SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

After listening to this interview closely I think he said he was planning to go to school at UND or UofM, but he got some interest from junior hockey teams so he wasn't sure. It seems to me like he wasn't going to play hockey at UND or UofM but just attend school which makes more sense.

Is Lemieux expected to come in starting in 2014 or 2015?

We haven't had very good luck with sons of former NHLers lately. HIstorically, sure (Chorney et. al.) but as I learned with Matteau, I'll believe this is a good thing when he reports to Grand Forks. Until then, he's OHL bound in my book.

We haven't had very good luck with sons of former NHLers lately. HIstorically, sure (Chorney et. al.) but as I learned with Matteau, I'll believe this is a good thing when he reports to Grand Forks. Until then, he's OHL bound in my book.

You are exactly right. One of his first follow tweets was from a OHL scout. I hope we are wrong, but I see him using UND as a chip.

I love how when youtube "Kevin Wehrs", all of the video's that pop up are of him getting demolished. Poor guy.

There's a picture of him at the Plymouth Ice Center down here in the Cities. Last time I was there I had on a Frattin t-shirt. That felt awkward. But hey, at least Wayzata is proud of him!

• Upvote 1

You are exactly right. One of his first follow tweets was from a OHL scout. I hope we are wrong, but I see him using UND as a chip.

Let's not judge the kid. I'm happy to have him committed to UND and I hope the coaches/players/etc can convince him to actually come to UND. That OHL scout looks like a sneak and reeks of desperation.*

*I feel completely comfortable judging and bashing on an OHL scout. :hypocrite:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/229487/group/Sports/

Lemieux's words on education sound promising. I guess I am an optimist, thinking that UND does not need to take a back seat to anybody, and if kids look into that, they will see that. Sure there will be those that don't end up coming, but when you have seen the atmosphere here, I think that should help a bit. Also, from what I understood, he was tweeting Rocco Grimaldi, and if that is the case I am sure Rocco would encourage him with the benefits of campus life, even though he hasn't even seen the ice much in his first year. Who knows, maybe Hakstol is thinking he will at least get one of the two between him and Wilkie.

He's deciding within the week then. The popular answer seems to be that he will be told to go the junior route to play against the younger kids so that he looks better and his draft stock doesn't drop. Never know, though. He's a big kid who might want to face the challenge of playing some bigger opponents.

Brad Schlossman thinks he might wait a little longer to decide as Brad isn't sure if Jones has made an official visit to UND yet.

It would be great to have Jones for a year, but I'm not holding my breath. Jones said he wants to be in the NHL at age 19. JT Miller was in a hurry to get the NHL and opted to go to Major Junior.

I too would be surprised if he chose UND but who knows. His brother went the NCAA route and dropped out fairly quick so I would bet he plays for the CHL.

The big thing I see is this. He already knows he's going to the NHL after a year, possibly two. Why would he want to focus on school during that time? One thing UND has going for them, though, is that Koules might be trying to get him to come. People underestimate what your recruits can do to help you. Take Minnesota's football recruiting this year. They got the best QB recruit in the state and then he started recruiting the rest of the best players in the state himself. Lord behold it worked. One was a 4 star WR that was committed to an SEC school, and he backed out and signed with Minnesota.

I do believe the same thing could possibly happen with Jones.

I know I will probably be in the minority on this but I am not sure it is worth it to land Jones. No doubt he is a great talent but those one year hired guns don't really seem to work out well in building a program. You know he is going to leave quickly after the following season and then you just end up having to possibly fill a roster spot late in the spring or summer.

• Upvote 1

I know I will probably be in the minority on this but I am not sure it is worth it to land Jones. No doubt he is a great talent but those one year hired guns don't really seem to work out well in building a program. You know he is going to leave quickly after the following season and then you just end up having to possibly fill a roster spot late in the spring or summer.

In my opinion he should be a 2yr NCAA player if he goes that route. He would be able to work on building mass with the trainers and i feel would be much better prepared to jump to the NHL. Others may suggest going the CHL route. We will all see but I will be shocked if he steps foot on this campus. You are right though is it worth having him come to campus if it is just for one year. What happens if he gets hurt like Rocco. I know he comes from money as Popeye has had a good career in the NBA so we will see if they value a good education. Does he need the money? Sure he wants to be successfully on his own but he certainly will never have to eat Ramen Noodles or mac and cheese for weeks just to get by. College days were so fun.

In my opinion he should be a 2yr NCAA player if he goes that route. He would be able to work on building mass with the trainers and i feel would be much better prepared to jump to the NHL. Others may suggest going the CHL route. We will all see but I will be shocked if he steps foot on this campus. You are right though is it worth having him come to campus if it is just for one year. What happens if he gets hurt like Rocco. I know he comes from money as Popeye has had a good career in the NBA so we will see if they value a good education. Does he need the money? Sure he wants to be successfully on his own but he certainly will never have to eat Ramen Noodles or mac and cheese for weeks just to get by. College days were so fun.

Dont forget about the subsequent recruiting value of having him play for the Sioux, if even for one year. How much value do you think Toews brought us in our efforts to market the program after he left?

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits