SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Who's starting those rumors, Wisconsin fans? I just don't see a top end player like Fabbro going to a place like Wisco, right now.

Why not? I'm thinking UW needs a lot of help on D so he could possibly be a big contributor right away.

Who's starting those rumors, Wisconsin fans? I just don't see a top end player like Fabbro going to a place like Wisco, right now.

I think I read somewhere that one or both of them may have some connection to Wisconsin.  Maybe a family member who went there or played a sport there. 

I think I read somewhere that one or both of them may have some connection to Wisconsin.  Maybe a family member who went there or played a sport there. 

From the Interweb...

Why UW when a talent such as Fabbro could likely write his ticket anywhere?

For one thing, Steve Fabbro grew up with and is close friends with two former Badgers. Doug Macdonald, a standout center from 1988 to ’92, and Maco Balkovec, a front-line defenseman from 1991 to ’95, implored the Fabbros to check out their alma mater.

“I respect those guys and their opinions,’’ Steve Fabbro said of Macdonald and Balkovec, who grew up in nearby Port Moody and helped lead UW to the NCAA title game in 1992.

Steve Fabbro said his friends pointed out how UW coach Mike Eaves and his staff have a tremendous track record of developing NHL-ready talent. Eighteen are currently on NHL rosters, including BC products Justin Schultz (West Kelowna) with Edmonton, Ben Street (Coquitlam) with Calgary and Kyle Turris (New Westminster) with Ottawa.

From the Interweb...

Why UW when a talent such as Fabbro could likely write his ticket anywhere?

For one thing, Steve Fabbro grew up with and is close friends with two former Badgers. Doug Macdonald, a standout center from 1988 to ’92, and Maco Balkovec, a front-line defenseman from 1991 to ’95, implored the Fabbros to check out their alma mater.

“I respect those guys and their opinions,’’ Steve Fabbro said of Macdonald and Balkovec, who grew up in nearby Port Moody and helped lead UW to the NCAA title game in 1992.

Steve Fabbro said his friends pointed out how UW coach Mike Eaves and his staff have a tremendous track record of developing NHL-ready talent. Eighteen are currently on NHL rosters, including BC products Justin Schultz (West Kelowna) with Edmonton, Ben Street (Coquitlam) with Calgary and Kyle Turris (New Westminster) with Ottawa.

1991-95 UW and 2013-2015 UW are clearly different places. If the NHL development track record is what he wants, he'll look elsewhere. UND, BC, BU, etc. have better track records of late and aren't in chaos mode.

Funny how people here are ready to write off the Wisconsin program after one bad season.  They will have a legitimate shot at the kid. 

I guess I see it as more than "just one season". Sure, it was one year, but it was a disaster. They have lost recruits and have serious questions in their coaching ranks. I'll be shocked if they are any sort of a contender this year. I guess if the kid wants to come in to UW and try and restore the program, or that they know they'll get playing time, those could be reasons to play there.

But my point is, why would a top end recruit want to go to a program who is giving the impression of instability when UND, BC. BU, etc., can offer all the positives without the problems?

I guess I see it as more than "just one season". Sure, it was one year, but it was a disaster. They have lost recruits and have serious questions in their coaching ranks. I'll be shocked if they are any sort of a contender this year. I guess if the kid wants to come in to UW and try and restore the program, or that they know they'll get playing time, those could be reasons to play there.

But my point is, why would a top end recruit want to go to a program who is giving the impression of instability when UND, BC. BU, etc., can offer all the positives without the problems?

Wisconsin is still Wisconsin.  They'll be back.  But to one of your points, Wisconsin is going to be terrible this year.

As I noted previously, Wisco just landed a big time recruit.

Not to mention the competition level in the conference. Big 10 is arguably the 5th best conference for hockey right now. I would rate them 4th, but that is best case scenario.

Wisconsin is still Wisconsin.  They'll be back.  But to one of your points, Wisconsin is going to be terrible this year.

As I noted previously, Wisco just landed a big time recruit.

As I've said to NDSU fans, I'll say here:

How things are today is how they'll always be. 

(And if you believe that I have this for sale.) 

And I agree with you that they will eventually be just fine, never said anything to the contrary, but RIGHT NOW, why would a top recruit want to commit to them? Fabbro is coming next season and will probably be a 2-3 year player. So, is UW going to be good in the next four years? Maybe, but we know (unless something drastically changes) UND, BC, BU will. The latter three have all the amenities as UW, and better, and have current stability.

And I agree with you that they will eventually be just fine, never said anything to the contrary, but RIGHT NOW, why would a top recruit want to commit to them? Fabbro is coming next season and will probably be a 2-3 year player. So, is UW going to be good in the next four years? Maybe, but we know (unless something drastically changes) UND, BC, BU will. The latter three have all the amenities as UW, and better, and have current stability.

Yeah, I understand having connections to a program but they just had the worst season in program history.

In fact, they may have had the worst season of any "major" school in college hockey history.

Fans are fleeing Kohl Center by the thousands, players are de-committing or leaving mid-season, and the product on the ice is uninspiring. I just don't see the appeal of a top recruit wanting to go into that situation next year but just my opinion.

However you feel about the Wisconsin and the BIG10 you can't argue that Eaves and his staff have been extremely successful at developing NHL defenseman.  They tied BC for the most players in the NHL last year.  As a defenseman and someone who I assume wants to play in the NHL someday that has to hold some appeal to Fabbro.  Since he is Canadian and also appears to have at least some connections I don't think it is too crazy for him to list them in his top 3.  A top three is a huge difference from committing to them.

Do I think he will end up going to Wisco? Who knows?  He is still deciding if he even wants to go the NCAA route from what I've read (unless this top 3 means he has decided on going the college route). 

And that concludes the first and last time I will ever defend Wisconsin.  He seems to be a decently smart kid based on the fact he visited both Yale and Harvard so I hope at the end of the day he make a smart choice and decides to join the good guys. :D

However you feel about the Wisconsin and the BIG10 you can't argue that Eaves and his staff have been extremely successful at developing NHL defenseman. They tied BC for the most players in the NHL last year. As a defenseman and someone who I assume wants to play in the NHL someday that has to hold some appeal to Fabbro.

Agreed

However you feel about the Wisconsin and the BIG10 you can't argue that Eaves and his staff have been extremely successful at developing NHL defenseman.  They tied BC for the most players in the NHL last year.  As a defenseman and someone who I assume wants to play in the NHL someday that has to hold some appeal to Fabbro.  Since he is Canadian and also appears to have at least some connections I don't think it is too crazy for him to list them in his top 3.  A top three is a huge difference from committing to them.

Again, I'm not arguing of their past... I'm saying that RIGHT NOW, they are a mess. UND, BC, BU, etc. develop NHL players just a well, if not better and aren't a mess right now. That's all I'm saying.

1991-95 UW and 2013-2015 UW are clearly different places. If the NHL development track record is what he wants, he'll look elsewhere. UND, BC, BU, etc. have better track records of late and aren't in chaos mode.

True...just showing the connection to Bucky.

As I've said to NDSU fans, I'll say here:

How things are today is how they'll always be. 

(And if you believe that I have this for sale.) 

How Much you asking?  I've purchased some from you in the past and they've all been in disrepair.  I'd want a 5 year maintenance plan included in the deal.

How Much you asking?  I've purchased some from you in the past and they've all been in disrepair.  I'd want a 5 year maintenance plan included in the deal.

For you, half of double price. That covers your purchase of the item and the service plan. 

I don't think he'll end up there either but those rumors are coming from more than wisconsin fans. Also, Wisconsin just land a huge D recruit 2 days ago.

The last time they got a player this young he ended up at UND. If he's as good as people say he is, OHL is a high possibility.

The last time they got a player this young he ended up at UND. If he's as good as people say he is OHL is a high possibility.

That is an option for every top end recruit. My point was that recruits will still go there....they just got one. It was just an example. Wisconsin is not going to disappear from the college hockey landscape. They are simply going to have a few rough years.

• Upvote 1

That is an option for every top end recruit. My point was that recruits will still go there....they just got one. It was just an example. Wisconsin is not going to disappear from the college hockey landscape. They are simply going to have a few rough years.

I agree.   I had a great time and education at UND, but I can see why any 18 - 20 year old kid would be attracted to Madison.   The hockey is at the top of the list for everyone at this level, but it's not the only thing, and if a player feels the program is about to turn around, that campus would be hard to say no to after a visit.   For some kids.  Not all, of course.

I was listening to tps guys podcast and just noted that he is definitely leaning towards college and that he "really really liked ND". He did note that Denver is an option too though.

Who are you referring to, scpa?