SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

There isn't any downside to having jones for a year if he decides on UND! He's a top 5 draft pick and its known that it's a one year plan 2 tops but likely one year you roll with it! Only reason toews played 2 years is because he accelerated or else it would have have 1. Jones could be the first pick! That does nothing but help north dakota in numerous ways in the future if he decides to bring his talents to south beach;) errr I mean the tropical area know as Grand Forks:) come on Seth!! No brainer

Many thought Forbort might be a one and done and now it looks like we might get at least 3 years. We probably won't get 3 years out of Rocco now, so should we send him packing? I think the fact that we didn't get a championship during the Toews and Parise years shows just how hard it is in a one and done format. We didn't get it done with a Senior laden group either, and when we recruit future players, how many do you think will say that they came because UND produced great talent like Evan Trupp, Brad Malone and Derrick LaPoint? Sure, some might recognize the name Frattin down the line, but you aren't always going to get a guy like Frattin to stick around four years either. I think if Jones understands what it will take to make the jump at defense to the big league, he might actually stick around a couple years and play against the mature competition so he is NHL ready when he makes the jump.

I hope you all are right and he does come here. I personally think he is not going to want to be burdened with school work. He wants to go to the NHL quick and I just see him thinking the CHL is the best for him. I hope to gosh I am wrong. True as many have said even if he stays one year it really is worth the name recogition and a recruiting tool. Come on Seth GF will go crazy for you!

I have one caveat in wanting Jones to come for a year or two, that being he is the consummate teammate that Toews and Parise were, and doesn't have one foot in the NHL and one in college. If he comes and has an expectation when and what situations the coaches should be playing him like Erik Johnson seemed to do, then I would question if the team concept would be harmed. I have confidence that he could fit into the Fighting Sioux philosophy like the forementioned did, and am certain that Hakstol has confidence that he would as well, or I'm sure he wouldn't be recruiting him. The fact that Hakstol has told guys if they are coming back they need to be all in, would lead me to believe that he isn't looking to keep guys an extra year or bring guys in for a year or two, unless they are committed to the program.

I have one caveat in wanting Jones to come for a year or two, that being he is the consummate teammate that Toews and Parise were, and doesn't have one foot in the NHL and one in college. If he comes and has an expectation when and what situations the coaches should be playing him like Erik Johnson seemed to do, then I would question if the team concept would be harmed. I have confidence that he could fit into the Fighting Sioux philosophy like the forementioned did, and am certain that Hakstol has confidence that he would as well, or I'm sure he wouldn't be recruiting him. The fact that Hakstol has told guys if they are coming back they need to be all in, would lead me to believe that he isn't looking to keep guys an extra year or bring guys in for a year or two, unless they are committed to the program.

And of course all that above only matters if he comes here. Which has yet to be determined. I guess I just wouldn't get your hopes up.

I personally don't think he's coming but hell who knows. Would be a hell of a talent to watch for a year if so. He's on different level when it comes to talent at his position when using the names of forbort ect.. at his stage.

And of course all that above only matters if he comes here. Which has yet to be determined. I guess I just wouldn't get your hopes up.

Like I said, I am an optimist. I think if he takes a long hard look at what will help him be NHL ready, he will give UND a good hard look. And unless he is lying, when he says he is losing sleep over the decision leads me to believe it is a hard decision one way or the other. If he doesn't come, UND still has a great outlook for next year. It's funny, when bunches of fans are overconfident, see Michigan game in the Frozen Four last year, I am kind of leary. When everybody is pessimistic, I tend to look at the possibilities. Have seen way to much on this board or elsewhere that there is "No chance" only to have it turn the other way, see Luke Johnson committing to UND. The great thing is that even if he doesn't commit, I am not going to be one of the "sky is falling" type who are wondering if the Sioux will ever get a recruit as good as Minnesota does. The Sioux are who they are because they fit together the pieces of the puzzle who they have and always manage to be a top-end team, see this year's team.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, I am an optimist. I think if he takes a long hard look at what will help him be NHL ready, he will give UND a good hard look. If he doesn't come, UND still has a great outlook for next year. It's funny, when bunches of fans are overconfident, see Michigan game in the Frozen Four last year, I am kind of leary. When everybody is pessimistic, I tend to look at the possibilities. Have seen way to much on this board or elsewhere that there is "No chance" only to have it turn the other way, see Luke Johnson committing to UND. The great thing is that even if he doesn't commit, I am not going to be one of the "sky is falling" type who are wondering if the Sioux will ever get a recruit as good as Minnesota does. The Sioux are who they are because they fit together the pieces of the puzzle who they have and always manage to be a top-end team, see this year's team.

I agree and of course UND will be just fine even if Mr. Jones doesn't come here. I hope he does but I am not feeling he will be coming here due to a few factors and of course they are just my thoughts and are trivial perhaps. 1. His brothers experience with the NCAA route 2. Doesn't like cold weather.

I agree and of course UND will be just fine even if Mr. Jones doesn't come here. I hope he does but I am not feeling he will be coming here due to a few factors and of course they are just my thoughts and are trivial perhaps. 1. His brothers experience with the NCAA route 2. Doesn't like cold weather.

Who knows, maybe he would stay at UND for 4 years if he is drafted by Winnipeg and he doesn't like cold weather. :lol:

Our winter was probably as tame as Ann Arbors this year. Of course it is pretty nice every winter, right! ;) Maybe that is why he doesn't look like he'll visit until March, if he visits at all.

I would love to have guys like Blood and Mac all day long. They are true warriors and play for the name on the jersey..

Oh of course and I agree with this million percent! 2 of my all time favorite sioux d men! Just when a player like jones comes along and that the Sioux are actually a player is impressive with today's age of recruiting.

Any others out there around the area or anywhere that the Sioux are looking at for those in the know? We seem to have some big time d talent in the waiting with or without jones but adding him is a game changer in many ways

WHL written all over him...

I disagree, if this was the case the deal will be done. I think some of you are really downplaying how great of an experience college and particularly UND is. Experience, education, fans, and development: UND doesn't take a back seat to anyone.

• Upvote 1

Oh of course and I agree with this million percent! 2 of my all time favorite sioux d men! Just when a player like jones comes along and that the Sioux are actually a player is impressive with today's age of recruiting.

Any others out there around the area or anywhere that the Sioux are looking at for those in the know? We seem to have some big time d talent in the waiting with or without jones but adding him is a game changer in many ways

I've read that Ian McCoshen, who was mentioned earlier in this thread I believe, has narrowed his choices to five schools with UND being the frontrunner at this point. He is a big strong physical d-man that would fit right in with the style of Sioux defensemen. He would be a very nice get. This info is coming from a Wisconsin fan who is in the know much more than I.

I disagree, if this was the case the deal will be done. I think some of you are really downplaying how great of an experience college and particularly UND is. Experience, education, fans, and development: UND doesn't take a back seat to anyone.

u r prolly right on that point. I just have that feeling though but u could totally right on the deal would be done already. Maybe Miles is talking his ear off to come here with him

Been out of the northern hs hockey loop this year. Any guys to keep an eye on from warroad, Roseau or Trf? Or other northern schools? Thanks to anyone in the know.

It doesn't really seem like there are any clear cut D1 studs, but some seniors I've seen that have the ability to definitely play after high school are Evan Ose and Riley Soderstrom TRF, Garrett Schmitz RLF, Jordan Heller and John Forseth Bemidji, Sam Coborn Park Rapids, Zack Lawdermilt and Tyler Hajicek EGF, Tommy Astrup and Hayden Timm Warroad, Michael Bitzer Moorhead. Some younger players to keep an eye on for the future Chris Forney 11 TRF, Tony Uglem 11 Moorhead, Matt Serratore 11 Bemidji, Eddie Eades 10 EGF, Colton Poolman 10 EGF, Dixon Bowen 9 EGF, Alex Strand 10 Roseau, Zach Yon 10 Roseau.

It doesn't really seem like there are any clear cut D1 studs, but some seniors I've seen that have the ability to definitely play after high school are Evan Ose and Riley Soderstrom TRF, Garrett Schmitz RLF, Jordan Heller and John Forseth Bemidji, Sam Coborn Park Rapids, Zack Lawdermilt and Tyler Hajicek EGF, Tommy Astrup and Hayden Timm Warroad, Michael Bitzer Moorhead. Some younger players to keep an eye on for the future Chris Forney 11 TRF, Tony Uglem 11 Moorhead, Matt Serratore 11 Bemidji, Eddie Eades 10 EGF, Colton Poolman 10 EGF, Dixon Bowen 9 EGF, Alex Strand 10 Roseau, Zach Yon 10 Roseau.

I would hope we would have a shot with players named Eades or Poolman. :)

Maybe, maybe not. Schlossman isn't sure if Jones has made an official visit to UND yet. If he hasn't, he might wait until after he visits to make a decision.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Seth Jones has not made an official visit.... I remember Brad saying that.