SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Andy Strickland @andystrickland  ·  6h 6 hours ago

Matthew Tkachuk has decomitted from the University of Notre Dame. London #Knights own his #OHL rights. 2016 #NHL draft eligible #usntdp

Would guess he ends up in the OHL but if he is still interested in the college route he would be a nice addition.

Interesting, he seems good though.  That ND team always seems very overrated.  BU, that's where his pops played and some of these up and coming recruits really like that new coach they have.

You are going to see more and more of these decommits, in my opinion.  It seems like every year now we see at least one, if not more, top prospects decommit. 

It's like a divorce.  Once there is no longer a stigma attached to something, it just becomes more common.  Kids change their mind.  As they work their way through the junior ranks, new teammates talk to them about switching schools.  The Canadian junior leagues are always there.

I would hate to be a college hockey recruiter, especially going forward.  It's going to be the wild, wild west.

Wasn't Minnesota after Gersich and Poganski?

Neither blue chips. High end yes Gersich and being brotens nephew.

pogs probably considered a step lower.

Would be a great get but if Hak could reel in Matthews for a season that would be gigantic with nick schmaltz, cags and Gersich coming in! Potential #1 picks don't roam around college much so would be a sweet if somehow happens

Neither blue chips. High end yes Gersich and being brotens nephew.

pogs probably considered a step lower.

Would be a great get but if Hak could reel in Matthews for a season that would be gigantic with nick schmaltz, cags and Gersich coming in! Potential #1 picks don't roam around college much so would be a sweet if somehow happens

Guess we need to define blue chip better because other than Schmaltz, who of Gersich, Poganski and Wilkie were considered blue chips to have some saying it could be one of, if not the best recruiting class ever?   Just goes to show how things can change from year to year.  Guess I would ask the same of Mismash, then -- is he a blue chip, and by that what do we mean -- 1st round pick, 2nd round pick?

Guess we need to define blue chip better because other than Schmaltz, who of Gersich, Poganski and Wilkie were considered blue chips to have some saying it could be one of, if not the best recruiting class ever? Just goes to show how things can change from year to year. Guess I would ask the same of Mismash, then -- is he a blue chip, and by that what do we mean -- 1st round pick, 2nd round pick?

1st rounders for me I guess. I get what you are saying. Matthews would be an elite blue chip of theres another level:) potential top pick. Yeah it's fun and interesting to follow the recruiting process from a far.

Guess we need to define blue chip better because other than Schmaltz, who of Gersich, Poganski and Wilkie were considered blue chips to have some saying it could be one of, if not the best recruiting class ever?   Just goes to show how things can change from year to year.  Guess I would ask the same of Mismash, then -- is he a blue chip, and by that what do we mean -- 1st round pick, 2nd round pick?

Blue chips are first round eligible prospects or guys taken in the first round.  Neither Gersich or Pogs fit.  I am high on Gersich though.  I think he'll breakout during his soph, junior or senior years.

You are going to see more and more of these decommits, in my opinion. It seems like every year now we see at least one, if not more, top prospects decommit.

It's like a divorce. Once there is no longer a stigma attached to something, it just becomes more common. Kids change their mind. As they work their way through the junior ranks, new teammates talk to them about switching schools. The Canadian junior leagues are always there.

I would hate to be a college hockey recruiter, especially going forward. It's going to be the wild, wild west.

Steven Ruggiero the next on the list to decommit. A "C" rated play formerly commited to Penn State decommitted.

Just a thought, but the originial conversation about Blue Chips lost to Minnesota, would not be that relevant if we go by 1st round draft status, because I believe Brady Skjei is the only 1st rounder they have.  Also, if we use that as the definition, then Tony Hrkac, Greg Johnson, Jason Blake, etc. were not Blue Chip prospects and the buzz around them coming into the program was huge.  You don't hear that kind of buzz very often about prospects.  And if you go exclusively by that thought process, Joe Finley was Blue Chip, while Rocco Grimaldi wasn't.  No disrespect to Joe Finley, but I would consider an undrafted Troy Stecher more of a blue chip prospect.  That really takes most small guys like Taylor Cammarrata out of the blue chip picture as well, and he was thought to be one of the big recruits coming into college hockey last year.

• Upvote 1

I guess I look at the term Blue Chipper as someone who is going to come in as a freshman and make an impact right away, to the point of being on one of the all league or all rookie teams.  So a recruit can start off looking like a blue chipper, but by the time he gets to campus he might not be.  I think Gersich is going to be an impact player with us right away next year.  With all the players we lose, he is going to have more of an opportunity to do so. 

Just a thought, but the originial conversation about Blue Chips lost to Minnesota, would not be that relevant if we go by 1st round draft status, because I believe Brady Skjei is the only 1st rounder they have.  Also, if we use that as the definition, then Tony Hrkac, Greg Johnson, Jason Blake, etc. were not Blue Chip prospects and the buzz around them coming into the program was huge.  You don't hear that kind of buzz very often about prospects.  And if you go exclusively by that thought process, Joe Finley was Blue Chip, while Rocco Grimaldi wasn't.  No disrespect to Joe Finley, but I would consider an undrafted Troy Stecher more of a blue chip prospect.  That really takes most small guys like Taylor Cammarrata out of the blue chip picture as well, and he was thought to be one of the big recruits coming into college hockey last year.

The key word is prospect.  1st rd draft picks are blue chip prospects.  Prospects don't always pan out.  Remember these kids get drafted at 18 years old.

All 3 of the Fighting Sioux 98s that played for Team USA are blue chippers that we won head to head with Minnesota (at least 2 any way).  AND all 3 are from Minnesota.

That may be a stretch, Mitchell Mattson is the only potential blue chipper I believe.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits