SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I think it's just a matter of time before he is officially a UMD recruit. I don't see any chance he goes elsewhere.

Allow me to be the Devil's Advocate: Where is Mario Lucia playing right now?

That said, I don't see Sandy's kid at UND (or anywhere in the NCHC) or at UMinn. 

And now I pick up the Tabasco in case I have to eat those words later. ;) 

I think it's just a matter of time before he is officially a UMD recruit. I don't see any chance he goes elsewhere.

That is what I figured too but I have seen some Duluth fans and other hockey people speculate that Sandelin may not want to deal with the father/son dynamic and they thought he could end up at UND, Omaha, or Notre Dame. I would think if he doesn't go to Duluth that he won't end up in the NCHC but who knows.

So who might the Sioux be looking at, here are a few that might fit the profile.

Tyson Jost

Dante Fabbro

Tanner Twente

Riley Simpson

Jonah Bischoff

Grant Mismash

A few more possible Minnesota high school targets off the top of my head:

Hank Sorenson D-Wayzata

John Stampohar D-Grand Rapids

Calvin Pugh D-Edina

Casey Staum D-Hill Murray

Jaxon Nelson F-Luverne

Ashton Altman F-Duluth East

Ryan Sandelin F-Hermantown

John Peterson F-Holy Family

Kevin Fellows F-Prior Lake

Dayton Rasmussen G-Holy Family

Jake Oettinger G-Lakeville North/NTDP

So I guess Matthews is coming for a visit!

The USA U17s don't play in Fargo until mid March so he could be coming any time.  This would be a player of Toews / Parise stature.  

http://www.uscho.com/recruiting/2014/10/29/highly-touted-matthews-has-five-colleges-and-major-juniors-as-options-but-hes-in-no-hurry/

Maybe he, Jost, and Fabbro can commit together.  Here's dreaming...

The USA U17s don't play in Fargo until mid March so he could be coming any time. This would be a player of Toews / Parise stature.

http://www.uscho.com/recruiting/2014/10/29/highly-touted-matthews-has-five-colleges-and-major-juniors-as-options-but-hes-in-no-hurry/

Maybe he, Jost, and Fabbro can commit together. Here's dreaming...

Don't get me excited...

The USA U17s don't play in Fargo until mid March so he could be coming any time. This would be a player of Toews / Parise stature.

He plays for the u 18 squad. All in all, this is great news.

Yeah I'm mot going to elaborate on the personal level of excitement that conjured up at that thought.

How great would it be to have Nick Schmaltz setting up Auston Matthews next year.   I think that set-up would go a long way in moving Matthews to the top of the 2016 draft, nevermind the puck-moving defensemen that could do the same. 

How great would it be to have Nick Schmaltz setting up Auston Matthews next year.   I think that set-up would go a long way in moving Matthews to the top of the 2016 draft, nevermind the puck-moving defensemen that could do the same. 

I was thinking the same thing last night, that has to be his thinking for adding UND to the list.  I remember seeing a listing before in which UND was not on the list.  In the past week or so he has added them.

I was thinking the same thing last night, that has to be his thinking for adding UND to the list.  I remember seeing a listing before in which UND was not on the list.  In the past week or so he has added them.

I really hope Matthews is considering UND strongly because it would be really exciting to get to watch him play at The Ralph, even if only for a year or two.

However, do you think Eichel could stay at BU for another year because I'd have to imagine that being a strong factor in his decision too with their history together.  That would be a scary first line to play against for the Terriers.

I really hope Matthews is considering UND strongly because it would be really exciting to get to watch him play at The Ralph, even if only for a year or two.

However, do you think Eichel could stay at BU for another year because I'd have to imagine that being a strong factor in his decision too with their history together.  That would be a scary first line to play against for the Terriers.

Jack Eichel has no business playing one more year of college hockey. He could be a 1 line center in the NHL. He will not play another year at BU. Just ain't gonna happen. However, N. Schmatlz will be playing another year at UND because the Blackhawks have too much depth. :-)

You have to realize Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid are the best 1-2 punch since Ovie the great and Malkin. Both players are playing in the NHL next year. No matter what, no question. Just wait to see what these two do at the world juniors!