SiouxSports.com Forum

Myron Allen Eligibility

star2city

"His (Bjork's) contact with Myron was not as an agent but as a friend," Glas said. "He has been Myron's friend and mentor since his sophomore year of high school. He was just helping Myron out. He's helped out a lot of kids."

This sentence makes me question the "family friend" angle. The story says Bjork had been a friend and mentor since Myron's sophomore year. Hmmm, is it coincidence that they became friends right about the time where agents determine if a kid is going to be good or not? And did they become "friends" based on the fact that Myron was a good basketball player? Almost certainly yes. If Bjork had been a family friend since Myron was 5 years old, I would change my opinion.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Myron Allen has any football background? I assume he would still have college eligibility in sports other than basketball. Chris Weinke played 6 or 7 years of minor league baseball before going to Florida State for football. Tim Dwight came back to Iowa to compete in one last year of track after his rookie year in the NFL. With Allen's athletic ability, I'm sure Dale Lennon would give him a shot. I know it's a longshot, but it would be a chance to earn a partial scholarship, continue his education, and compete in college athletics for at least one more year.

At Sioux boosters today in Fargo, rich Glas seemed pretty confident that when UND files it's appeal on Wednesday or Thursday that the committee will show a little common sense and Myron Allen will be have his eligibility reinstated by the 5 member committee--hopefully sooner than later. He said they have already asked for Myron's class schedule so the conference call can be arranged. By the way the guest mc at todays sioux Booster meeting in Fargo was none other than Ed Schultz----just kidding!!!

At Sioux boosters today in Fargo, rich Glas seemed pretty confident that when UND files it's appeal on Wednesday or Thursday that the committee will show a little common sense and Myron Allen will be have his eligibility reinstated by the 5 member committee--hopefully sooner than later. He said they have already asked for Myron's class schedule so the conference call can be arranged. By the way the guest mc at todays sioux Booster meeting in Fargo was none other than Ed Schultz----just kidding!!!

That's great news. Let's just hope everything goes though. Myron seems like a really good guy that didn't do anything on purpose, he just probably thought "oh pro basketball? Awesome!" He really deserves to play, cuz from what I hear, his GPA is really good, too, meaning he's working hard on all fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

Banchee, get a grip on the situation before you talk about a subject. Anyone who has closely followed the situation would know that the punishment did not fit the crime. This situation is not what the rules were intended for and that is why UND had a legitimate case on the appeal. And no UND will not have to forfeit the games he played in because as soon as they found out, UND self-reported and pulled him from the lineup.

While I think that saying UND cheated is going overboard, I fail to see how the Sioux can get by without forfeiting games just because they self reported. They used an ineligible player. Has there been an official announcement from the NCAA on forfeiture of games?

On Allen - while it's unfortunate, I don't see how the NCAA could have ruled any other way. JMHO.

In my opinion, whether or not UND has to forfeit any games makes no practical difference because it's quite apparent the Sioux will not make the post-season either way. This may be a bigger issue if UND were sitting at 18-1 right now and had a legitimate chance at an at-large tournament bid, but they do not. The only chance the Sioux have for the post-season would be to win the conference tournament, in which case the non-conference forfeits would make no real difference anyway due to the automatic bid.

As for Bancheedog, he/she evidently is interested in this matter because Southwest St. would stand to get another victory if forfeits are forthcoming. However, similar to UND, Southwest St.'s overall record is pretty mediocre either way so I fail to see how it would particularly benefit their post-season chances. If they make the post-season, they will likely have to win the NSIC tournament and get the automatic bid. Again, if they were sitting with a better overall record and had a good chance for an at-large bid this may be a bigger issue, but I don't see how having 6 instead of 7 losses right now would make a huge difference in the scheme of things, particularly when a win over UND isn't going to be all that impressive to the regional committee now anyway due to the fact that the Sioux are not doing particularly well.

For what it's worth, I don't believe any penalty has been assessed yet to Northern Colorado for their use of an ineligible quarterback for 3 or 4 games, so I wouldn't expect any sort of prompt decision by the NCAA as to potential forfeits.

UNDLAW,

Obviously you do not follow the BB teams closely. The mens team has a good chance of going into the postseason without winning the pstseason tourney. They were ranked #9 lin the region ast week and will probably remain there this week after splitting on the road, losing a close one at SDSU which is the toughest place to play in the league. The top 8 teams make the regional playoffs. So if they take care of their home court and go .500 on the road, they will have a decent chance to make the playoffs.

As far as a win over UND not being that impressive, I beg to differ. The NCC is very tough again this year and teams like USD, SDSU, Omaha. St.Cloud, UND and maybe even NDSU are all very even. Most games between these teams are coming down to the wire. Hell if UND could shoot free throws worth a damn down the stretch of a game, they could easily be 7-1 in NCC play. Its the little things like that that separate teams, but I think every coach thats beats UND right now feels darn lucky to have survived. That is only because we have Beasley, but that is one heck of an obstacle to overcome for any team.

It sure doesn't help having Glas as coach either, he must be a 3-4 point difference a night, maybe even more against the better coaches such as Nagy out of SDSU. UND will not realize its full potential in BB until Glas is finally gone. This guy is basically clueless!!

UNDLAW,

Obviously you do not follow the BB teams closely.  The mens team has a good chance of going into the postseason without winning the pstseason tourney.  They were ranked #9 lin the region ast week and will probably remain there this week after splitting on the road, losing a close one at SDSU which is the toughest place to play in the league.  The top 8 teams make the regional playoffs. So if they take care of their home court and go .500 on the road, they will have a decent chance to make the playoffs.

As far as a win over UND not being that impressive, I beg to differ.  The NCC is very tough again this year and teams like USD, SDSU, Omaha. St.Cloud, UND and maybe even NDSU are all very even. Most games between these teams are coming down to the wire. Hell if UND could shoot free throws worth a damn down the stretch of a game, they could easily be 7-1 in NCC play.  Its the little things like that that separate teams, but I think every coach thats beats UND right now feels darn lucky to have survived.  That is only because we have Beasley, but that is one heck of an obstacle to overcome for any team.

It sure doesn't help having Glas as coach either, he must be a 3-4 point difference a night, maybe even more against the better coaches such as Nagy out of SDSU. UND will not realize its full potential in BB until Glas is finally gone.  This guy is basically clueless!!

Actually I do follow the hoops teams very closely, but I will acknowledge that reasonable minds could differ with regard to whether the men have much of a chance of reaching the post-season without winning the conference tournament. I kind of lost faith after losing 3 of the last 4 games, including what I consider to be an inexplicable home loss to a team with exactly one good player and no size to speak of, a.k.a. NDSU.

I felt quite confident that this was going to be THE year for UND men's basketball and it has turned out to be a disappointment. I agree that the Sioux are more than capable of beating anybody in the league, but by the same token they are just as capable of losing to anyone.

As much as I like Rich Glas as a person, I do agree with you. Case in point was the fact that against NDSU, a simple zone defense basically shut down the offense. Each team had one great player, and they double and triple teamed ours, while we played man to man against there's, even at the end of the game when they were just clearing out half the floor and letting Tenbroek go one on one. That's not good coaching. Miles isn't exactly a coaching genious in my opinion, but at least he was smart enough to make someone other than Beasley beat them, particularly down the stretch. Unfortunately, Rich didn't make somebody other than Tenbroek beat us.

UND 9296,

You are right on the NDSU comparison, we let TenBroek score a couple of key baskets down the stretch with a double team or weak side help. I do think part of the blame for that loss had to go to the officals though, not so much them, but the style they called. The physical play they let go on was about the only way for the Bison to come out on top. Beasley getting hammered like that was the only reason he didn't put up 41 on them again.

As for Glas, I think the thing that bothers me the most is his lack of discipline. Stupid plays like hot-dogging it or these damn missed slam dunks are killing the team. Brandt against NDSU was a perfect example. He had a banged up leg, but tried for the slam anyway, well he got rejected by the RIM(idiot!! Brandt, not the rim). Or the examples of Myron earlier in the year, they missed out on two easy points and not one thing is said about it to them. A player should be benched when they pull crap like this when the game is not yet decided. And I don't want to hear anymore of this crap about the tough breaks the team has caught this year. Other than the Vermillion fiasco, get over it and play. SDSU has THREE starters and a key backup center missing basically all season and just keep winning. Heck if Glas did not have Beasley fall into his lap, this team would be the laughing stock of the NCC. BTW, we already should be with that loss to D2 powerhouse UMC.

It appears that Myron, although very appreciative of the scholarship offer, will return to Texas where his family is. He plans to go to NBA tryouts and continue playing basketball somewhere.

It will be too bad if he doesn't get his education. He is a good player but will unlikely get set for life through basketball. He had really started to become a good student!

UND 9296,

Heck if Glas did not have Beasley fall into his lap, this team would be the laughing stock of the NCC.  BTW, we already should be with that loss to D2 powerhouse UMC.

You just might be. The mocking of the handicaped prior to the NDSU game certainly hasnt done anything to help your image. You've learned how to pay lip service to your other issue of exploitation now it's apparently necessary for you to learn to ape other forms of socially acceptable behavior.

Your BB crisis is coming to a head. Mediocre with one great player, poor coaching, lack of rules enforcement and of course the loss to Crookston. Definately on the outside looking in. Tough spot to be for a team that was going to win the title as an afterthought. You need to take a very close look at your coaching situtation. It may not be up to DII standards, on or off the court.