the move to DI? He said no, too expensive and "opportunities for national success are suprisingly few and far between." Schools "like us" can't compete on the real DI level and "alumni are hesitant to write a big check" when about all you can aspire to is a "conference championship."

Seems like if you want to sell out ALL your athletic programs for possible success at the di-AA level in FB(which CoachDags correctly points out is basically a glorified DII) - go ahead and do it! Just be aware of the consequences....