SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Yeah, I think we need to take the high road on this and wish Matteau, Miller, and if need be Koules, the best of luck and go forward without them.

First, I agree there is probably some use by these kids of the threat of going the college route to exact a better CHL deal. But so what. I'd do the same thing. They have to look out for their best interests, not ours.

We're always going to lose recruiting battles, whether it's to another school, or to the CHL. But we'll win a few too, and we have to enjoy those kids while they're here. I hold no ill will towards a guy like Fasching. I wish him the best of luck in his decision to go to Minnesota and not UND. Same with guys like Miller and Matteau.

This is no time to be crying "woe is me." We'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think we need to take the high road on this and wish Matteau, Miller, and if need be Koules, the best of luck and go forward without them.

First, I agree there is probably some use by these kids of the threat of going the college route to exact a better CHL deal. But so what. I'd do the same thing. They have to look out for their best interests, not ours.

We're always going to lose recruiting battles, whether it's to another school, or to the CHL. But we'll win a few too, and we have to enjoy those kids while they're here. I hold no ill will towards a guy like Fasching. I wish him the best of luck in his decision to go to Minnesota and not UND. Same with guys like Miller and Matteau.

Well said.

I totally agree with that 100% but I still come back to the same question. Why commit to a team if you are not sure what you want to do. I mean come on just don't commit until you are sure. I know that sounds simple or black and white but if you are a high end talent than most teams will find room for you some way or another.

I totally agree with that 100% but I still come back to the same question. Why commit to a team if you are not sure what you want to do. I mean come on just don't commit until you are sure. I know that sounds simple or black and white but if you are a high end talent than most teams will find room for you some way or another.

Don't forget, these are high school age kids. Making a decision on a movie or a video game to play and committing to it can be difficult for them. Yet, at 15 or 16 we expect them to make a decision about where they are going to spend 3 or 4 years of their lives and don't believe that any of them are going to make a change. Some of these defections may be preplanned to get what they want. But others are probably just kids being kids. Unfortunately, it's part of the way the system works right now.

It hurts to lose players like we have, but lets not forget that the Sioux have gained a few players who have given verbals to other teams like Schmaltz, St. Clair and Gregoire. Didn't see many people hating on Gregoire. The difference obviously would be if the players are using college as leverage, and really only they know if that is the case or not.

It hurts to lose players like we have, but lets not forget that the Sioux have gained a few players who have given verbals to other teams like Schmaltz, St. Clair and Gregoire. Didn't see many people hating on Gregoire. The difference obviously would be if the players are using college as leverage, and really only they know if that is the case or not.

True, but every case is different.

Schmaltz...coach left

Gregiore....Denver changed their agreement with him

St. Clair...was 14?

vs.

Miller....changed mind 2 months before school started

Clarke....only committed to UND so that the Major Junior teams with the higher draft picks would pass on him

Matteau.....re-iterated his desire to come to UND 2 weeks ago while likely knowing what was going down

I agree with you only to a point. I agree with the idea of using the "threat" of going to college to get a better CHL deal as fair business. But committing to a university scholarship, giving your word, and then later backing out may be considered "fair" in love and war but really it's not ethical.

Changing your mind, legitimately, is one thing. We don't know his motives but we see enough of this where the end result are trades to preferential places that we can only assume in certain cases the university scholarship was used as a pawn.

And that's not ethical. It's just not.

I agree with you only to a point. I agree with the idea of using the "threat" of going to college to get a better CHL deal as fair business. But committing to a university scholarship, giving your word, and then later backing out may be considered "fair" in love and war but really it's not ethical.

Changing your mind, legitimately, is one thing. We don't know his motives but we see enough of this where the end result are trades to preferential places that we can only assume in certain cases the university scholarship was used as a pawn.

And that's not ethical. It's just not.

We don't know his motives, but we also don't know exactly what occurred.

For instance, when he gave his original committment, for all we know he had full intention of coming here. Then, months down the road the possibility of his rights getting traded to a CHL team where he has a strong family connection becomes a possibility, something that maybe wasn't even on the radar when the original committment was made. As those negotiations stall, he indicates that he still plans to come to UND as some incentive for the team holding his rights to pull the trigger on the trade. I don't have a problem with that.

Verbal committments and Letters of Intent aren't contracts requiring the kid to come to school. They are simply mechanisms adopted to put an end to the recruiting pressure that is placed on a kid at a given point in time.

But sometimes a kid has options outside of just other teams in the same organization, such as the NCAA. It's no different than a major college football player who signs a letter of intent, but at the last moment negotiates a big deal to play baseball with the Yankees.

I agree it's important for young men and women to understand committment, honoring your promises, etc... But these kids are asked to make a huge decision at a young age, and I have no problem anytime one of them wants to look out for number one.

We don't ever seem to have a problem when kids commit to the school, and then suddenly find themselves on the outside looking in because they just didn't develop in the USHL. I'm sure the Danny Mattson's of the world would love to have verbals and LOI's considered as binding contracts on both parties.

where can we see Hakstols comments?

The coaches show will probably show up on the UND Insider media player some time. I also saw that Brad S. had a pretty in-depth interview and story about it. You can find that if you go back a few posts on Brad's blog.

I thought it was interesting on the coaches show he made it sound like there's a guy or multiple guys that we could steal from Major Juniors, if the NCAA allowed Major Junior players to play college hockey.

Hakstol did say that there are not the players out there now to replace a Matteau. I guess my expectation is that the Sioux won't be able to get an elite recruit for next year but maybe more role players or diamonds in the rough that you never know how they are going to progress. Maybe over-recruiting is the answer. Kind of said that if the NCAA would allow, he is certain that he could get CHL guys down here if they were able to recruit guys like the CHL does. Would the NCAA not address the issue if there were issues in football or basketball? The fact that they did nothing to the Ohio State players last year says that they are willing to do anything to protect the cash cows.

I agree with you only to a point. I agree with the idea of using the "threat" of going to college to get a better CHL deal as fair business. But committing to a university scholarship, giving your word, and then later backing out may be considered "fair" in love and war but really it's not ethical. Changing your mind, legitimately, is one thing. We don't know his motives but we see enough of this where the end result are trades to preferential places that we can only assume in certain cases the university scholarship was used as a pawn. And that's not ethical. It's just not.
I'll agree with you on the ethics of it. But until the coaches are held to their contract (their "letter of intent"), I'm not getting too upset when a kids changes his mind. Both instances blur the ethical lines, but in the end both the Coach and the kids do what is in their best interest.

I don't think it's automatic that schools are just pulling scholarship offers to players. I think we'd find that there's communication about what they need to do in order to earn that spot, and ramifications of not following through, etc. I'm sure there are differences in opinion on whether a school surprised a player or not, and I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Anyone hear anything about recruitment of Dan Molenar, I know Sioux were looking at him last year before injury. Couple guys to watch in the Minnetonka and Duluth East game on now Max Coatta from Tonka and Jake Randolph from East.

I'd be surprised if Molenaar ended up at UND. From what I heard, he turned down UNO last year because he wanted to go to a better "academic" school. So he went to juniors. I heard Boston College was heavy after him also.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits